Author Topic: Sci-Fi RPG  (Read 5013 times)

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Sci-Fi RPG
« on: September 18, 2009, 04:12:32 PM »
I'm thinking about starting a sci-fi rpg game, via pbp of course. I recently picked up an older game called Manhunter. It's a sci-fi game with the basic premise that you are a band of bounty hunters looking to collect bounties from across the galaxy.

I find that to be a bit of a narrow premise for the game, so I'm thinking of expanding it out to something more akin to Firefly/Serenity. You and your teammates are known as Contractors. You go through the galaxy picking up contracts, (ie: jobs), and fulfilling those contracts. Maybe it's manual labor, maybe it transportation of goods (legal or illegal), or maybe it's picking up a bounty.

I've got some ideas on how to combine low-tech and high-tech so that it hopefully will coexist happily.

I probably won't be ready to solicate for players until the new year, but would anyone be interested in playing just based on what you've read so far?
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Sci-Fi RPG
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 04:49:01 PM »
I like space cowboy styled stuff. It's fun to be apart of. I like some of the parts of the Firefly RPG but the dice is not to my liking.

I haven't seen a game system build to do this kind of game before. I think GURPS would be good for it, because GURPS is good for everything, but only if it where a live game where sheets could be handed around and things settled quickly without long delays.

Anyway, I'd be interested in learning more.

malyss

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Gimme some sugar baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 09:15:53 AM »
I would be interested.

As for the system, d20 modern/Star Wars Saga is pretty accomodating as well. You could always go freeform as well if you just want to tell the story.

Imagine an Aliens-like CoC game for a couple of episodes, but where the players have a better chance of surviving...

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 11:50:02 AM »
Cool. I also forgot to mention that I also want to use my Wayne Barlow Extraterrestrials book to create more alien races for PCs to play and encounter.

Like I said, it'll be the new year before I'm ready with this, so I'm trying to give myself plenty of time to learn this game system and create a descent adventure for the players.

I'll keep y'all posted.
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 12:07:10 PM »
Cool, crazy aliens. I like weird aliens.