Author Topic: Redmarket. The ideas I get while listening to the actual plays.  (Read 118123 times)

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Redmarket. The ideas I get while listening to the actual plays.
« Reply #135 on: July 04, 2016, 11:20:13 AM »
Because all latent/immune characters need one, here are my stats for weaponised chainsaw: 

Chainsaw:
Upkeep 3
Charges ooooo ooooo
Effect: Kill damage

Qualities
Charged: Charges can be spent in addition to buy-a-roll to aid check
Cumbersome: Can’t be quick drawn
Hungry: two Charges must be spent for every one used
Loud
Manpower: spend rations to buy-a-roll
Messy: Any sucksessfull use agains Vector/Casualty causes anyone in melee range to have to make infection checks
Requires prep:  Takes one action to start before it can be used.
Specialized: (Melee: Chain-Saw)
Tool: Charges can be used to aid some scavenge and mechanic checks at Markets discretion
Potent: add +1 Kill damage

Uppgrades:
Hybrid: Buys of Hungry.
Upgraded motor: charges may be spent after the check for additional damage

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 05:19:12 PM by Gorkamorka »
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Gorkamorka

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 04, 2016, 11:42:31 AM »
Halberd/Dane Axe
Upkeep 1
Charges ooooo ooooo

Qualities
Melee
Reach: weapon can attack Casualties from one Shamble away
Specialized: (Melee: Halberd/Dane Axe)

Uppgrades:
Spearhead: weapon can hold a casualty or Vector in place for a Resistance check
Sturdy: buys off wear ‘n tear
Weighted: Spend a Charge on the weapon for knockback
Potent: Add +1 Kill damage

Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Gorkamorka

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 04, 2016, 05:46:49 PM »
@Caleb

I think stats for NPC shield carriers / torch-bearer / spear carrier would be interesting to add to the equipment list.

What I mean is how much is it to hire someone to carry stuff for me on one job.  Not a combat person, just someone to carry all the haul.  Sort of like the dog or horse stats, just for a person.

Coming to think of it it might be a part of a larger list of services a Taker could buy on a job to job bases.

Other possibilities of job to job bases services could be
- Drone flyover footage.
- Cab driver
- Extra fire power (person with gun)
- Medic
- Drone delivered care packages en route.  Food, ammo, medpacks...

What else?
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

RadioactiveBeer

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 04, 2016, 11:35:32 PM »
Aberrant idea!

The Cenotaph appears to be a variant of the Scarecrow, a Casualty whose Blight seems to have solidified like amber and 'frozen' them in place. The Blight then winds up and round into a pillar-like construction, wound through with grooves and holes; it looks like an H.R. Giger totem pole with yawning faces trapped behind glassy black Blight-stuff. The crenellations catch the wind queerly and make a haunting, song-like sound that carries for miles. A peculiar quality of this sound is that they seem to attract other Casualties like no other, like ringing the dinner bell. Having a Cenotaph in your neck of the woods is bad news because it means your enclave is about to have a stampede. When players are near a Cenotaph, the Market rolls Mass/Shamble each turn, regardless of whether or not loud weapons were used.

Samson Aberrants have developed a strange symbiotic (or at least non-toxic) relationship with local insect life. Their bodies are tunnelled through and hollowed out, turned into nests for the creatures they unknowingly harbour. A Samson might be surrounded by a horde of stinging wasps or bees who want Takers to keep away from their walking hive; Takers have to use their Twitch action to keep the wasps off. Alternatively, a Samson's abdominal cavity might contain hordes of Blight-covered (and thus infection) crawling insects like cockroaches and millipedes who spill out when the Samson takes damage; this probably inflicts a Humanity test to see and spreads infectious Blight across the ground near the Aberrant.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 01:45:54 PM by RadioactiveBeer »

Alethea

• View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #139 on: July 05, 2016, 05:24:07 PM »
Because all latent/immune characters need one, here are my stats for weaponised chainsaw: 

Chainsaw:
Upkeep 3
Charges ooooo ooooo

Qualities
Loud
Messy: Any sucksessfull use agains Vector/Casualty causes anyone in melee range to have to make infection checks
Tool: Charges can be used to aid some scavenge and mechanic checks at Markets discretion

Uppgrades:

I get what you're going for with having both charged and manpower (it's unwieldy so you have to wrestle with it in addition to spending gas for the saws to spin) but mechanically speaking they do the same thing. Otherwise I think I need to steal this for my next game/campaign.
All the social media:
Website | Tumblr | Twitter | GoodReads

Gorkamorka

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2016, 06:35:06 PM »

Chainsaw:
Upkeep 3
Charges ooooo ooooo

Qualities
Loud

Uppgrades:

I get what you're going for with having both charged and manpower (it's unwieldy so you have to wrestle with it in addition to spending gas for the saws to spin) but mechanically speaking they do the same thing. Otherwise I think I need to steal this for my next game/campaign.

Yeah I see where you are coming from. But having used one, those things aren't light or easy to swing around.

On a side note, i'm quite proud of the Messy quality.
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Teapot

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 10, 2016, 03:28:36 AM »
I think that most of the islands (Angel, Alcatraz, Santa Catalina, even Hog Island) would wind up under Navy/DHQS control pretty quick as staging areas and links to Hawaii. Which I imagine is now seen more as an "unsinkable" aircraft carrier and bulwark against China. I also think most of the famous islands are going to be the sites of massacres from everyone having the same clever idea on where to go.

Also I'll toss this map out:
http://choices.climatecentral.org/#15/38.5816/-121.4944?compare=scenarios&carbon-end-yr=2100&scenario-a=unchecked&scenario-b=extreme-cuts
I'm having trouble using it but I'm in China and internets are hard here. But I like it because I am a little sad I can't set a game in the flooded ruins of New York. I think I really want a town reclaimed by the ocean for a setting.

More thoughts looking at the At-A-Glance section. A lot of them come out pretty severe, anything that starts you with a crack kind of makes dependents, not useless, but not helpful against the other two cracks. Same with some of the others, I can't tell if they're supposed to even out or not. Scavenger can use their extra bounty to raise ADP and "buy off" their problem, hustlers can skip checks but likely wind up owing 5ish bounty a game, if the game goes say 10 sessions that turns into most of a retirement plan. On the other side, the Migrants are paying between 1-5 extra bounty a game for a 20 bounty savings, so a low CHA migrant can come out ahead and a high CHA comes out behind, where the Lost are paying 20 bounty for 2 skill points. (Milestones are 20 bounty right?)

On the other hand, I'm glad IP's thing where he knows people but they don't like him is gone. It seemed too easy to all but buy will for 1 bounty extra when he tapped a reference.

I think I'd like to see the design notes on this section to get a better idea of how they're supposed to be presented. Right now I'm thinking more of pick your poison.

Gorkamorka

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2016, 05:25:02 AM »
I think that most of the islands (Angel, Alcatraz, Santa Catalina, even Hog Island) would wind up under Navy/DHQS control pretty quick as staging areas and links to Hawaii. Which I imagine is now seen more as an "unsinkable" aircraft carrier and bulwark against China. I also think most of the famous islands are going to be the sites of massacres from everyone having the same clever idea on where to go.

Also I'll toss this map out:
http://choices.climatecentral.org/#15/38.5816/-121.4944?compare=scenarios&carbon-end-yr=2100&scenario-a=unchecked&scenario-b=extreme-cuts
I'm having trouble using it but I'm in China and internets are hard here. But I like it because I am a little sad I can't set a game in the flooded ruins of New York. I think I really want a town reclaimed by the ocean for a setting.

More thoughts looking at the At-A-Glance section. A lot of them come out pretty severe, anything that starts you with a crack kind of makes dependents, not useless, but not helpful against the other two cracks. Same with some of the others, I can't tell if they're supposed to even out or not. Scavenger can use their extra bounty to raise ADP and "buy off" their problem, hustlers can skip checks but likely wind up owing 5ish bounty a game, if the game goes say 10 sessions that turns into most of a retirement plan. On the other side, the Migrants are paying between 1-5 extra bounty a game for a 20 bounty savings, so a low CHA migrant can come out ahead and a high CHA comes out behind, where the Lost are paying 20 bounty for 2 skill points. (Milestones are 20 bounty right?)

On the other hand, I'm glad IP's thing where he knows people but they don't like him is gone. It seemed too easy to all but buy will for 1 bounty extra when he tapped a reference.

I think I'd like to see the design notes on this section to get a better idea of how they're supposed to be presented. Right now I'm thinking more of pick your poison.

Set it in the Gold Coastal Australia. It's going to go under
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Teapot

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 10, 2016, 10:47:42 AM »

I think the world has Australia being kind of zombie free and shooting at the Chinese fleet.

Gorkamorka

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 10, 2016, 12:15:08 PM »

I think the world has Australia being kind of zombie free and shooting at the Chinese fleet.

Correct.  But you can make up your own if you want to.
A few of us on the Red Markets Facebook page made up the following. 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1713530785583721/permalink/1719514141652052/?comment_id=1719515824985217

Since you said you are behind the Great Firewall of China I will copy the gist of it and paste it here.

- I was thinking the Brisbane Line for Australia.

- Same here. North of the Brisbane river is safe, south is not. And perth is REALY hoping that the beefed up rapit proof fence will hold, because eventually some casualties are going to cross the desert.

- Hmm interesting, after a chat I was lucky enough to have with Caleb I was figuring the Australian version of the evacuation was to pull back into the centre.

Which makes sense politically ("oh well we have to protect the capital") and the coast is where our population zones(& infection zones) are all at.

But the Brisbane think makes sense.

The rabbit proof fence idea is good. I can't really imagine hordes of C's crossing the red centre, but it makes good propaganda!

- i mean, the centre has so few resources, trade would just shut down and good luck farming. At least QLD has some farmland and trade ports.

- Yeah I said centre, I guess I just meant away from the coast. But if you were going to clear out a city, Brisbane makes sense.

- We are also all forgetting Tasmania. Tasmania is by far the most defendable place. A nice mixture of waterways, mountains and food producing regions surrounded by water.

So here is my headcanon for RedMarket Australia. There are three separate Recession areas. Perth, North of Brisbane and Tasmania. The leaders in each of them all of them consider them self the one true leaders of Australia and none of them officially acknowledge the other two. All of them send hire out takers to go into the lost and do things. Sometimes for the community, sometimes in competition with another Recession area and sometimes to sabotage the other Recession areas. You are the Takers/Mercs caught in the middle of all this.

- Oh I like the idea of Australia fracturing into 3 competing states.

- Aussie slang for casualties could be toads or rabbits. I mean, their just another invasive species right
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Alethea

• View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #145 on: July 11, 2016, 05:57:10 PM »
I posted this over on the Facebook group, but I should post here too:

Reading reputation rules, I want to create a variant where Rep spots decay after a while. People have short memories after all. I'm thinking each spot, + or -, would have a set number of uses, sessions, or contracts they'd be valid for. I'm thinking maybe a Sensitivity check for the Takers to know how many they get, otherwise the Market rolls in secret. Imagine the negotiator's consternation trying to use a spot and it not working because they didn't know no one cared about it any more. Downside I see is creating more bookkeeping for the Market.
All the social media:
Website | Tumblr | Twitter | GoodReads

RadioactiveBeer

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 11, 2016, 09:46:00 PM »
Also from the Facebook group, an elaboration/write-up of an idea I'd had for a job and setting element.

"When Ubiq launches their first generation AR specs, the products shipped with the uBeasts game pre-installed as a 'proof of concept' that the Specs could be used as a gaming platform. Successive generations of Spec came with the next iteration of uBeasts and Ubiq Aloft's premiere brought uBeast World, a worldwide MMO version of the popular monster-collecting game.

When the Crash came, the world ended. People moved, infrastructure collapsed, the States were divided. But people still use Ubiq Specs and Ubiq Aloft servers still operate. Which means uBeast World still exists. As things calm down in the Recession, a bizarre sub-market has evolved among what's left in the uBeast fanbase, an extension of the so-called 'gold farming' industry that existed in other MMO's. Some people call it 'blight farming'.

'Blight farming' became necessary when a feature of uBeast World's creature spawning became especially inconvenient with the new realities of the zombie apocalypse. Certain special monsters could only be found at specific times, within specific regions, to encourage exploration and attendance at certain events. Ubiq City being in Colorado meant many of these mythic beasts would only ever spawn in Colorado, for example, to encourage people to visit. Colorado being in the Loss, Recession-based uBeast fans mostly gave up on ever getting their hands on these lost uBeasts. But many are willing to pay for the rare, the lost, or just for having their collection filled out. (Look, nerds pay a lot for weird stuff. Is this really surprising to anyone at this point?)

And so people began using Lifelines to arrange jobs with Takers to go 'blight farming', seeking out uBeasts that now could only be found in the Loss. They ship out cheap Ubiq specs with game installed, the Taker goes to the site the uBeasts spawn and try to remain uneaten until they can catch the Beast. The Taker then sends back the Specs with the captured uBeast on back to the client, who trades it with their main account. Some gamers might even ship out their primary gaming specs, if they can bear to be away from their main digital device for that long. From the Taker's perspective, blight farming is paying work but it's humiliating. No-one likes being the guy indulging the manchild (at least crypto can't get cheeto dust on it). The idea that your food or your child's medicine is dependant on this frippery, that you might get killed or become a monster in the name of an imaginary electric hamster, is incredibly demeaning to a lot of Takers. Blight farming jobs are usually considered 'bottom of the barrel' - taking one might even be a Humanity test as the Taker realises just how long they've sunk."

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 12, 2016, 06:46:50 PM »
Might just be my own silly interest in the concept and idea of taking ARGs into such a direction or seeing how far this thing advances, but I really like this idea. I think I might have to borrow or pull inspiration for a leg, job or even the basis of a game. I also love the "keeping it current" social commentary of this.
Liquid Water?

Adam_Autist

• View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #148 on: July 12, 2016, 07:25:47 PM »
Also people have been laundering money through online games for a while so there's probably an angle there too.

RadioactiveBeer

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 12, 2016, 09:21:39 PM »
I think I might have to borrow or pull inspiration for a leg, job or even the basis of a game.

Feel free. Some ideas I've had for Leg-sized "bites", rather than a full job include:

1) A variant on the Bitten Taker random encounter from the table. The Takers get a broad-spectrum signal, a live-feed from a Taker. "No, damn it, no! I just got Gorriliath! I got it! I'm out of bullets but now I'm bit!" Put her out of her misery, maybe a check to understand the reference to uBeasts and that her Specs probably contain data worth selling.

2) A "Trainer Battle" - two Blight-farmers are vying for the same spawn point and it's become a stand-off; both are armed and taking cover behind cars in the street. They might try to haggle the Takers to kill the other trainer, or in their paranoia believe the party are the other Blightfarmer's "back up" and open fire.

3) A "critical success" - the Takers are heading through the ruins of a Ubiq store when one of their Specs flares to life and fills their feed with colour and sparkles as the mythical uBeast Sahalit, Mother of Storms appears before them. The Taker in question has just Willy Wonka'd their way into a random encounter with the store's local sustainable server which has netted them an extremely rare, possibly unique, uBeast. Their Specs can now be sold at a major mark-up from what they were previously worth just by having this data on them. (Think people selling iPhones with Flappy Bird installed, or games consoles with the P.T. demo on when that software stopped being available)

4) A "critical failure" - the same situation as above, the Ubiq store. Unbeknown to our heroes, an Aberrant has taken up root in the basement, its tendrils winding into the store's systems, which has tainted the connection which would have previously netted them the mythic uBeast. Instead they receive a jumbled mess of pixels and audio glitches whose name appears to be [A1A~pokm2]. Treat [A1A~pokm2] as an app for the purpose of Specs, taking up a Charge of memory permanently. It cannot be deleted and each session will grow to take up another Charge of memory in the Specs. Eventually it will "eat" the other apps installed on the Specs. In addition, the Taker wearing the Specs can no longer entirely trust their visual perception while wearing the Specs; the Market can, once a session, lie to the Taker in question about what they see. Has the Blight gone digital? Is [A1A~pokm2] a data-based Aberrant or just a really nasty bit of corrupt code? (Tl;dr you found MissingNo instead of Mew, and now he's eating your save-game files) 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 09:24:51 PM by RadioactiveBeer »