Author Topic: The RPPR AP podcast site is now up  (Read 673420 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: The RPPR AP podcast site is now up
« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2010, 06:03:27 PM »
yeah but guns are fucking useless against the truly scary shit in CoC. Hell, in the prototype game do you think any gun would have been able to take down Alex Mercer or the monsters that gave him a problem?

In the game, the weapons are awesome against basic walkers, especially in large groups but only after you fully upgrade them (by eating dudes who know how to use them).

They don't do shit against Hunters.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2010, 06:05:20 PM »
yeah but guns are fucking useless against the truly scary shit in CoC. Hell, in the prototype game do you think any gun would have been able to take down Alex Mercer or the monsters that gave him a problem?

In the game, the weapons are awesome against basic walkers, especially in large groups but only after you fully upgrade them (by eating dudes who know how to use them).

I think you guys may be overlooking a specific component of the equation. Guns don't mean shit if the player isn't a good action role player to begin with. Who cares if you have a D.Eagle anyway if as a player you don't have the competency to understand an action sequence.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2010, 06:14:01 PM »
I think you guys may be overlooking a specific component of the equation. Guns don't mean shit if the player isn't a good action role player to begin with. Who cares if you have a D.Eagle anyway if as a player you don't have the competency to understand an action sequence.

If you've heard the second Proto-type game than you know two people who care and three people who don't.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2010, 06:14:46 PM »

What did I use in the game? I don't remember.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2010, 06:17:47 PM »

If you've heard the second Proto-type game than you know two people who care and three people who don't.

I haven't yet. I'm just saying that generally people that become over obsessive with their weapon choices like how Cody described don't usually understand how to use them in an action sequence (and probably don't understand the physics of how the firearms work). [rant] Action movies, physics BS, fracka, fracka, fracka...[/rant]
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2010, 06:26:22 PM »
Basically: You're not going to punch out Cthulhu with a shotgun.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2010, 06:33:15 PM »
I think I follow you.

What did I use in the game? I don't remember.

Wait, the game the recording or the actual game "Prototype"?

In the AP the players use submachine guns (I don't remember the specific gun, though one of the players who wasn't Tom or Cody mentioned it) and pistols (Dester Eagles and 9mms because you wouldn't let Tom have a .45 (a wise choice I felt)) to blow the shit out of Walkers when they hit a hot zone because walkers are basically running zombies. But when they try to attack a wounded Hunter they unload the entire clip of an M4 into it's head, throw a flame grenade on it, and then still nearly get killed by it before getting away. Then they decided to get more guns.

In the video game, Hunter didn't fuck around. It takes like three or four missles from the shoulder launchers to kill one of them, depending on the difficulty mode. They make for a pretty good CoC enemy.

I find it funny how after the failed effort to even hurt the Hunter, Cody just sort of gave up trying to keep playing it as an investigation game because it was clear half the party just wasn't going to play that way. He started trying to acquire mental disorders, get the two guys into situations where they'd die, and repeatedly refers to their characters as meat shields.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2010, 02:57:58 PM »
I really, really liked the most recent AP.  The Oz series is one of my favorite children's series, and the re-imagining of it was an amazing stroll down memory lane.  That campaign or whatever seems really cool and I must say the APs are excellent advertising for it.

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason the other nations weren't mentioned?  I don't think it made that much of a difference, just was something I noticed...

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #128 on: March 13, 2010, 01:39:33 AM »
Eh, wanted to keep the game focused basically. Didn't want to drag in even more complications than there already was.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2010, 02:27:30 AM »
oh man this new Delta Green AP was fucking great

it sucks that I had to record it in such a noisy environment

but man oh man was it fun to run

also I based it on notes from Scott Glancy so yeah

Mckma

• Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 16, 2010, 03:25:16 AM »
oh man this new Delta Green AP was fucking great

it sucks that I had to record it in such a noisy environment

but man oh man was it fun to run

also I based it on notes from Scott Glancy so yeah

I'm excited to listen.  Will probably have to wait until Wednesday afternoon though as I have two finals that morning to study for...

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2010, 03:45:24 AM »
If Ross post it

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2010, 12:18:32 PM »

ShotgunSurgeon

« Reply #133 on: March 16, 2010, 12:37:19 PM »
I'm about halfway through the Delta Green AP right now... pretty bad ass. I'll try to give my thoughts after I get through all of it.

I'm not really that familiar with the setting, but the premise seems perfect for CoC. You avoid most of the "suspension of disbelief" bullshit common with pairing a ninja mercenary, esoteric professor, and street detective together.

Great job!

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 16, 2010, 12:39:59 PM »
If Ross post it

?

Damn right, you better acknowledge me (and Tom) for making characters for you.