Author Topic: The RPPR AP podcast site is now up  (Read 673382 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: The RPPR AP podcast site is now up
« Reply #780 on: July 26, 2014, 02:35:31 PM »
I think RPPR is unusual for podcasts in that many of our listeners are very selective about which episodes they download - I know we have listeners that:

1. Listen to everything immediately (i.e. crawlkill)

2. Listen to most episodes but miss some stuff

3. Only listen to a particular genre or game system (only Call of Cthulhu)

4. Listen to one shots but skip campaigns

5. Only listen to a single campaign

and I'm sure I'm missing other listener groups.

SageNytell

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • We're the Tusken Sound Raiders... start the rave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 28, 2014, 10:19:04 AM »
I listen to goddamned everything, but I will sometimes not listen to an episode until a month afterward. I listened to Rick and Morty last week, but I'm just now hitting Part 3 of A Very Thorough Murder.

I'll usually save the last few episodes of a campaign for when I go on vacation, to have something interesting for the drive. Oneshots I'll usually listen to in my office.

I'm probably on the weird side though, since I listen so late and don't usually comment, I just don't feel I have something to contribute most of the time.

Gorkamorka

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 28, 2014, 11:31:34 AM »
I think RPPR is unusual for podcasts in that many of our listeners are very selective about which episodes they download - I know we have listeners that:

1. Listen to everything immediately (i.e. crawlkill)

2. Listen to most episodes but miss some stuff

3. Only listen to a particular genre or game system (only Call of Cthulhu)

4. Listen to one shots but skip campaigns

5. Only listen to a single campaign

and I'm sure I'm missing other listener groups.

I'm a number 2.

I listen to most things.  Probably two out of three actual plays.  I skip some one shots that are in systems that don't interest me.   I will also not start listening to campaigns until they are about 3-5 sessions in.  If those episodes are good I may go back and listen to the first once.  It's been my experience that the RPPR campaigns are a bit rocky for the first few sessions while the players and the GM are getting used to the system/world.  Then once people have rapped their head around what they are doing the campaigns take of.  The exceptions to that rule are Know Evil and the Tribes of Tokyo.  With those the system interested me enough to listen from the start and they also happened to be games that had good first sessions.

I also find with the APs that games with drawn out or complex combat tend to work worse, as APs, then games with fast combat.  So DnD is a bad AP game, Eclipse Phase and Wild Talents are medium for APs, while Night’s Black Agents and Cthulu are good for APs (As long as you don't slip into dog punching).
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #783 on: July 28, 2014, 08:10:05 PM »
I am mostly in camp 2. I tend to work through one shots first and then follow campaigns. On campaigns I do tend to run hot or cold.

After listening to a number of APs I have come to the conclusion I am not a fan of the super hero genre in general and campaigns specifically although I did like the first tier of The Hero's of New Arcadia. On the other hand CoC and Eclipse Phase are always welcome. Know Evil was a great campaign and enjoyed Tribes of Tokyo and Iron Hero's quite a lot.

Review Cultist

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: July 28, 2014, 08:44:34 PM »
Number 2, though bordering on Number 1. At this point I'll listen to anything they toss out, I'm open to setting and systems. I like the style of "at the table" Actual Play RPPR rolls with. Reminds me of my own gaming group.
Liquid Water?

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #785 on: July 28, 2014, 08:56:43 PM »
Number 2, though bordering on Number 1. At this point I'll listen to anything they toss out, I'm open to setting and systems. I like the style of "at the table" Actual Play RPPR rolls with. Reminds me of my own gaming group.

I have not listened to many other actual plays because often the audio quality is too terrible for me to hang on and I am lazy with only limited hours I can devote to listening to podcasts so get rid of things pretty quick. Given what I can only describe as 'we are doing it live' style that RPPR uses with basically no editing the product is actually pretty polished.

I am giving One Shot a chance right now but while I am enjoying it (their Feng Shui game is great) the 'need to do all the voices' part of the game grates on me a bit. The RPPR crew is similar to games I have been in or run, except of course the RPPR people play more than a dozen times a year, so it is more connected to my own gaming experiences.

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #786 on: July 30, 2014, 03:22:43 PM »
I used to be Number 1 for a long while (2009-2012 I think) but I started becoming more of a Number 2 after a while. Mostly because of work and university leave me less time to dedicate to APs, but also because I just wasn't as invested in some of the games and campaigns being posted. Not to say they were bad or anything, RPPR puts out a lot of comedy gold, but for example I've never been a fan of the superhero genre and so I didn't get into Wild Talents and Base Raiders, to name a few. BUt on the contrary I love most of the other stuff including Call of Cthulhu, Eclipse Phase, GUMSHOE, ORE and The New World campaing/ D&D. I even loved The Spared and the Spoiled because it was less superheroes and more of a zany A Dirty World with demons.

I still listen to some things with a lot of enthusiasm. When Ross posted the Hedgerow AP I immediately dropped everything I was doing to start listening to it. And I have never missed a single episode of the main RPPR podcast, nor anything from Unspeakable podcast. So yeah, you guys are still the best podcast around.  ;)

BishopSansPants

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: July 31, 2014, 11:37:32 PM »
I listen first as a number 3 but I keep most of the APs I haven't listened to yet on my phone for when I get short on other podcasts so all in all I end up being a number 2.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #788 on: August 11, 2014, 05:09:57 PM »
So, I have an idea for a future RPPR project. Replays are basically novelized transcriptions of tabletop RPG sessions. They are very popular in Japan. Would any of you be interested in reading our actual plays instead of listening to them? Now keep in mind there is no way we can do this without charging for it in some way - I would have to hire out a transcription service. However, given that many people prefer reading to listening, I thought it might be worth asking. I could also add bits to the transcripts - asides from GM, etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_role-playing_game#Replays

D6xD6 - Chris

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: August 11, 2014, 05:51:04 PM »
DO OUR OPINIONS MATTER NOW!?!?  ;)

Dom

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: August 11, 2014, 05:57:01 PM »
I've heard of something similar done for western RPGs, in that a lot of fantasy novels are actually adapted rewrites of D&D campaigns. I also got pretty excited when I heard that there was a fan translation for Red Dragon, a campaign where a bunch of Japanese anime writers are playing in and been turned to replays. Among the cast is Urobuchi, AKA Urobutcher AKA the guy behind Psycho-Pass and a bunch of other awesome light novels and anime.

So what I'm saying is, I would definitely be interested in such a project. Depending on the price range, I might even be tempted to spend a few money units for it. :P

Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #791 on: August 11, 2014, 06:47:54 PM »
I personally already have a backlog of reading to do and like the podcasts because I can listen when I am out walking or doing house chores.

How long are these things? Is a verbatim transcription or just the story elements? There is often a lot of talking over the top of each other and I think reading it would be chaos if it was straight transcription but editing it down to actually distill the story and content would be quite a bit of work. 

So count me dubious. I might do one or two for the novelty but I don't see it hooking me long term.

trinite

• View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #792 on: August 13, 2014, 02:51:10 PM »
As I said on the facebook thread, I don't think I'm much in the market for this, since I have way more listening-time than reading-time in my life right now.

THAT SAID: I could totally see myself paying for transcripts as a way to gather ideas for my own game. Some of Caleb's EP flavor elements from Know Evil or the plots from Tribes of Tokyo would be worth having in printed form so that I could incorporate them into my own games.

But as someone mentioned on Facebook, I'm not sure about possible IP legal problems. I know, for example, that Paizo has a somewhat complicated policy about what you can use their Golarion setting property for. Other companies might have similar-or-worse issues. You seem to be tight with Arc Dream and Posthuman Studios, so I imagine they'd probably be cool with things.
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #793 on: August 17, 2014, 09:16:42 PM »
The first replays will be set in my next game, Ruin, so no worries about that.

trinite

• View Profile
    • Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast
« Reply #794 on: August 18, 2014, 10:09:52 AM »
The first replays will be set in my next game, Ruin, so no worries about that.

Ah, good call.
Check out the Technical Difficulties Gaming Podcast!
http://www.technicaldifficultiespod.com/