Author Topic: "Iconic" NPCs  (Read 7794 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
"Iconic" NPCs
« on: June 20, 2009, 01:03:22 PM »
A thread for personal examples of ironic NPC usage in established settings, as inspired by Episode 33.

Alternativly, this is where you can bitch about your GM throwing big name Mary Sues at you.

Phelanar

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Stop nuzzling the instrument of my vengeance
    • View Profile
Re: "Iconic" NPCs
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 05:41:35 PM »
If I bitched about Mary Sues (canon or otherwise) that my GMs have inflicted on me, I'd be writing a thesis-length statement. Why 2 of my 4 current GMs have this idiotic tendency to take characters that they used to play, turn them uber powerful and uber annoying, and inflict them upon us players as important NPCs is beyond me. I just wish they'd stop. Just two days ago, in my Shadowrun game, we ran into one of our GMs former PCs. What made this especially horrible? The GM essentially forced a PC to have sex with this NPC. Really. Really. Creepy. In addition to annoying.
A great ninja move is like great jazz. Nobody is aware of it and anyone who saw it live is now dead.

Murph

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 12:09:47 AM »
My favorite NPC would have to be 5.  5 was a goblin we captured in a 3.5 Eberron game.  In typical PCs fashion, we interrogated him, asking him about his home and how many other goblins there were.  However, it soon become apparent that 5 could only count to 5.  5 was the number of golblins in the heavily infested goblin ruin.  5 was the number of goblins that were currently terrorizing the valley.  5 was the number of miles it was away.  We took the little goblin under our wing, and he traveled with us for several months, until we had to let him go, hopefully to become a farmer in the goblin nation, growing 5 things at a time.

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 10:41:48 AM »
My 3rd to last GM had an 'Iconic' NPC, we too were playing 3.5 Eberron however- the Iconic NPC was Jack Ruby, slayer of Lee Harvey Oswald, AS AN ELDER BLACK DRAGON.
Don't ask me how this made any sense.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

doctorscraps

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 01:41:34 PM »
Oy~ I wish I could stop complaining about ym GM, but...

Planescape game- Almost entire starring cast from Planescape: Torment, lead by her custom-classed uber-level NPC...
Star Wars- The entire cast from the Kotor Games, with bad attitudes.
When the GM can't roll higher than a ten on the D20, he see's his plot points flash before his eyes.

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 11:26:51 PM »
one of mine and a friends first pc's we made in dnd 2e were a cleric of palor and a monk. we played around with them for a few years made new ones based on them in 3.0 and played them around. we only played them on and off for a few years. we ended up turning them into vampires and fought them in a diffrent campain so they would be some of my fave npc's. sadly the druid killed my cleric off in 2 hits by casting heal on him bring him down to 1 health and then the ranger shot him. but the monk tore us up by putting us in an anti magic field and killing us off with his nasty d20 unarmed damage.