Author Topic: Help starting an Eberron campaign in 4e?  (Read 5950 times)

FuzzyDan

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Official Keeper of The Line.
    • View Profile
Help starting an Eberron campaign in 4e?
« on: June 21, 2009, 04:38:44 PM »
While arriving late for Free RPG Day, I demonstrated a total lack of willpower and picked up the Eberron Player's Guide.  Thumbing through it, I realized that if I didn't start a campaign, someone else would.  So my Tuesday game that just has not gained much traction in the story is going to be more or less restarted into Eberron.

Basic Premise:  A Clandestine Organization is swiping materials, notes, etc. of various experimental/theoretical works of the Dragonmarked houses (particularly House Cannith) and using them to muck around for a currently unknown purpose.  However, ever since these materials have leaked, events have been occurring straight out of the Draconic Prophecy that suggest they are building up to an event on par with the Day of Mourning.  A few members of various interested organizations (Dragonmarked House leaderships, Royalty, scholars, etc.) are assembling a inter-agency/disciplinary task force to investigate the Organization, reclaim said missing research, and bring the bad guys to justice, and oh yeah, try to save the world.

What I'm shooting for in terms of feel is an investigative story that features some dungeony hack-and-slash to sate the D&D bloodlust.  I tried this my first time through 4th ed and the players didn't take well, then I shifted the focus to a Dungeon Crawl to acquire the Holy MacGuffins of finishing the Story Arcs.  This time through I'm thinking investigation, "random" encounters to impede the investigation, and liberal use of Dungeon Delve when the players need to retrieve a particular item from a dungeon.

Thoughts, Questions, Suggestions?
- Dan, Adding one to his Darkspiral Aura.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Help starting an Eberron campaign in 4e?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 07:08:01 PM »
Houses and Royals working together doesn't sound like Eberron at all.

I like the idea of building to a second Day of Mourning and if you put alot of thought into the items and materials involved with the construction of the spell and/or device to achive it you'd give your players lots of chances to piece together the plot.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 07:43:58 PM »
never read any of the eberron books but some ideas

Air ship to air ship combat - side by side sky pirate type battles

artifact that phases in and out reality at certain key points at certain times (briefly)- it can't be moved, but it is a machine with dials and levers - players have to get there to configure it correctly and make sure the bad guys don't.

So they go to dungeon A, get to the phase chamber, push a few buttons, then the artifact phases away. Go to dungeon B, get to phase chamber, find the bad guys there already, artifact phases in and the players have to push the right buttons while keeping bad guys from doing the same.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 08:59:44 PM »
never read any of the eberron books but some ideas

Air ship to air ship combat - side by side sky pirate type battles

You may not have read the source material, but you captured its spirit.

FuzzyDan

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Official Keeper of The Line.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 09:25:44 PM »
Houses and Royals working together doesn't sound like Eberron at all.

I like the idea of building to a second Day of Mourning and if you put alot of thought into the items and materials involved with the construction of the spell and/or device to achive it you'd give your players lots of chances to piece together the plot.

It's not necessarily an official alliance.  All sides' respective "intelligence" agents recognize that blame can't directly be traced to one another, so either everyone's innocent and something worse is on the horizon, or someone's double-dealing and will eventually over-extend themselves.
- Dan, Adding one to his Darkspiral Aura.