Author Topic: Rogue Trader game. Not play by post exactly.  (Read 224724 times)

Murph

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader game. Not play by post exactly.
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2010, 04:28:47 PM »
Both work for me.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2010, 05:15:53 PM »
Good, good. So, important thing: I need people to think about cool stuff they want to get. Everybody gets to pick cool new stuff using all the money you made last time, so I need to know what kinds of things you want so I can look up the right things in game.

Weapons, gear, cybernetic body parts, sex slaves, soldiers, small tiny synthetic "moons" that orbit your ship, stationary with your name and personal logo on it, whatever. You have alot of money and you'll get to spend it on alot of shit.

But I need to know what you want.

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2010, 10:36:33 PM »
I'm getting the book this weekend, so I'll take a look at some of the gear options.  You may still have to pick specifics, but I'll at least get some ideas.  I'm guessing with power armor, I don't need more armor.  A weapon (ranged is probably most needed?) would be nice.  Not sure about other stuff.  If my crew approves, I could use one of my slots to buy them each a squad of soldiers.  Not sure how expensive that is.  My last item slot, I'll get back to you.  Thanks for taking the time to upgrade everyone.  Congrats on the house. I just read your other post.  I need a gaming room so badly.
Check out the NerdBound podcast on iTunes or at NerdBound
Follow me on Twitter @nbneil

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2010, 11:48:23 PM »
Men are cheap. I mean, you can get like 10,000 dudes carrying lasguns as a Common level acquisition. It's their level of training that makes them more difficult to find. The better trained your soldiers are, the more experience the acquisition.

Basically, the cost of something goes up the rarer it is, goes down the fewer of the idea you want, and goes up based on the quality of the item.

So, acquiring something Best Quality is a -30 mod. Acquiring on one is +30. A Scare availablity item is +0. So, acquiring only one of a Scare item that is Best Quality, has a total Acquisition modifier of +0. To acquire the item, you have to roll a d100 under your total Profit Factor. Your current Profit Factor is 75.

As for suggestions, as captain you'll want status symbols. In the Imperium of mankind, that means a bolt gun of some kind. Some weapons do more damage and some are better to shot but bolt guns are to 40K humans what katanas are to gamer nerds. A Thermal Lance might be able to pierce three bulkheads on a cruisers and still turn an asshole in guard flak plate into ash when it finally hits him but to the average citizen it just looks like a big piece of equipment. A boltgun, on the other hand, is a nearly universally understood symbol. It's the Desert Eagle, it's the .45, it's the AK-47, it's that one gun that anybody who's ever seen a movie or heard a story knows about and if you've got one that puts you a step up on somebody who doesn't. Any major figure in space affairs wants a boltgun, even if it's just a showy pistol.

There's also the matter of expanding your current equipment. Powered Armor requires, surprise!, power. A normal battery, which you curretly have, only lasts for a maximum of five hours before the suit will power down. If you want longer, you need a military grade battery. Luckily, Rogue Traders can get the good shit... but they have to pay for it. Getting a military battery, which would allow from 24 hours of continued use AND have an emergency backup built in, would be a whole acquisition on its own but its the only way to go if you want to be able to pimp walk your way across the planet you plan to crush.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 12:12:47 AM by Tadanori Oyama »

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2010, 09:36:44 AM »
Ok, I get the gist of the system.  So here are my absolute two tries:
1) military grade battery.  I want to be able to go all night long baby.
2) not sure how to say this, but bad ass boltgun that may be more flashy than necessary (like a gold plated desert eagle .50 caliber).  People should turn and look like how the hell did he get that.  If it is too difficult (10 or 20% chance of success), downgrading to something more reasonable is ok.  I'll leave it up to your judgement as I'd rather have anything better than my current pistol than something unnecessarily flashy.
3) still undecided, but I'm thinking something awesome for the ship is better than soldiers for the individual crew.  They can focus on getting stuff for themselves.  If you have suggestions, you can go with it as you are also upgrading the ship.

Thanks for the suggestions and putting this together.  I'll have the full rulebook this weekend, but it'll take time for me to go through.  Maybe game 3 I'll be prepared.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2010, 10:58:22 AM »
Well I think your current pistol is a Best Quality revolver, so you'll want a Best Quality replacement (since "Best" provides a bonus to attack rolls). A bolt pistol is the most common of all bolt weaponry, so you'll have little trouble getting one. It would take some time, in game time, but luckily we're advancing game time. The real advantage of a bolt pistol, aside from the cred it imparts, is that they have the Tearing quality, which allows you to roll twice for damage and use the higher roll.

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2010, 08:36:07 PM »
Are we set this week?  I can do Thursday at 7PM EST or if absolutely necessary I could do maybe 6:30 or 7PM EST on Friday.  The Friday game might have some interruptions where I have to change rooms.  I can probably go until 11PM or midnight depending.  Roll call?

Murph

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2010, 08:39:57 PM »
Ironically, my Sunday Rogue Trader game is moving to thursday.  So if we do it Thursday, I can't : /

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2010, 10:13:08 PM »
Hmm, bummer.  Well I haven't seen anything from Sean-o-tron or Hero, so I'm hoping we can get 3 players one way or another.  I can send something to my group if necessary.  So is Friday definitely the best day at 7PM EST?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2010, 10:14:36 PM »
Hmm, given the sudden changes to schedules I think we may have to change to friday which would put our play time at a fairly tight three hours.

I think we need to move this back one week to give me time to finish upgrading characters and allow everyone to select their acquisitions (or at least make a guess as to things they might want).

Would Friday the 22nd work for everyone?

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2010, 10:18:14 PM »
I can probably do the 22nd.  It will be a lot easier for me compared to this weekend at least for a Friday. 

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2010, 10:30:57 PM »
For my third slot, would it be ludicrous to try and acquire a Teleportarium or Bridge of Antiquity for the ship?  If so, something else awesome for the ship would be good.  I'm making my way through the rulebook slowly, but surely.  Soon enough I can handle my own upgrades if it helps.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2010, 11:17:30 PM »
That would help. Feel free to craft your own Light Cruiser, if you wish. You have 60 ship points to work with. Left overs can be rolled into profit factor, as per usual.

Sean-o-tron

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • heard nonsense
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2010, 08:38:21 PM »
Hmm, given the sudden changes to schedules I think we may have to change to friday which would put our play time at a fairly tight three hours.

I think we need to move this back one week to give me time to finish upgrading characters and allow everyone to select their acquisitions (or at least make a guess as to things they might want).

Would Friday the 22nd work for everyone?

I would very much like to game on Friday the 22nd, if that is alright.

As a side note, I think cybernetic parts would be awesome to get for my character, like maybe he reconsidered the offer that was made to him in the sick-bay.

Also a personalized mug.

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2010, 09:38:50 PM »
You're more than welcome to play.  If you want me to suggest some other stuff that you might want to get, I can try to do so. 

I'm trying to build the Light Cruiser, but 60 points seems a bit tough with the hull costing 55.  Is there anything I can do about that?  I wasn't sure if I should reduce the hull size to a frigate or just limit the bells and whistles on the ship.  After weapons, I have 1 ship point left (took 2 macrocannon batteries and a titanforge lance battery).  Suggestions Tad?  I can probably live with what it is, just thought I ask.