Author Topic: How goes Gen Con?  (Read 8649 times)

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
How goes Gen Con?
« on: August 14, 2009, 03:24:36 PM »
How goes Gen Con? Can someone please clue-in those of us who couldn't go?
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: How goes Gen Con?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 07:47:30 PM »
exhausting but fun

running a shitton of games - killed aaron twice in the same CoC game last night  8)

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 08:45:18 PM »
Quote from: clockworkjoe
killed aaron twice in the same CoC game last night  8)

COMBO MULTIPLIER X2
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 12:03:01 AM »
Fatality! Strike!!!!
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)

Phelanar

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Stop nuzzling the instrument of my vengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 10:09:17 AM »
I am living GenCon only by way of all the Twitter posts I'm reading about it. Next year, I may actually have to go for real.
A great ninja move is like great jazz. Nobody is aware of it and anyone who saw it live is now dead.

pwvogt

• View Profile
    • The Hopeless Gamer
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 04:28:49 PM »
Why are you people not following my blog?! It's a little light today as far as pictures go, but I have some good stuff from the past few days, check it out.

I will also second that it is exhausting, but excellent! I'll be playing in my second Dread (Jenga!) game tonight, and it shall be excellent!

Also if any of you Gencon-goers saw the two excellent death eaters walking around today, that's my brother and sister, who will also be writing up a bit about their experiences of Gencon (and look wicked mean with their masks and evil clothing).
The Hopeless Gamer Blog! http://thehopelessgamer.blogspot.com/ - Come check it out!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Paul_Vogt

Staff Writer for Eye of the Vortex - gaming magazine at the center of all things nerdy/interesting! http://www.eyeofthevortexonline.com/

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 10:58:25 PM »

Dude I AM following your blog.

(I have no idea what a "mud pie" is but I approve of the beverage category.)
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

pwvogt

• View Profile
    • The Hopeless Gamer
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 11:07:01 PM »
Excellent! A mud pie is made of mud. This is not based on a true story.

Instead, a mud pie is a towering ice cream... tower. It's covered in whip cream and should always be eaten by more than 2 people per tower. We did not follow this law and paid the price. A delicious, slightly painful price.

Anyway, thanks for following and I hope you continue to once our gencon coverage is over and hopefully continue to entertain you.
The Hopeless Gamer Blog! http://thehopelessgamer.blogspot.com/ - Come check it out!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Paul_Vogt

Staff Writer for Eye of the Vortex - gaming magazine at the center of all things nerdy/interesting! http://www.eyeofthevortexonline.com/

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 12:58:52 AM »
just got back

picked up a bunch of new games - eclipse phase (sci fi transhumanist horror FUCK YES gonna run that shit), shotgun diaries, zombie cinema, dragon magazine annual, secrets of mesoamerica plus damnation city and a review copy of Hobocon, a documentary with a novel angle - some guys attended gencon last year with no money or plan and tried to survive.

Ran 7 fucking games - 6 official events and one unofficial game of Call of Cthulhu - Greg Stolze played in it and I killed Aaron twice

Got at most 5 hours or less of sleep a night

Played in a 12 FUCKING HOUR TWO PART GAME of CoC run by Scott Glancy - WW1 German u-boat crew - I fired the deck cannon, mowed down ~20 deep ones with a maxim, played alongside Greg Stolze, Frank Fry, Shane Ivy, Tom, and an actual honest to god German (cant think of his name right now) - Tom incited some spanish police to mutiny - learned more about ww1 Mediterranean u-boat warfare than I ever had, and had a blast.

All but 1 of my official games sold out - 6 or 7 players - one game just had 2 players.

attended the Diana Jones awards

met a whole lot of cool people including some RPPR fans which was very cool. Meeting someone who would say "RPPR? I love your show!" is pretty damn cool.

was busy the whole goddamn time - it was a blur

recorded over 30 hours of actual play and Tom recorded 3 games - dunno how many hours it was

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 02:09:39 AM »
Holy shit man. 12 hours? That blows away my game length records, even in two parts.

bigznak

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 11:38:23 PM »
Ross,

Awesome game of monsters.  Had a blast and it helped me understand how to run the game a whole lot better.  Thanks, had a blast.  Looking forward to a published Sucrose park next year.