Author Topic: Fantasy Burnout.  (Read 14436 times)

Phineas_Rage

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Fantasy Burnout.
« on: June 07, 2009, 02:56:21 PM »
Hey Team,

So, my group has recently come to the decision that we've burned out on fantasy. Which isn't to say that I haven't enjoyed my time of meeting people in taverns and then fetching things for them, but I'd like to switch it up a bit. Spice up my roleplaying life.

Anyway, my question is: can anyone recommend any good RPGs with novel settings? Maybe even a system dedicate to dramatically novel goals. Or better yet if you've played something recently that made you "re-fall in love" with RPGs. I only request that there's no dwarves and elves, please.

Thanks!

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Fantasy Burnout.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 03:03:54 PM »
Call of Cthulhu
Delta Green
Monsters and Other Childish Things
All Flesh Must Be Eaten
GURPS 4E - run a historical/realistic game with it

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 03:22:19 PM »
There are metric tons of non-fantasy games, but I can give no higher praise than Call of Cthulhu.

Please please please check out this game. If a horror game is something you and your players are open to explore, then this may be your bag.
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 03:33:22 PM »
The default mortals setting for New World of Darkness.

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 03:45:56 PM »
When I read the title of this thread, I thought you meant an RPG version of the game Burnout. That could actually be kinda cool and non-fantasy, so there's an answer.

Phelanar

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Stop nuzzling the instrument of my vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 05:33:55 PM »
A Cthulhu Mythos game (depending on which flavor, setting, and mechanics you'd like. Call of Cthulhu, Trail of Cthulhu, Cthulhutech).
Unknown Armies (especially at the lower tiers of play)
Mutants & Masterminds
Fading Suns (just don't blame me for the clunky mechanics)
Deadlands
In Nomine
Paranoia (may not exactly be suitable for a campaign, natch)
A great ninja move is like great jazz. Nobody is aware of it and anyone who saw it live is now dead.

arthwollipot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 05:19:53 AM »
A good space opera is just a fantasy in another setting. Find a good one and all of your old fantasy tropes will still be valid - so it will at least be familiar to your players.
This cloaking device is heavily destroyed.

Phineas_Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 11:25:28 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, team.

And you're right, an RPG version of Burnout would be pretty sweet. Although I don't think I know enough words to describe car crashes over and over again in an interesting way. Sounds like a homework assignment to me.

I think I tricked my group into doing Call/Trail of Cthulhu. Any suggestions for adventures? That aren't, like, Haunted House? And are, like, pulpy?

Maze

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 01:59:00 PM »
And you're right, an RPG version of Burnout would be pretty sweet. Although I don't think I know enough words to describe car crashes over and over again in an interesting way. Sounds like a homework assignment to me.

The thing about the world of Burnout is there are no drivers. If we change that, we turn the game into a meat grinder where the players have to crash or be crash (and die.) If you need to make it more extreme, you take a big box and whack them in the face with it repeatedly as they're forced to tear their character sheet while screaming "CRRASSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!" at the top of your lungs. If you use your turbo for more than 3 rounds of racing without letting it go, you them scream "BURNNNNOOUUUUTTTT!!" in a high pitch to let them know they have 3 more rounds of turbo juice.

Oh, and have the song "Paradise City" playing over and over until the players finish their character sheet.

Phineas_Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 03:35:04 PM »
... and I'll talk like that fantastic DJ they had in the game. Non-stop.

Although, this talk about Fantasy Burnout makes me think there should be a Fantasy Death Race 2000. I would like to see mechanics set up regarding regaining your abilities and scoring points by running over the elderly. Additionally, it's still an even match between Jason Statham in the Death Race rematch and Sylvester Stallone as Machine Gun Joe in Death Race 2000.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 04:21:25 PM »
Look up Car Wars - that might work for Burnout.

As for CoC scenarios, there are a bunch of great ones here http://web.me.com/drgonzo/Site/Download.html

I recommend all of the modern ones and MYSTERIA MATRIS OBLITAE: Mexico 1929. An unknown specimen from the jungles draws investigators to an isolated town on the edge of nothing. There they find a darkness that pre-dates humanity.

Maze

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 04:23:11 PM »
For no reason other than he's awesome, as co-host to the DJ who's name I forgot in Burnout Paradise, I elect Threedogs (because four is too much, and two not enough.) Fighting the good fight, y'know.

Man, I loved that guy.

klaatu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 06:44:23 PM »
I'd second In Nomine, and add GURPS Black Ops.

Consider http://nemesis-system.com both for the system and for adventure/campaign ideas, especially if you're doing Delta Green.

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 09:04:31 PM »
I'd try some dominatrix stuff at first, but be sure to obey the safety word of you will piss her off that is for sure.

Wait . . .

I thought you meant that you were burnt out on sexual fantasies . . . sorry . . .

Honestly, Monsters and Other Childish Things is the best game ever. Play it and love it.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Phineas_Rage

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 12:29:29 PM »
Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes.

As for being burn out on sexual fantasies, I don't know, maybe they should just make a Freud RPG. Where, for once in your life, you're rewarded with experience for banging your mother.