Author Topic: Eclipse Phase  (Read 600845 times)

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
Re: Eclipse Phase
« Reply #390 on: May 17, 2013, 03:23:31 AM »
Alright, what was once just a pitch has now come to pass. Maybe.

At $80K, Posthuman Studios will hire me to write a stand alone scenario that could also serve as a prequel for a group looking to start Know Evil.

In addition to being...well, just pretty darn swell for me, the success of this stretch goal would be a good sign that much lengthier publications (wink wink nudge nudge) might be in order.

There are 6 days left to pledge. Any an all support would be appreciated.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/507486226/transhuman-the-eclipse-phase-players-guide/posts/483020?ref=email&show_token=ffb0e9f56fdcc8d7

Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Wooberman

• I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #391 on: May 17, 2013, 05:18:36 AM »
Alright, what was once just a pitch has now come to pass. Maybe.

At $80K, Posthuman Studios will hire me to write a stand alone scenario that could also serve as a prequel for a group looking to start Know Evil.

In addition to being...well, just pretty darn swell for me, the success of this stretch goal would be a good sign that much lengthier publications (wink wink nudge nudge) might be in order.

There are 6 days left to pledge. Any an all support would be appreciated.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/507486226/transhuman-the-eclipse-phase-players-guide/posts/483020?ref=email&show_token=ffb0e9f56fdcc8d7

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 17, 2013, 05:08:37 PM »
Random thing I wondered about EP.

What's the standard life progression of a newly born kid in the transhuman future.

You are grown in an exowomb.

You are gene fixed and given the appropriate prebirth treatments.

You are born.

Then what? Do they immediately slap a cortical stack on your newborn neck and immediately back you up?

I take it you don't get placed in accelerated simulspace due to the Lost fiasco.

So do you just grow up along a normalish timeline? When do you get a mesh ID and all the implants and awesome transhuman goodies?

I'm just curious. I haven't read all of the EP setting info so it might be covered but I figured I'd ask here.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #393 on: May 17, 2013, 06:02:30 PM »
From what I've read, it happens a lot of different ways. Raising children after the fall is an extreme challenge that people are trying to solve.

Some children are raised as flats and are put in different bodies later. 

Some children are born as flats and remain flats.

Some children are given cortical stacks and mesh inserts from "birth."

Some children (like the lost generation) are raised in a time-accelerated simulspace that causes all of them to go crazy and become psychopathic killers.

Different planets and different habs have different ideas on conception, child-rearing, and the introduction of cyberware.

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 17, 2013, 08:08:26 PM »
I think that since it's only been 10 years since the Fall, I'd imagine that childraising is still undergoing the radical cultural changes that space-faring habitats and post-nationalist cultures would bring. I would say one of the things that most "regular" people would do is treasure their original bodies, probably more so since so many people lost theirs during the Fall.

+1 Hat

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 18, 2013, 12:28:08 AM »
Some children are raised as flats and are put in different bodies later. 

Some children are born as flats and remain flats.

Some children are given cortical stacks and mesh inserts from "birth."

Some children (like the lost generation) are raised in a time-accelerated simulspace that causes all of them to go crazy and become psychopathic killers.

Different planets and different habs have different ideas on conception, child-rearing, and the introduction of cyberware.

/StrongBad No two children are not on fire.

ThadExMachina

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • I put these words inside your brain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 18, 2013, 01:24:16 AM »
Imagine Tacnet in the hands of an obsessively controlling parent.
"You who read me, are you sure you understand my language?"
--Jorge Luis Borges

Teapot

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 18, 2013, 05:03:19 AM »
Too much work to monitor. I've meshed his muse to his eelwear and every time he does something beyond the bounds of current social parameters he gets an educational electric shock.

sinanju

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 18, 2013, 12:05:07 PM »
Too much work to monitor. I've meshed his muse to his eelwear and every time he does something beyond the bounds of current social parameters he gets an educational electric shock.

Plus, I lo-jacked his muse so I can always check on him via publicly-accessible security cameras whenever I wish. On the rare occasions that he goes into spaces that aren't covered, his muse records everything and sends me periodic updates.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #399 on: May 18, 2013, 02:43:31 PM »
okay if people thought the Lost were fucked up, can you imagine what that kind of parenting would do to a kid?

Teapot

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 18, 2013, 10:15:29 PM »
Can you imagine the market in nanny muses?

Each faction would start making them to spread their dogma. Just think of "My first Ultimate" who stands behind you, simulates pain when your mind wanders or you show mercy to the weak.

There's a scenario in this. Forget the exsurgents, someone needs to stop the Scum from getting all the nanny programs all fucked up on cyber drugs.

Jacko

• Hrrrrrmmmmmm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 19, 2013, 01:52:39 AM »
That's an idea for a PC with Edited Memories.   Many the things you did as a child were actually fake memories implanted to guilt you into behaving well by your parents.  That time you almost got hit by a hover truck because you didn't look both ways?  NOT REAL.

+1 Hat

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 19, 2013, 06:48:49 PM »
That's an idea for a PC with Edited Memories.   Many the things you did as a child were actually fake memories implanted to guilt you into behaving well by your parents.  That time you almost got hit by a hover truck because you didn't look both ways?  NOT REAL.

Hm... Eclipse Phase/Arrested Development mashup? "And that's why you always leave a note!"

Capitalocracy

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 19, 2013, 08:11:57 PM »
One of my players has an AI version of his character's rich father as the muse he gave her. I was like OK... that's more than a little fucked up.  :o

HuntCraw

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 21, 2013, 05:39:31 PM »
This was a great campaign, thank you so much for sharing! I look forward to the adventure that will come out of Transhuman Kickstarter.