Author Topic: The trail called Cthulhu itself?  (Read 5551 times)

xHero

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Dorothy: "Fuck it, I'll stay here."
    • View Profile
    • Swing And A Miss Forums
The trail called Cthulhu itself?
« on: September 28, 2009, 12:25:43 PM »
Grr!!!
 I'm completely torn when it comes to making this decision. I can't decide if my next one-shot is going to be CoC, ToC, Fear Itself, or Wraith/Geist.

I'm really leaning toward Trail of Cthulhu because it seems to be a great blend of all the other games. I'm really intrigued by the communal madness concept, it reminds me of wraith in that aspect. I just wanted to know if anyone has experience or a reason to stop me from buying the book?
"Mmm...Franklin Salad: Tastes of 100 dollar bills, semen, and shame!" - APFMT gone terribly wrong... or right. Check out the Swing And A Miss Forums

ArtfulShrapnel

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: The trail called Cthulhu itself?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 03:03:27 PM »
I can suggest trying Wraith/Geist for the extremely character-driven game that it always generates.

My players were hesitant at first, but they've ended up having a blast. Right now they are trying to protect a mutual anchor (Which I feel is a necessity for any good party dynamic in Wraith)

If you're interested, I can provide you with the modifications I made to the Geist manifestations, and some of the rules for how ghosts interact with the world. They ended up being relatively easy to follow, but I have been doling them out to my players as they come up. This has the interesting effect of creating more suspense. They don't know what will hurt a ghost exactly, or what they are capable of beyond the powers they picked out.

It's also the longest Ive gone without running a real "combat" in a game. Two full sessions, and aside from a single swipe by one PC at another, combat has been nonexistent. (Though i think that might change next game)

EDIT: Also, you neglected Wraith in the title of this post. :( I suggest "A Ghost of the Trail Called Ctulhu Itself".

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 09:20:12 PM »
Don't play Wraith/Geist, just play Geist. Always go with nWoD.

ArtfulShrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 12:16:03 AM »
Don't play Wraith/Geist, just play Geist. Always go with nWoD.

I'm in total agreement with you on principle, but I happen to be having a great time running Ghosts instead of Geists.

The nWoD system is much less preachy and narrowminded about How Things Are (with the exception of nWoD Mage perhaps) than oWoD. It's got a better, simpler rules system, easier to understand mechanics, better graphic design (again excluding Mage) and better writing.

The idea of being people stapled to ghosts just isn't as appealing for a horror setting as being JUST a ghost. Your power level is much lower even if you have all the same powers, putting you in a far more vulnerable position. A single determined arsonist poses a threat to an entire group of ghosts if they happen to share a building for their Anchors. It definitely can get people's hearts racing when they realize they might not be able to stop that ghost hunter who has figured them out. :)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 12:32:47 AM »
Agreed, if you want a horror experience than being a ghost helps alot since you have to consider anchors.

I seldom run horror so I usual go for systems which give my players the most options.

ArtfulShrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 02:04:29 AM »
Ah, yeah. If you're looking for a supernatural magic adventure, I think Geist is one of the coolest I've seen out of the nWoD. Interesting world, VERY cool powers, and decently balanced player characters. They can take on a vampire pretty good, struggle with a werewolf, and possibly injure a Mage. They sit nicely in the middle of the power spectrum, and (surprisingly) aren't as emo-goth-lame-tarded as some of the other WoD monsters.

But yeah. My vote stands for Wriath/Geist as a game to play if you want something different. Trail sounds like a good option if you want to run an accessible horror game.