Author Topic: Call of Cthulhu Virginity  (Read 6588 times)

jak7890

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Call of Cthulhu Virginity
« on: August 04, 2009, 03:02:58 AM »
Well, my CoC virginity was taken tonight. It started out romantic enough- the GM had very gentle hands at the start- but by the end of it, I realized the GM was into the rough stuff, and apparently "More guns!" is not the safety word.

So, please feel free to share your stories of your first Cthulhu Calls and any advice you might have for a newb (you know, like the best way to recover health and sanity...). Thanks!

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
Re: Call of Cthulhu Virginity
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 10:42:23 AM »
I plan on running a game of CoC for the first time in the future one day after we finish my buddies DnD plans.

BTW good safety word is Chewbacca

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 10:47:27 AM »
Well, my CoC virginity was taken tonight. It started out romantic enough- the GM had very gentle hands at the start- but by the end of it, I realized the GM was into the rough stuff, and apparently "More guns!" is not the safety word.

This is a great Arkham Penthouse Forums letter!
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 11:03:25 AM »
My earliest CoC memory is a home-brew adventure my friend wrote and a bunch of us played for his 12th birthday. We all stayed up all night playing this game where it opened with the characters surviving the sinking of a passenger liner, then the survivors find an island with a house on it.

The house was abandoned, or so we thought. The house was sitting on top of an underground lair for a bunch of Serpent Men. They had these cool weapons made of bones, (of god knows from what animal). The weapon was in two parts. One part was a stick with a handle, and the other part looked like giant fangs with a hole in the center piece. The Serpent Men would have the weapon with the fangs on the stick, then they'd sling or snap the stick at us, thus shooting the giant fangs at us. And, of course, the fangs had poison in them. It was cool.

I can't remember what we found in their lair, but the game eventually turned into a massive run-for-your-life escape from the lair/house. My character ended up on the second floor of the house with two mobs of Serpent Men coming up at him from both directions. The only choice left open to me was a chandelier hanging over the large forey, and to try and swing across the chandelier through a window and thus get outside to join the other players who were already outside.

So, of course, Indiana Jones was HUGE then, so as I was singing the Indiana Jones theme I rolled first for the swing across the chandelier, (which was spectacular), and then a jump roll to safely smash through the window and land outside. My jump roll was a natural 100!!! A critical failure. I broke both my legs in the fall. The other players tried to drag my body to the beach so we could escape, but they eventually decided to save their own skins and left me to die at the hands of the Serpent Men.

Jackasses.    ;D
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

malyss

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Gimme some sugar baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 05:17:48 PM »

BTW good safety word is Chewbacca

Not when you are as hairy as a wookie... umm... I'm not referring to myself... I swear.

To quote a favourite comic, "Ha! Got you with the visual!"

pwvogt

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
    • The Hopeless Gamer
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 09:24:15 AM »
My first Cthulhu experience was actually last year's Gencon where my brother and I participated in "You too can Cthulhu" We'd played the Call of Cthulhu FFG CCG competitively for awhile and decided to give the rpg a chance.

It was fantastic. We had to survive a plane crash in the 1960's only to come across an abandoned town somewhere in the Rockies. The story was fine, abandoned towns are always creepy, but really it was the almost LARP atmosphere they created for us. I played an old vacuum salesmand with a bad cough and it was probably the most enjoyable character I've ever played. We actually started out sitting like we were in a plane with props and multimedia stuff too.

Probably one of the best RP experiences I ever had or will have. There's a reason the event always sells out superfast at Gencon.

Oh, also, I got to drive a firetruck into a giant other-worldly-light-emitting-glass lens to save the town, and possibly...the WORLD.
The Hopeless Gamer Blog! http://thehopelessgamer.blogspot.com/ - Come check it out!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Paul_Vogt

Staff Writer for Eye of the Vortex - gaming magazine at the center of all things nerdy/interesting! http://www.eyeofthevortexonline.com/