Author Topic: Fan Actual Plays  (Read 50793 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Fan Actual Plays
« on: September 03, 2009, 01:28:19 PM »
All the talk of new Actual Play sessions from the crew and GenCon got me excited and I had an idea: why not try and make a fan specific library of Actual Plays?

I mean, all of us are fans of the show. Most of us play games during the week. I'm sure a few people record their sessions. So, as a grass roots movement of community members, let's share our games.

I'm willing to host the recordings. I know there'd be some logistical problems, like moving the large sound files around, but we can at least discuss it.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Fan Actual Plays
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 04:48:31 PM »
I'd more than happy to host it on RPPR - keep it under one roof. I've more than enough storage and bandwidth.

What's a good way to implement it?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 05:10:16 PM »
Well, given the size of an audio file that runs two or three hours, direct transfur over the net, such as through e-mail or IM, is unlikely to be helpful.

As I see it there are three real choices:

1) Hard copy. Sending a disk to whoever hosts the files. IT's slower and does cost some money, but no significant chance of error or data loss.

2) FTP access. An FTP program can hook into a server from any computer, so long as the user has the name and password of the server section. If a dedicated section of space could be set to upload only than it'd work well. Danger is, of course, granting access to hosted files. Not practical from my point of view.

3) Torrent transfur. My favorite option since all it requires is that the host and the sender have their computers on and connected to the internet. The sender bundles their files, creates a torrent file, the host downloads it and starts the transfur. With big files it can take some time but I've seldom had problems with torrents.

Atlas

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 07:30:55 PM »
I've actually started recording my sessions lately, I wouldn't mind doing this to be honest.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 07:51:01 PM »
I've been recording sessions for a few months. I don't think any of the ones that I have right now would be very interesting to listen to, I plan to try and make them more impressive in the future.

On the other hand, it might be fun to just throw the raw, normal stuff up and trade with other groups. Kinda like watching game films in sports, only we're not competing, we're helping each other.

Atlas

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 08:22:19 PM »
Sounds like a good idea. Improving our "game" would probably be the most beneficial thing we can get out of recording our sessions, a neutral perspective that is willing to assist is always better than a biased one.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 08:26:45 PM »
I'll look into methods of setting up a community file uploading and sharing system - something where people can upload their episodes whenever, then a moderator can approve them and they get posted to the site - with some kind of tagging/filtering mechanisms of course.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 08:41:44 PM »
Cool. I'm glad you're interested in this Ross, I thought I was gonna be more difficult to get this rolling.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 08:48:34 PM »
Nah, Ross is the biggest RPG'ing nerd ever.  8)
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 08:56:05 PM »
Probably should set up an group of 2-3 people to review them before they are posted. Not to be dicks, but simply because, in my honest and humble opinion, RPPR has a tradition of giving high quality content actual plays. Practically every other podcasts have terrible and boring actual plays for various reason (boring story, bad players, too many fights). The PA & PVP + Wil Wheaton one was pretty good but certainly had its down and is infested with metagaming (some of which is funny, I have to admit.)

Anyway, it should probably be reviewed for content and then decided upon. If it's rejected, it should simply explain why so that the person can fix whatever is the problem or record another type of game.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 12:20:02 AM »
Probably should set up an group of 2-3 people to review them before they are posted. Not to be dicks, but simply because, in my honest and humble opinion, RPPR has a tradition of giving high quality content actual plays. Practically every other podcasts have terrible and boring actual plays for various reason (boring story, bad players, too many fights). The PA & PVP + Wil Wheaton one was pretty good but certainly had its down and is infested with metagaming (some of which is funny, I have to admit.)

Anyway, it should probably be reviewed for content and then decided upon. If it's rejected, it should simply explain why so that the person can fix whatever is the problem or record another type of game.

well once I launch the RPPR AP podcast, I would like to have a community podcast section - where people can upload, listen and review games - moderators just check to make sure the files don't have copyrighted music and meet some basic standards (i.e. it actually has to be a AP episode and nothing that could get anyone in trouble)

However, everyone would review and rate fan AP episodes then I would publicize the best of the best on the main site. That way the RPPR AP podcast becomes the RPG actual play center of the internet and I am one step closer to dominating the universe providing the best RPG podcasting out there.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 01:03:16 AM »
I really like the sound of this. I mean, we all want to see Ross become internet famous. If there's anything I can do to help please let me know.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 01:17:37 AM »
I really like the sound of this. I mean, we all want to see Ross become internet famous. If there's anything I can do to help please let me know.

find a good CMS/backend that can handle that kind of thing - uploading big files, community ratings etc - what do FPS mod sites use? Start there

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 01:36:12 AM »
I'll get on it right away.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 09:21:28 PM »
First results: http://sourceforge.net/projects/back-end/

Appears to be a fairly basic design, still looking into application and implementation. Probably better things out there.