Author Topic: Good GM Habits  (Read 23507 times)

pwvogt

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
    • The Hopeless Gamer
Good GM Habits
« on: August 30, 2009, 03:31:41 PM »
What makes a good GM? Is it hours and hours of prep time or is it good improvisation skills? What do you think for you personally and what has made games you've been a part of particularly great or interesting due to the GM?

This thread obviously comes from inspiration from Ross' Bad GM Habits thread, but I thought we could instead think of what makes GM's do well instead of frustrate and infuriate their players.

I'll start!

The other inspiration for this thread comes from my GM'ing experience from this past Friday night as I hosted a game (our group's first game) of 3:16: Carnage Amongst the Stars. The game is great because a notebook page's worth of notes and about 10 minutes of my time and I had the entire scenario, or at least enough to get us going, all prepared.

I didn't really know how I was going to end the story other than "big alien swarm attacks them in the end, OH NO!" The players were to land on the planet, make their way to Bunker 6 to reinforce Lt. Carlson's force and help him take out the alien queen. Carlson had gone kind of crazy and not much of his force was left (he was in fact taking one of them out at a time for "scouting missions" and going crazy, coming back alone).

They went off to hunt the queen taking the survivors with them, but leaving Carlson behind to "protect the bunker." They get to a cave and see some of the dead troopers armor with little sticks set around them spelling out "Carlson" and their first thought was "Oh SHIT, Carlson's been infected by the queen and is the host body for her, we gotta go kill her!"

Well, no, not really, he was just a crazy ass military dude, but I went with it, molded the details to fit the story they had all come up with, and they all got a very satisfying final fight of taking out the remaining aliens on the planet on the way to take out that bastard Carlson the queen.

It was excellent, and I've never had so much fun improvising. Basically, this thread is about good GM habits, or I guess good times had as a GM also.  :P
The Hopeless Gamer Blog! http://thehopelessgamer.blogspot.com/ - Come check it out!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Paul_Vogt

Staff Writer for Eye of the Vortex - gaming magazine at the center of all things nerdy/interesting! http://www.eyeofthevortexonline.com/

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Good GM Habits
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 07:13:05 PM »
never be boring

no long periods of time where nothing happens

start shit all the time

get all ADD and throw random challenges at them because they're not entertaining you (that is their job)

if they pick a fight with a random NPC that NPC will be back to torment them

focus on their weak spots - if a PC is moral tempt them with an easy success but only if they do something violent or evil - if the PC is greedy bribe them to betray the group - if the PC is a lecherous bastard make the prostitute a drow agent - if the PC is a wall flower then random goons attack them

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 10:04:13 PM »
Pit players against one another when it organically works.

For instance, the other day, I was running a game at school. An NPC hires the group fighter to battle in a tournament. Everyone makes Streetwise checks to see if they hear about the tourney. One girls hears about it and tells the other party members. They decide to cheer him on, but the paladin of the group decides it would be unethical for him to go. I inform him that he would want to break it up, so he decides to round up a posse and break up the illegal tournament.

Just as the fighter is about to win, the paladin and his team burst in and start arresting everyone. Skill challenges for all players to see if they can escape the scene.

It was the best game I have ever run before and this was just the climax to everything. It was all because I helped to pit the characters against each other.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

xHero

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Dorothy: "Fuck it, I'll stay here."
    • View Profile
    • Swing And A Miss Forums
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 01:17:59 AM »
I unfortunately had no time to prepare for last weeks game so had to do all but one encounter "on the fly".
Funny thing was that they really didn't feel like pursuing the planned encounter so it was all "on the fly".
The things the PCs responded to the best:

1.Have NPC's frame the innocent and do your best to make the innocent look guilty: A workaday thief ran into a tavern and sat next to a couple of dock workers and talked to them, then sneaks out the back. The party split into two and I have to tell you the pulp fiction interrogation that ensued was the most fun I've had GMing.

2.One munchkin in my game was dying to bang a drunk chick, I had "Layonya" come back for more, each time having him roll a d100. Would you believe he was surprised to find out shes extremely pregnant now?

3.Present opportunities that pit player against player (not so much violently as situationally):
 The players were presented with a potent hallucinogen and seeds to grow more.
           Druid: Cultivating it in secret and doing everything to not allow it integrate into the city
           Dragon Shaman: Attempting to brew potions and poisons with it for party benefit and profit
           Hexblade: Essentially the teetotaler of the party
           Rogue: Believes offering it like candy negates poor diplomacy rolls

Just make sure you can read the players and determine when they're have a good time, also make sure you are having a good time. That's the most important part. (I swear I'm insightful and not belaboring the obvious)
"Mmm...Franklin Salad: Tastes of 100 dollar bills, semen, and shame!" - APFMT gone terribly wrong... or right. Check out the Swing And A Miss Forums

Richard

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
Erm.

I always ask the players to give themselves a round of applause after a campaign or a really good session.

Alchemist

• Sleeping on the job… is mah job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 10:35:52 AM »
  • make sure they arent distracted (only add important info though so not to annoy your players
  • good discriptions
  • plot twwist lots and lots of them
  • voices :D
  • pretty much never give you players the chance to know whats going t o happen next
  • keep it fair, don't extract revenge on the players (don't torment them if they owe you a couple of bucks or if they killed your payer in a different game) and don't accept bribes for special powers or items it can throw things out off loop
  • don't throw the taking away your powers card at them too much maybe at least once in a while

Kyyrn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 07:45:17 PM »

For instance, the other day, I was running a game at school. An NPC hires the group fighter to battle in a tournament. Everyone makes Streetwise checks to see if they hear about the tourney. One girls hears about it and tells the other party members. They decide to cheer him on, but the paladin of the group decides it would be unethical for him to go. I inform him that he would want to break it up, so he decides to round up a posse and break up the illegal tournament.

Just as the fighter is about to win, the paladin and his team burst in and start arresting everyone. Skill challenges for all players to see if they can escape the scene.

It was the best game I have ever run before and this was just the climax to everything. It was all because I helped to pit the characters against each other.
Last game I ran, two of the PC's were told by thier faction to kill an NPC, or risk offending thier patron diety, Two were told to bring him back alive (for a whopping sum of 500 gold), and the last was told to bring back the artifact he carried, whether he was alive or dead was a non issue... and to make the deal sweeter the last PC was going to die if he failed.  High stakes, high drama, good game.  I think they liked it...

Murph

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 11:09:39 PM »

Last game I ran, two of the PC's were told by thier faction to kill an NPC, or risk offending thier patron diety, Two were told to bring him back alive (for a whopping sum of 500 gold), and the last was told to bring back the artifact he carried, whether he was alive or dead was a non issue... and to make the deal sweeter the last PC was going to die if he failed.  High stakes, high drama, good game.  I think they liked it...

This sounds like a game of Paranoia, except one of the PCs has orders to bring in the NPC dead and alive due to a misprint, one is supposed to bring in the artifact alive, and the NPC is actually one of the PCs

Kyyrn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 11:53:02 PM »
Lol layers upon layers

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 01:26:10 AM »
Like an onion or a cake?

ugnis13

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 01:53:14 AM »
"like an onion donkey"

Chibi Jae

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 01:31:12 PM »
1.) Notebooks are your friend. Writing out and preparing all you can before the game really helps with the flow and progression of the sessions, as well as knowing the greater Giga-plot with all the clues, advice, tidbits, trivials and blatant bashings with the plot hammer. Knowing where you want the game to go before you start, helps greatly in getting you all there. Also, its a good place to have access to all your NPCs, notable locations and everything else you need to keep track of and remember. Leave some space as you go, and don't try to fill in every single detail. Things will come up that you need to remember and things won't always work out the way you intend, so always try to write those things in as they happen.

2.) Know your NPC's. Not every NPC needs a full character background, stats or even a name but they all do need some sort of motivation. That one little thing that can flesh out their reasoning. For many it is something simple, like a merchant is usually motivated by making money and a politician is motivated by power. For those NPS'c that are important, do flesh them out as much as possible and give them some semblance of life. The more important they are to the plot, the more information you should have on them. Any NPC that the players deem important should get fleshed out as well. Once they latch on to someone they like, or absolutely hate, they are going to keep going back to them so keep that NPC interesting.

3.) Props and maps. Anything they can hold in their hands, they will and will keep it there until you pry it from them. Every session have a couple handouts for them, either typed or handwritten that has to do with the session's plot. Lists, articles from a newspaper, notes hastily scratched and left in a book, all generally make good handouts which can either just be taken at face value, or can be riddled with clues and secrets for the players to discern. (Or they can just be at face value and the players will torment themselves trying to find the hidden meaning.) Maps can be as basic or as detailed as you want to make them, but either way both the GM and players will find them useful for a quick reference to where things are, how vast a distance a quest will take or getting a feel for their environment. Be ready to update it as things happen, (players burning down a shop, mudslide takes out a high traveled road or a bomb takes out thirty blocks of a large, industrial city) so the players see their effects on the environment and the GM remembers that the nice little old lady NPC's shop burned to the ground.

4.) Communicate early and often. Give the players as much information as possible before character creation begins. Tell them about where the majority of the game will take place, and any common knowledge that everyone would generally know. Let them know what the style and tone of the game is going to be and give them as much of a feel for it as possible so they can keep everything in mind while they make their characters. Try to have everyone build their characters together, and have them talk about them while that is going on. Let the players work out their own sense of balance and roles to fill, and give them that sense of teamwork before things start rolling. After sessions, ask them how they enjoyed it, what things they liked and what things they didn't and then plan future sessions accordingly. If something you love in the game is something that just doesn't work with the group, either try to modify it so it works or just let it die a gruesome death.

5.) Follow John Wick's advice, "There are no rules. Cheat anyways." Always remember that a game is supposed to be fun and that your players are the arbitrators of that fun. (If that were to be decided by the GM, they would be spending all their time playing with themself.) Fun doesn't mean easy, and no game should ever be too easy. There need to be challenges, puzzles or fights that take on epic proportions, but all of them should be within the player's grasp, even if it is a distant grasp. Keep things moving and interesting, and from time to time be willing to fudge your dice rolls. Nothing should ever really be impossible for the players to achieve, but they can be really difficult. Handle character deaths as a case by case situation, fudging their damage rolls to just knock they out when they are fighting a group of grunts or give them an epic and brutal sendoff that will effect the rest of the players for sessions to come. Either way, know your player and know your game. The GM sets the tone, and never forget after everything else it is your world. The players just happen to live there, so make sure its a world in which they enjoying living in.

(Thanks to Shallazar for bringing up a point of clarification, and no you aren't a donkey sombrero.)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 02:29:14 PM by Chibi Jae »

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 02:20:44 PM »
Chibi, I don't mean this as a flame and I apologize in advance.

But I'm pretty sure that without players, there is no game. its just fiction writing.
Gaming is an opportunity for unanticipated twists and turns, for the story to take on a life different because of the actions of the players. They don't just live in your world. they are the world.

Like in that RPPR episode, it's either Grand Theft Aparatus of Kwalish or So you want to Run a campaign, the only thing that matters is the bubble. How the bubble may drift to and fro, but it is within the bubble that matters. And the bubble is the PCs.

Every other point you make is helpful and pretty much true but seriously, you can't Game without players and if you piss them off by doing things your way all the time they will leave.
Another RPPR maxim "'no gaming' is better than 'Bad gaming'"
I'm sure you already know, and maybe I'm just reading too far into your last statement but w/e.

Alright enough of me sounding like an ass hat.
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.

Chibi Jae

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 02:26:02 PM »
@ Shallazar - Maybe the last statement was poorly worded, cause I didn't intend for it to come across as such.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 05:04:40 PM »
your game is bad and you should feel bad  8)

my rules

1. fuck da police
2. the roof, the roof, the roof is on fire
3. righty tighty lefty loosey
4. For all other problems:

First, be smart from the very beginning. Pulverize all teeth, burn off fingerprints, and disfigure the face. Forcing a DNA test to establish identity (if it ever comes to that) might introduce the legal/forensic hurdle that saves your ass down the line. An unidentifiable body can, in a pinch, be dressed in thrift store clothes and dropped in a bad part of town where the police are less likely to question it. I don't reommend that disposal method, I'm just saying an easily identifiable body is an even bigger threat than the opposite.

Assuming you have it inside a house where you can work on it a bit, the first thing you want to do is drain it of fluids. This will make it easier to cut up, and slow decomposition a little bit. The best way to do this quick and dirty is to perforate the body with a pointed knife, and then perform CPR on it. Cut the fronts of the thighs deep, diagonally, to slit the femoral arteries. Then pump the chest. The valves in the heart will still work when dead, and the springback of the ribcage can put apply a fair amount of suction to the artria. Do this in a tub. Plug the drain, and mingle lots of bleach with the bodily fluids before unplugging the drain to empty the tub. This should help control the stench of death, which would otherwise reek from your gutter gratings. Do everything you can to control odors. Plug in an ionizer, burn candles, leave bowls of baking soda everywhere. Ventilate the room in the middle of the night, but otherwise keep it closed. Keep the body under a plastic sheet while it's in the tub.

If you want to bury, I recommend seperating the body into several parts, and burying them seperately. For one thing, it's easier to dig a deep enough hole for a head than for an entire body. this reduces your chances of being discovered while you are actually outside and digging the grave.
That is the one thing you can't do inside the doors of your house, and represents a vulnerable moment you want to keep brief, under 2 hours. Do it between 3 and 5 am. It's also less likely for someone to call the police if their dog digs up some chunk of meat, than if they dig up an enitre body. They may assume it's an animal carcass disfigured by decomposition, and leave it alone or dispose of it. It's also more likely that the dog will consume all of it before anyone knows the difference. A whole skeleton is another story. You can cut a body into 6 pieces faster than you think. It's not much different than boning a chicken, but it takes more work, a big knife, and time. A hammer will be useful for pulverizing joints or driving the knife deep where it doesn't want to go. Anyway it's wise to crush as much of the skeleton as you can along the way. It will aid in making the body less identifiable for what it is as it decomposes.

Don't return to the same site 6 times for 6 burials.You'll attract suspicion from anyone nearby, and you'll wind up placing the body parts close enough together to be found by any serious investigation. Put them in plastic bags with lots of bleach, and store in a freezer until you have enough time to bury them all.

Depending on what tools you have available, you may find that you're get really good at deconstructing the body. You might prefer to slowly sprinkle it down a drain without leaving your house. This avoids the long-term risk of discovery associated with burial, and the overwhelming supply of bacteria in a sewer accelerates decomposition, while providing a convenient cover smell.

Truly grinding down a body takes a lot more work, and you run the risk of fouling your plumbing and calling in a plumber. So don't try it unless you know how to clear bones and meat out of a drainpipe. A good food processor can be useful. But don't over-use it, or power drills or saws. They're noisy and they attract attention. And forget the kitchen sink. It's better if you actually remove one of the toilets in your house from its base, which will give you direct access to one of the largest sewer pipes that enters your house. Follow any disposals with lots of bleach and then run the water for 5 or 10 minutes on top of that. And plug that pipe when you're not using it, to prevent any sewer gasses from backing up into your house. Usually, a U-trap inside the toilet does that for you.