Author Topic: Free Rpg Day:Give your opinions/review of the games you played  (Read 6656 times)

Murph

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Well down here in FL, I got to try two games yesterday, Geist, and Paranoia.

Geist was fairly middle of the road for me.  It runs on the WoD system (or NWoD or whatever it currently is).  You play people who have died, or almost died, but came back bonded with a ghost of some sort. Also special ghost powers.  The powers on the pregen characters ranged from amazing (a person who lights people/ghosts on fire with his mind, a person who can find anything in a football sized area) to the utterly Aquaman-esque (a dude who can dodge bullets slightly better if half submerged in water.)  The tone felt like Ghostbusters: So Full of Angst edition.

Maybe it was the pregen adventure, but I wouldn't call it particularly horrifying.  Theres no sanity mechanic, but I did have to make a morality role when I had to get a hooker for a ghost.  Yes. The pregen module has a situation where a ghost wants a hooker to possess, and then goes off an does hooker-esque things.  As we were had awesome ghost powers, our most pressing concern wasn't that ghost would try to hurt us, it was looking ridiculous in front of witnesses, as it looks like we were pretend fighting someone, as normal people can't see ghosts.  Theres was a cool idea of "reverse possessing" the ghost you bonded with, whose descriptions were cool and terrifying.  However, mechanically, this fell kind of flat.  Normal people saw us as normal, and the only real application was that now the stereotypical kung fu guy could punch a ghost.  Sadly his powerlevel remained below 9,000.

Paranoia was a different beast altogether.  Definitely a fun one shot, or "lets blow off some steam" game.  Me and my fellow troubleshooters had a rip roaring time tromping around Alpha complex, accusing others and other team members of being commie mutant traitors.  Evidence of commie mutant traitors was found, altered, and altered a good third time, and a total clone wipe was initiated when the Tech guy was convinced that the Security Officer was a traitor, as he missed shooting another commie mutant traitor and destroyed a vital console, so he pulled out some blasting explosives and made sure he got all of the commie mutant traitors.  Luckily the next batch of clones was able to fix the console and complete the mission.  

Definitely my favorite of the two.  Going to pick up the book when it comes out.

EDIT: Now with less bold!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 03:51:45 PM by Murph »

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
Re: Free Rpg Day:Give your opinions/review of the games you played
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 10:09:17 AM »

Too much going on here for me to participate, but I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of Paranoia.  If you don't TPK/shoot each other at least once, you're doing it wrong.
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 12:12:36 PM »
Well turns out my local shop wasn't part of the deal. Dang. Would've been nice to check out Geist, I've been waiting to give it a run through.

Phelanar

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Stop nuzzling the instrument of my vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 12:28:01 PM »
My FLGS disappointed me on this. They told me ages ago that they were participating, but when I called to see what time they were open (to go in and play) I was told that they didn't have any Free RPG Day stuff going on.
A great ninja move is like great jazz. Nobody is aware of it and anyone who saw it live is now dead.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 03:11:12 PM »
I came in late, so the shop owner let me grab a whole bunch of stuff. I'll prolly run the paranoia quickstart sometime soon. I haven't had a chance to review any of them though.

JonHook

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 08:10:13 AM »
Balls.

My shop also bowed out of Free RPG Day.
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

JonHook

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 03:02:58 PM »
Did anybody play the HEX adventure? I really want to buy that game!
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)