Author Topic: My thoughts on the different gaming podcasts that I listen to.  (Read 28492 times)

Doctor X

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
(In no particular order)

Fear the Boot: Remember back in the 80s when FASA made Battletech?  Yeah.  Remember how NO OTHER GAME HAS BEEN MADE SINCE THEN???

Brilliant Gameologists: Ok, we've finished talking about all the conventions we've been to recently, now we'll mention min/maxing for a second before talking about all the conventions we're going to go to soon.  Also, they call it a stupid joke that was annoying before the episode was over and makes people stop listening for a reason.

Roleplaying Public Radio: Hey, I got a crazy idea: Why don't we use our gaming podcast to actually talk about gaming?

Kicked In The Dicebags: Did you know that on the internet, you can make sex jokes and say bad words?  Let's make a podcast about that!

Save Against Frostbite: (See Kicked In The Dicebags, but say "oot" and "aboot" a lot.)

The Podgecast: (Sound of Luke Crane's salad being tossed for 60 minutes.)

Bear Swarm: (See The Podgecast, except replace Luke Crane with Jim Butcher.)

dragonshaos

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Amateur DM
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: My thoughts on the different gaming podcasts that I listen to.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 05:32:08 AM »
Yaaa...pretty much.

Ive been listening to FtB for awhile.  It occurred to me awhile ago that they don't say anything useful or even helpful.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 10:27:16 AM »
You son of a bitch. How dare you!

But yeah, you're mostly spot on.

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 11:30:21 PM »
The only other podcast that I have listend to on a normal basis is return to northmoor, and from a DM prespective Its pretty nice, they cover what worked with there games what didnt what they would change now that they ran it and so forth, and ocationly do a random interview with somone, so I have enjoyed there podcast, but still feel theres nothing out there like RPPR and you guys are the best.

Phelanar

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Stop nuzzling the instrument of my vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 12:18:03 AM »
Only one of those besides RPPR that I've listened to is Fear the Boot. I've made my dislike of that show known here on these forums before. As far as gaming podcasts out there that are interesting, Yog Radio is enjoyable and different. Return to Northmoor is also one that I think is quite good. Strangely enough, the official D&D podcasts (not to mention the Penny Arcade/PvP D&D podcasts) are rather entertaining. I always enjoy what kinds of things the devs for a game were thinking about stuff.
A great ninja move is like great jazz. Nobody is aware of it and anyone who saw it live is now dead.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 12:57:24 AM »
interesting stuff. I seldom have time to listen to podcasts and I have a weird fear that if I listen to a gaming podcast, I'll start ripping them off so even when I do listen to podcasts, I avoid gaming ones.

Anything about Return to Northmoor or the PA/PVP actual plays that they do you would like us to do?

dragonshaos

• Amateur DM
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 02:18:05 AM »
The lowest score for RtN is 4 stars on itunes.  I think ill subscribe and give it a listen.

Doctor X

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 04:00:20 AM »
As far as gaming podcasts out there that are interesting, Yog Radio is enjoyable and different.

Yeah, after I wrote this, realized "Shit, I forgot Yog Radio!"  Then I realized I couldn't really come up with anything funny to say about them.  "Instead of talking about nothing for an hour a week, they do it for 3 hours every other month?"  "I've bought a lot of stuff because of them?"  I'd already done the "Wow!  A show that's actually about the subject matter" joke with RPPR.

On another note, been glad that everyone seems to have taken this in the roast spirit intended.  Dan from FtB thought it might be inflammatory, but then, that's kinda his job, isn't it?

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 04:33:32 AM »
interesting stuff. I seldom have time to listen to podcasts and I have a weird fear that if I listen to a gaming podcast, I'll start ripping them off so even when I do listen to podcasts, I avoid gaming ones.

Anything about Return to Northmoor or the PA/PVP actual plays that they do you would like us to do?

the penny arcade actual dnd games are simular to rppr with the diffrence of braking up 1, 4hr gaming session into 4 or 5 podcast, and the cut them in the middle of shit, i assume for cliff hanger appal.

return to northmoor is good from a dm's perspective, basicly tim and kim narrate what the planning it took to going into there up and coming game, go over the maps and what they plan on having the pc's do in the actual play session. that is followwed up with kim and tim then narrating the actual play sessions, so they do a lot of editing cutting there 4 hour session into a 2 hour summary or so.

ross, you and tom do a great job here, there isent anything i feel you could learn from them if you listened to there podcast. i love the full actual plays you guys have along with the updates of random gaming junk you guys do.

dragonshaos

• Amateur DM
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 05:02:41 AM »
I cant seem to get anything from RtN, via itunes or an rss feed of some sort.  nor can I access any downloads from their page.  Any ideas?

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 05:54:42 AM »
it looks like they put up a new site last night. it may be under construction still. ill test it out when i get home and leave a post on there forums or you can post on there forums too.

Phelanar

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Stop nuzzling the instrument of my vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 10:30:03 AM »

Return to Northmoor is as good as it is because it's got a very narrow and defined focus, so I don't think it's something you could really emulate without losing the strengths of what you guys do here at RPPR.

About the only thing that the PA-PvP D&D actual plays do that you guys don't that I feel would be an improvement would be (as has already been pointed out) to break things down into smaller chunks. I enjoy the APs here, but the length makes it difficult to get through sometimes. Broken into 45-60 min chunks would be much more manageable and user friendly.
A great ninja move is like great jazz. Nobody is aware of it and anyone who saw it live is now dead.

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 11:51:18 AM »

Have Wil Wheaton in one of your game.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 01:12:39 PM »

Have Wil Wheaton in one of your game.

I think we all would dream of having wil wheaton in one of our games.

And to be honest I hate the way they broke there podcast up, It wasent too bad because they uploaded the video 3 times a week, but it just seems they cut it in bad spots and i would rather be able to pause it when ever i wanted compared to have it cut in spots that I personaly feelt were bad spots to cut.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 04:06:33 PM »
As far as gaming podcasts out there that are interesting, Yog Radio is enjoyable and different.

Yeah, after I wrote this, realized "Shit, I forgot Yog Radio!"  Then I realized I couldn't really come up with anything funny to say about them.  "Instead of talking about nothing for an hour a week, they do it for 3 hours every other month?"  "I've bought a lot of stuff because of them?"  I'd already done the "Wow!  A show that's actually about the subject matter" joke with RPPR.

On another note, been glad that everyone seems to have taken this in the roast spirit intended.  Dan from FtB thought it might be inflammatory, but then, that's kinda his job, isn't it?

The FtB guys actually read this board? Huh. Hi guys!

Also, if I found a good mp3 splitter program, I could break the APs into smaller chunks but then there's the problem of delivering them. Even though I have plenty of games in the can, I don't upload them too quickly because I don't want our actual episodes to be drowned out in the sea of AP and releasing them in smaller chunks would exacerbate that problem.