Author Topic: Battle Century G: Blood Red Moon, a mech rpg actual play.  (Read 13215 times)

elric225

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Battle Century G: Blood Red Moon, a mech rpg actual play.
« on: May 04, 2016, 07:33:22 AM »
Heavily inspired by UC timeline gundam, I started running a mech game set on earth in the midst of a workers rebellion blown out of proportion.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiPYKrTYAxqnsSCeD2cSPxT6MP_ED-WxJ
I'm also hoping that posting these actual plays could garner interest in the system, as the guy who made it is currently working on a new edition of the rules, Battle Century Z.

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Century G: Blood Red Moon, a mech rpg actual play.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 08:17:26 AM »
So why do you run an audio podcast on youtube?  I have seen a few people do that, and I can't see the practical reasons behind it.
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

trinite

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 12:05:21 AM »
So why do you run an audio podcast on youtube?  I have seen a few people do that, and I can't see the practical reasons behind it.

I don't want to speak for somebody else, but if you're playing over Google Hangouts, you can record to YouTube automatically. It's ridiculously easy. For Technical Difficulties, we take the extra steps of ripping the audio, editing, and putting it on our website and RSS feed. But there's nothing wrong with just using YouTube links like this.
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

constructacon

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 12:17:47 AM »

I don't want to speak for somebody else, but if you're playing over Google Hangouts, you can record to YouTube automatically. It's ridiculously easy. For Technical Difficulties, we take the extra steps of ripping the audio, editing, and putting it on our website and RSS feed. But there's nothing wrong with just using YouTube links like this.

whats ypur you tube channel so that i can support you by subcribing

Gorkamorka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 02:11:16 AM »

I get the simplicity of the thing.  But if I am not able to download the audio and take it with me were I want then I won't be able to listen to a podcast.  I can't take youtube with me on the commute, or while doing the laundry or any activity that isn't directly accessible on a stationary computer.  It's just like being tied to a television.   I wouldn't listen to Technical Difficulties if it wasn't in a portable format.  But I do, because you guys are available that way and you are fun. 
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

elric225

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 09:52:59 AM »
Honestly, the reason I use youtube is because I refuse to actually spend any money on doing this.

As for the portability thing, I do understand where you're coming from...but I had kind of assumed people know how to download youtube videos as mp3s? Would it make things better for the audience if I had a mediafire folder of the audio recordings or something?

wilzuma

• Gamer, Artist, Educator and Podcaster
    • View Profile
    • Letters from Elder Hollow
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 02:00:45 PM »
Honestly, the reason I use youtube is because I refuse to actually spend any money on doing this.

As for the portability thing, I do understand where you're coming from...but I had kind of assumed people know how to download youtube videos as mp3s? Would it make things better for the audience if I had a mediafire folder of the audio recordings or something?

You'd be surprised how many people A) don't know how to do that, and B) don't understand how to even how to navigate a basic podcast app. Our producer has gotten complaints from listeners that they are "confused" by the story when we switch between which game we play each week. Granted this is all people who have NEVER listened to a podcast in their life until now. It's so profoundly weird.

So... If you goal is to reach an audience, you need to make it available for podcatching software and actually put some money into it. If you are doing it for fun, I'd just go with what you're doing now.
Campfire Stories from Elder Hollow
http://www.lithmage.com/elder-hollow/episodes

Gorkamorka

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 04:48:44 PM »

I agree with Wilzuma, but I think it goes further then that.  I can do all that, I just can't be bothered to do it.  There is other material out there for me that is prepacked and I have more options then I can fill my day with.  And I don't think I'm the exception. 

If you want listeners outside the group of people that can listen to youtube at work or at home then you need to make the podcast easily available though the classic mediums.
If you are just doing it for fun and youtube is just the gravy, then it's not a problem.  Just keep enjoying it.

Cheers mate.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 04:50:28 PM by Gorkamorka »
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Adam_Autist

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • Niche Comics
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 05:06:36 PM »
There is a certain level of enjoyment that comes from all that content coming to me.

Everyone else has covered what I was going to say.

elric225

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 09:01:00 AM »

I agree with Wilzuma, but I think it goes further then that.  I can do all that, I just can't be bothered to do it.  There is other material out there for me that is prepacked and I have more options then I can fill my day with.  And I don't think I'm the exception. 

If you want listeners outside the group of people that can listen to youtube at work or at home then you need to make the podcast easily available though the classic mediums.
If you are just doing it for fun and youtube is just the gravy, then it's not a problem.  Just keep enjoying it.

Cheers mate.

I am definitely enjoying this. It's fun to fiddle with audacity and be able to double check facts or re-listen to shitty little jokes.