Author Topic: DORF FORT  (Read 67612 times)

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
Re: DORF FORT
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2010, 12:12:11 PM »
Downloaded the game, looking for a decent tileset so that it is easier to visually guess what things are until I get a better feel for play.  Does anyone know of any good tutorials for the newest version?  I'm thinking about just looking at the one for the previous version and doing similar things, but with the updated game...

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2010, 03:16:27 PM »
Capt Duck is still my fave. posted in here some were by me. Most of the things he covers are still the same. I dont think he covers making a world but I cant rember. I do know that its a lot easyer in the new game to make a world if you have a magma level added into your world so as you dig down you will run into lava no matter what so you can make forges and what not with magma instead of the damn wood burrning ones. haha!

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2010, 08:53:08 PM »
Read a little, then figured just to work my way through and guess.  I read/watch a little on the side every once in a while, but won't really do much until my first society goes belly up.  The main problem I have right now though is that my dwarves don't seem to want to farm.  Anyone know what might be wrong?  I have muddied the soil, have seeds/spawn, and have issued orders (I think), but nothing happens.  According to a few tutorials I have done everything I have to do, but is there something easily missed?

ArtfulShrapnel

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2010, 11:28:33 PM »
Read a little, then figured just to work my way through and guess.  I read/watch a little on the side every once in a while, but won't really do much until my first society goes belly up.  The main problem I have right now though is that my dwarves don't seem to want to farm.  Anyone know what might be wrong?  I have muddied the soil, have seeds/spawn, and have issued orders (I think), but nothing happens.  According to a few tutorials I have done everything I have to do, but is there something easily missed?

As with many things in dwarf fortress, there are oh so many ways that your dwarfs can decide to stop growing stuff. The learning curve is steep on this game and the tutorials can have some glaring blind spots. I feel like I sound patronizing, but I'm just trying to be thorough:

I'm assuming you already built farm plots, but just to be safe I'll mention that you need to hit "b" then "p" and use the uhkm+arrow controls to define your farm plot. A dwarf with Farming: Fields labor enabled will have to "build" it. Some tutorials think this is so obvious they don't need to mention it; this is a common problem with people so good at a game they feel qualified to write tutorials.

You should make sure that one of your dwarves has "Farming (fields)" enabled in his labor preferences, and that he doesn't have too much else going on to distract him. Try turning off some of the "Hauling" tasks if he seems to busy to grow his ass some dinner.

Make sure your farm is set to grow a seed type you have for the current season. There are four seasons for each field, and you'll want to make sure that you have a seed type selected for each one. "Plump Helmets" is the type you most likely have on hand. This is kinda a more advanced side note, but try to make multiple fields and leave each field fallow for one season a year: this will make your fields last longer.

Set up a stockpile for seeds (custom stockpile settings can let you do this) near the farm plots and remove seeds from your other stockpiles. That way your dwarf plants more seeds between each beer break. It may be that he's trying to farm but can't get very far because of having to haul seeds around.

That's what I can think of right off the top of my head. Did doing any of those things get those lazy dorfs working?

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2010, 11:38:45 PM »
As with many things in dwarf fortress, there are oh so many ways that your dwarfs can decide to stop growing stuff. The learning curve is steep on this game and the tutorials can have some glaring blind spots. I feel like I sound patronizing, but I'm just trying to be thorough:

I'm assuming you already built farm plots, but just to be safe I'll mention that you need to hit "b" then "p" and use the uhkm+arrow controls to define your farm plot. A dwarf with Farming: Fields labor enabled will have to "build" it. Some tutorials think this is so obvious they don't need to mention it; this is a common problem with people so good at a game they feel qualified to write tutorials.

You should make sure that one of your dwarves has "Farming (fields)" enabled in his labor preferences, and that he doesn't have too much else going on to distract him. Try turning off some of the "Hauling" tasks if he seems to busy to grow his ass some dinner.

Make sure your farm is set to grow a seed type you have for the current season. There are four seasons for each field, and you'll want to make sure that you have a seed type selected for each one. "Plump Helmets" is the type you most likely have on hand. This is kinda a more advanced side note, but try to make multiple fields and leave each field fallow for one season a year: this will make your fields last longer.

Set up a stockpile for seeds (custom stockpile settings can let you do this) near the farm plots and remove seeds from your other stockpiles. That way your dwarf plants more seeds between each beer break. It may be that he's trying to farm but can't get very far because of having to haul seeds around.

That's what I can think of right off the top of my head. Did doing any of those things get those lazy dorfs working?

Not patronizing at all (I know the difficulty of trying to be thorough and not wanting to sound insulting).  I did set the plot, I do have at least one farmer, and I did set to grow stuff (mushrooms), I'll try disabling other tasks and stockpiling seeds/whatnot nearby.

Thanks...

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2010, 05:05:44 AM »
Mushrooms you cant build above ground. and in order to grow anything at all anymore you need water on your fields. so you need to build a few pumps to your plots if your building underground.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2010, 10:35:21 AM »
Mushrooms you cant build above ground. and in order to grow anything at all anymore you need water on your fields. so you need to build a few pumps to your plots if your building underground.

I tried working things out, but I knew the underground growing thing.  So either my dwarves prefer to starve or I'm still doing something wrong.  Turns out some of my stuff was stolen I think, but I'm still trying...

EDIT:  I guess I didn't have stuff that can grow underground, put some above ground fields and know they are growing stuff...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:44:16 AM by Mckma »

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2010, 11:06:20 AM »
Another random question:  What do you usually do with all the stone and stuff early on?  I find it very cluttering and don't know what to do with all of it since I can only use so much in building stuff...

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2010, 11:44:49 AM »
Another random question:  What do you usually do with all the stone and stuff early on?  I find it very cluttering and don't know what to do with all of it since I can only use so much in building stuff...

Haulers and bins mostly. Alot of games I've seen end up with an insane "general storage" area where stuff gets dumped to keep it out of the way.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2010, 12:08:44 PM »

Haulers and bins mostly. Alot of games I've seen end up with an insane "general storage" area where stuff gets dumped to keep it out of the way.

That's kinda what I was thinking...

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2010, 04:58:26 PM »
destroy it. If bridges are still atom smashers in this version the best way to get rid of excess stone is to obliterate it. Otherwise, you will eventually suffer lag death.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2010, 05:02:53 PM »
destroy it. If bridges are still atom smashers in this version the best way to get rid of excess stone is to obliterate it. Otherwise, you will eventually suffer lag death.

You can't simply remove matter from existance! It'll change the gravitational constant of the univer*

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2010, 05:19:47 PM »

How do you destroy stuff?

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2010, 08:02:26 PM »
What I like to do is make a single square my dump usuly in my masons area, then select all the stones you want to be moved there for dumping. they will put them all in that one single square and it never grows bigger. you can go back to that square and unmark them from dumping and the masons will now be able to walk 3 feet and grab any stone that you have dug up. early in the game it will take a while if you dig alot like me but later once you have enough dwarfs to do shit any new area of stone you mark for dumping gets picked up realy quick.

ArtfulShrapnel

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 18, 2010, 12:11:21 AM »
What I like to do is make a single square my dump usuly in my masons area, then select all the stones you want to be moved there for dumping. they will put them all in that one single square and it never grows bigger. you can go back to that square and unmark them from dumping and the masons will now be able to walk 3 feet and grab any stone that you have dug up. early in the game it will take a while if you dig alot like me but later once you have enough dwarfs to do shit any new area of stone you mark for dumping gets picked up realy quick.

This is what I do.