Author Topic: Top 5 Sega Genesis Games  (Read 18538 times)

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
Top 5 Sega Genesis Games
« on: March 18, 2009, 12:08:12 PM »
If we're going to talk about Sega, then we need to talk about Sega.

5) Comix Zone - this game is so freaking hard it is ridiculous. One life and everything hurts you. Great times.

4) Light Crusader - a great dungeon crawler with some fun puzzles and combat. For some reason, this game just holds a very special place in my heart.

3) Toe-Jam and Earl - name one game that is similar to Toe-Jam and Earl? Name one! You can't because this game is so freaking amazing! Even the sequels were nothing like the original. Collect pieces of your sweet ship that features sub-woofers and other boombox techinical jargon, and head back the greatest name for a planet ever . . . Funkatron.

2) Phantasy Star IV - this game was $100 when it came out! Why? Well, it was a cartridge that somehow was able to incorporate anime cutscenes. The story was sweet, the graphics were revolutionary for the time, and it was an all-around great RPG.

1) Shadowrun - it was seedy, gritty, and all-around badass. It was Grand Theft Auto before GTA. Granted, there was no stealing cars, but you could go around and murder random people on the street. You performed jobs, hacked on the 'net (I still can't do any of those missions because they make no damn sense). All around, this was a great game.

Those are just my personal favorites. Feel free to fight and discuss.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Top 5 Sega Genesis Games
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 04:50:20 PM »
1. General Chaos. One of the few genesis games I will play to this day.

2. Shining Force 1. Awesome tactical RPG.

3. Shining Force 2: Awesomer tactical RPG.

4. Toejam and Earl

5. Splatterhouse maybe? I don't know. The TG-16 version was better though.

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 07:37:44 PM »
1. Street of Rage 2 - Has some of the best music on the genesis. It's fun to beat the shit out of people with a friend.

2. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Fuck you Tails.

3. General Chaos - great fun to be had scorching people.

4. Gunstar Heroes - Great coop fun, cool style, fun weapons.

5. Road Rash(s) - It aged terribly but it was SO much fun.

I got pretty far in Comix zone but dddaaaammmn. Seriously, it's so freaking impossibly difficult. Great game, the enemies took too many hits for my taste at the time though.

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 09:13:24 PM »
General Chaos is pretty great, but seriously, play Shadowrun!
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 09:16:02 PM »
I'm kinda confused between Shadowrun on the SNES and the one on the Genesis. Are you talking about the nearly free-roaming RPG where all I did is shoot people that would walk on the street and be stuck? I never got very far in that one.

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 09:44:03 PM »
The SNES one was pretty much a game that led you by the hand and if you fucked up on one tiny thing, you were screwed.

The Genesis one was nearly too open-ended, but nonetheless, it was really cool.

xHero

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Dorothy: "Fuck it, I'll stay here."
    • View Profile
    • Swing And A Miss Forums
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 03:31:46 AM »
1. Street of Rage 2 - Has some of the best music on the genesis. It's fun to beat the shit out of people with a friend.

3. General Chaos - great fun to be had scorching people.

4. Gunstar Heroes - Great coop fun, cool style, fun weapons.

Seriously Streets of Rage 2 Stage 3 Part 2: Alien Power is one of my favorite songs EVER!!!        um..... wow I'm lame
General Chaos is probably the only Sega game I rented even when I had the Sega Channel!!!!
and Gunstar Heroes is a game that I still play at least yearly to date.
I got such a purist hair up my ass last year that I bought Genesis after Genesis off eBay 'til I got a working system just so I could play (excluding the previously mentioned titles):
      1.Eternal Champions - another great Sega soundtrack, and phenomenal fighting game as long as you NEVER heard of the "Sega Activator"
      2.X-men / X-men 2: Clone Wars
      3.B.O.B. - Sidescrolling at it's best
      4.I know Ross mentioned Shining Force, but dammit, he's dead to me... so Shining Force 1 and 2
      5.Zero Wing (cliche and the godfather of memes, but you got to know your roots, for great justice!)

p.s. At first I was surprised to see almost all my favorite games mentioned in only 6 posts... then I remembered we were talking about the Genesis here. 
"Mmm...Franklin Salad: Tastes of 100 dollar bills, semen, and shame!" - APFMT gone terribly wrong... or right. Check out the Swing And A Miss Forums

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 05:47:15 AM »
i never owend a sega but rented one once and a while. also roms, shhhhh. anyays i thing mine are.

#1 earth worm jim

#2 sonic 2

#3 shadow run

#4 .... well theres my top 3, i wanted to play shining force never got around to it.

pwvogt

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
    • The Hopeless Gamer
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 06:49:11 PM »
I see this thread has already seen the love every law-abiding man should have for Steets of Rage.

I don't have a top 5 list, but Golden Axe would also be included if I did.
The Hopeless Gamer Blog! http://thehopelessgamer.blogspot.com/ - Come check it out!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Paul_Vogt

Staff Writer for Eye of the Vortex - gaming magazine at the center of all things nerdy/interesting! http://www.eyeofthevortexonline.com/

codered

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 08:01:23 PM »
double dragon and battle toads and sonic are the only sega games i played I was a nes guy
Kenders Rock

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 09:11:26 PM »
I was a sports game guy, so I think NBA Jam needs to be put on the list.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

codered

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 09:38:01 PM »
blades of steel and double dribble best sports game of all time
Kenders Rock

Tissue

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • I am a rock and roll star
    • View Profile
    • Sirkus
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 11:28:19 PM »
1: Shining Force,  great RPG

2: Toejam and Earl, They're just repairing their space ship and dudes with lawmowers are trying to fuck their shit up

3: Ecco the dolphin,  I'm surprised no one said this already,  the poor dude had to fight sharks and jellyfish and big boss killer whales.  Poor ecco

4: Street of Rage 2, side scrolling bashing fun.

5: Shadowrun,  it was 100x better then the stupid SNES version.  Great game all around.
www.myspace.com/sirkusrocks

This is my band,  check us out.

xHero

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Dorothy: "Fuck it, I'll stay here."
    • View Profile
    • Swing And A Miss Forums
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 11:41:59 PM »
Is there really no love for Eternal Champions, B.O.B., or Zero Wing? I'm wounded.
"Mmm...Franklin Salad: Tastes of 100 dollar bills, semen, and shame!" - APFMT gone terribly wrong... or right. Check out the Swing And A Miss Forums

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 02:28:17 PM »
1: Shining Force,  great RPG

2: Toejam and Earl, They're just repairing their space ship and dudes with lawmowers are trying to fuck their shit up

3: Ecco the dolphin,  I'm surprised no one said this already,  the poor dude had to fight sharks and jellyfish and big boss killer whales.  Poor ecco

4: Street of Rage 2, side scrolling bashing fun.

5: Shadowrun,  it was 100x better then the stupid SNES version.  Great game all around.

I like this list except for Ecco. That game always made me dizzy and sick for some reason. Also, I hate dolphins.