Author Topic: Red Markets Online Gaming Group  (Read 52556 times)

SJLee

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Red Markets Online Gaming Group
« on: September 16, 2016, 02:22:53 PM »
Hello RPPR Community!

Having listened to the Brutalists, 12/13 of Fallen Flag and played a one-shot of Red Markets I really want to find a group to play with. I don't have a role-playing group in real life so I was hoping to find some people online to play. I made a thread on Reddit, but it was none too successful. People would express interest and disappear. I'd be happy to join an existing group if you have one. I believe I have at least one other player who wants in too.

If you're interested in playing or GMing please reply!  ;D

trinite

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
Re: Red Markets Online Gaming Group
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 08:58:56 PM »
I wish I had time, I'd love to!
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 06:11:21 AM »
Here is my two cents worth on finding groups to play with. 

"Everyone wants to play but no one want to run the game.  Game Masters always find players"

So if you really want to start a group, offer to run the game.  At least to run the first game.  It's far more likely to work.

Also.  Timezones.  Tell people when you want to play and in what time zone that is in.  So that people know if they can play with you.
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

SJLee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 11:57:31 AM »

"Everyone wants to play but no one want to run the game.  Game Masters always find players"

So if you really want to start a group, offer to run the game.  At least to run the first game.  It's far more likely to work.

Also.  Timezones.  Tell people when you want to play and in what time zone that is in.  So that people know if they can play with you.

Thanks for the advice, I am considering going the GM/Market route. However, I've never GM'd before so it is intimidating. Ultimately that might be the path I choose.

I am in the Eastern time zone. Late weekday evenings or weekends would probably be best for me.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 12:06:24 PM by SJLee »

trinite

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 08:32:03 PM »

Thanks for the advice, I am considering going the GM/Market route. However, I've never GM'd before so it is intimidating. Ultimately that might be the path I choose.

I am in the Eastern time zone. Late weekday evenings or weekends would probably be best for me.

Even though I can't play, I would advise you that Red Markets is a pretty easy game to run as a first-time GM. The formula of a typical session -- vignettes, negotiation, legs, job site -- helps you structure a game very easily. And since the mechanics are mostly player-facing, you can let the dice do a lot of your creative work for you. Greg, our GM for our Reformers campaign at Technical Difficulties, was a first-time GM and he did great.
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

Alethea

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 08:56:53 PM »

Even though I can't play, I would advise you that Red Markets is a pretty easy game to run as a first-time GM. The formula of a typical session -- vignettes, negotiation, legs, job site -- helps you structure a game very easily. And since the mechanics are mostly player-facing, you can let the dice do a lot of your creative work for you. Greg, our GM for our Reformers campaign at Technical Difficulties, was a first-time GM and he did great.

I too am a fairly new GM and found I could learn the game well enough to run my first convention game with a scenario I wrote. Remember to call for Self-Control checks often. You'll do great.
All the social media:
Website | Tumblr | Twitter | GoodReads

SJLee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 08:21:16 AM »

I too am a fairly new GM and found I could learn the game well enough to run my first convention game with a scenario I wrote. Remember to call for Self-Control checks often. You'll do great.

Thanks for the votes of confidence. :) I think the trickiest parts at the moment for me is wrapping my head around the negotiation process. I was re-reading yesterday and may finally get it. The other aspect is creating jobs/job lines the players would enjoy.

Alethea

• View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 07:39:37 PM »
Thanks for the votes of confidence. :) I think the trickiest parts at the moment for me is wrapping my head around the negotiation process. I was re-reading yesterday and may finally get it. The other aspect is creating jobs/job lines the players would enjoy.

Negotiations are tricky — I'd recommend listening to Brutalist or Fallen Flag negotiations (or The Reformers...) to hear them in action. For jobs/job lines, there's been a bunch of ideas kicked around on the Facebook group if you want some inspiration.
All the social media:

ScottH

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 09:05:42 PM »
I would definitely be interested in a Red Markets game!

RadioactiveBeer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 10:29:10 PM »
Seconding the points about listening to the AP's - it's a good way to internalise how the game should "flow" and "feel", as wanky as those terms are. Brutalists uses an older rules iteration, but the negotiation mechanics it uses are basically identical.

As for job lines, I think the GM section does a fairly good job of breaking down all the important bits and rolling up a basic framework is easy. When I was running an IRL demo game it was an hour's work on a laptop in a Starbucks to churn out the basics of three jobs (services, prices, competition, legs and complications) with fleshing out taking a little longer but being a pretty painless process. The main issue is probably just navigating the very early document. Also, listening to the (many, many) podcasts will help you get an idea of what sort of thing a job could be and, again, how you can structure things etc.

(I'm actually working on a bundle of 'demo jobs' right now, which Aletha has been giving me some great help on, for exactly this purpose. If you'd like I could PM you a Google Doc link.)

SJLee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 02:31:38 PM »
I've listened to the APs (Fallen Flag is sooo good). I think the biggest trouble I've had with negotiations was the Sway Tracker, namely, I suspect, because it wasn't included in the preview. I'm fairly confident that if I make one myself and play out a scenario (or listen to an AP group do it) I'll figure it out.

Seconding the points about listening to the AP's - it's a good way to internalise how the game should "flow" and "feel", as wanky as those terms are. Brutalists uses an older rules iteration, but the negotiation mechanics it uses are basically identical.

As for job lines, I think the GM section does a fairly good job of breaking down all the important bits and rolling up a basic framework is easy. When I was running an IRL demo game it was an hour's work on a laptop in a Starbucks to churn out the basics of three jobs (services, prices, competition, legs and complications) with fleshing out taking a little longer but being a pretty painless process. The main issue is probably just navigating the very early document. Also, listening to the (many, many) podcasts will help you get an idea of what sort of thing a job could be and, again, how you can structure things etc.

(I'm actually working on a bundle of 'demo jobs' right now, which Aletha has been giving me some great help on, for exactly this purpose. If you'd like I could PM you a Google Doc link.)

I'd be happy to take a look at the demo jobs, thank you very much for the advice. :)

Alethea

• View Profile
    • LauraBWrites
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 06:43:59 PM »
I think the biggest trouble I've had with negotiations was the Sway Tracker, namely, I suspect, because it wasn't included in the preview.

There's a Sway Tracker included in the backer preview. It's a separate file than Preview document though.

I am also part of a small group working on building a packet for running games at a convention or as a demo game. Ours is more location specific than RadioactiveBeer's jobs though since we include a pregenerated enclave. I could add you to our mailing list of folks to be notified when it's ready, if you like.
All the social media:

Hunter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 11:33:36 AM »
After multiple enclave generations and subsequent group dissolutions, I'm pretty sick of teaching newbs the setting and system irl. I'd be willing to play online, weekday evenings, excluding Friday-Sunday. No more than once per week.

I would normally offer to GM, but another busted group might kill my enjoyment altogether. I'd rather be a player for once.

So, SJLee, looks like you have a player for your game. Ball is in your court.

Bystander

• If the day comes, I hope I will act.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 01:19:47 AM »
Hmm, while I do have a regular group I GM for, they aren't so interested in Red Markets. Or well, zombies actually, so I don't press the issue. So I resorted to playing pickup games on Discord.

Like, I skip the enclave generation, make the characters for the players, and just play. I wound up with a couple good games, typically in the Boom style. A little more humor, but still a bit uncomfortable and horror filled.

If I were more established, or this was an IM client, I would probably have offered to one a pickup game on short notice or right now. But since its a forum, probably not...really it's all about player availability and all that.
"To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”
-Aristotle

SJLee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2016, 06:37:46 PM »
After multiple enclave generations and subsequent group dissolutions, I'm pretty sick of teaching newbs the setting and system irl. I'd be willing to play online, weekday evenings, excluding Friday-Sunday. No more than once per week.

I would normally offer to GM, but another busted group might kill my enjoyment altogether. I'd rather be a player for once.

So, SJLee, looks like you have a player for your game. Ball is in your court.

I will PM you directly.