Author Topic: Tom's Call of Cthulhu WW2 actual play  (Read 36446 times)

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
Re: Tom's Call of Cthulhu WW2 actual play
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 06:47:02 PM »
What I loved about my game of Tom's CoC was that every joke I made, Ross gave me a look as if I had really crossed the line. He was really worried about the sensibilities of the listeners and every French joke I made was met with cringes.

the French Resistance was badass and you know who else makes fun of the French in general? That's right. Bill O'Reilly. You wanna be that guy?

You who else makes fun of the French?
The English

And who bombed the English?

Germans, that's who.

Thats right!
you wanna be German?

Richard

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 11:37:58 AM »
Wait

They CUT Cody out of the recording?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 12:29:55 PM »
Wait

no. Tom ran the same adventure twice - second time Cody was a player.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 07:53:55 PM »
Wait

You know who else has Cody as a second play? That's right: the Dutch.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 08:32:35 PM »
Wait

You know who else has Cody as a second play? That's right: the Dutch.

that doesn't even make sense and those are my shoes give them back you are a dog

they don't even fit

codered

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 11:38:28 PM »
I liked the how they had to stay in the cave with the monsters for a while that was an interesting way to go.
Kenders Rock

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 02:12:37 AM »
I liked the how they had to stay in the cave with the monsters for a while that was an interesting way to go.
Spoiler

I like that their demo guy ended the mission saner than when he started.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 04:10:45 PM »
here's a cheerful essay about the real story of World War 2

"The infantryman hates shells more than anything else," Bill Mauldin wrote about the front lines in Italy. His phrasing makes it sound like the men were expressing an aesthetic preference, like a choice among distasteful rations. But "shells" weren't a few rounds of artillery floating in at odd intervals. They were deafening, unrelenting, maddening, terrifying. One fortified American position in the Pacific recorded being hit in a single day by 16,000 shells. In the middle of an artillery barrage hardened veterans would hug each other and sob helplessly. Men caught in a direct hit were unraveled by the blast, blown apart into shards of flying skeleton that would maim or kill anyone nearby. Afterward the survivors would sometimes discover one of their buddies so badly mangled they couldn't understand how he could still be breathing; all they could do was give him the largest dose of morphine they dared and write an "M" for "morphine" on his forehead in his own blood, so that nobody else who found him would give him a second, fatal dose. (One soldier marked with that "M" was Bob Dole, wounded in Italy in 1945; he wasn't released from the hospital until 1948.) Commanders came to prefer leading green troops into combat, because the veterans were far more scared. They knew what was coming.

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 04:15:38 PM »
Jesus H. Christ
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 04:24:50 PM »

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 02:54:48 PM »
I'm not Bill O'Reilly, but I am 100% Red Blooded American. I'm a Patriot! In the immortal words of Charlie Kelly:

I'm gonna rise up, gonna kick a little ass. Gonna kick some ass in the USA. Gonna climb a mountain, gonna sew a flag, gonna fly on an eagle. I'm gonna kick some butt, gonna drive a big truck. I'm gonna rule this world. I'm gonna kick some ass. I'm gonna rise up, gonna kick a little ass. Rock, flag, and eagle!
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 12:22:35 PM »
I just got the chance, due to adjusted time off, to run a long game for once. In an effort to try something new I'm planning to try and run an approximation of Tom's game. I'm using the second game as the base since I like the way that one opens and I love the radiation thing.

Neberu

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 12:46:07 AM »
I just finished Tom first (non paid member released) game and i just have to say, wow. I've never been much of a CoC RPG fan cuz I never got the chance to play in one and I don't own any of the books. I know of the mythos and read those books and love the setting but I never really got into the game. But listening to the AP is enough to make me want to try it out. Or at least try running a survival horror game of Nazi soldiers during WWII.

You have to love the fact that CoC is the only game where FAILing a spot or listen check can be better for the players than making it.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009, 08:08:47 AM »
Ran the game tonight. Very different than I thought it would be. My players are new to the game and not great with the playing out their temporary insanity. Still worked out.

They never meet the doctor, never talked to the ghoul, and didn't do anything about the reactor. They did have to fight against a mutated PC, a mutated NPC, and a veriation on the mutated soldier from the mess hall. They also fought the colonel while riding a modified panzer (something I added via improv) and won the fight.

With three players, four out of nine characters survived the adventure.