Author Topic: New World Campaign Primer Ransom  (Read 18200 times)

Murph

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Re: New World Campaign Primer Ransom
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 12:37:26 AM »
Ross or clockworkjoe, whatever you are called on the INTARWEBS

Did you have a plan if your PCs took the side of the thieves guild in the water spirit dungeon, for whatever reason or other.  Or where you kinda counting on the basic goodness of the PCs?  I mean, the thieves guild are assholes, so they were doomed from the start with your group.

I suppose I'm asking, what if my group doesnt take a shying to the gripoli and is like "Meh frog people..."

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 03:20:37 AM »
Ross or clockworkjoe, whatever you are called on the INTARWEBS

Did you have a plan if your PCs took the side of the thieves guild in the water spirit dungeon, for whatever reason or other.  Or where you kinda counting on the basic goodness of the PCs?  I mean, the thieves guild are assholes, so they were doomed from the start with your group.

I suppose I'm asking, what if my group doesnt take a shying to the gripoli and is like "Meh frog people..."

I hadn't planned anything in advance so no, I could have easily rolled with it had they chose the guild. My advice isn't to plan things out too far in advance because players are...unpredictable sometimes and part of the appeal of roleplaying to me is to see how the players react certain dilemmas.

One session I did plan in advance, I had a big fight with a horde of lizardmen. But do the players attack? No, they want to negotiate.

As for the other NPCs in the new world, I meant RELEVANT NPCs who had some kind of role in the game, as opposed to random jerks I only use once.

I did forgot Locke's ex, Maria though.

arthwollipot

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 07:35:28 AM »
Yeah, I tend to be of this mind too. I try not to plan too much, because the players will always try to do something I hadn't planned for. You certainly can't plan more than one session ahead. The only time I've managed it successfully was when I had pre-written a Prophecy right at the beginning and essentially railroaded them through it. Fortunately I had a party that was willing to play along. If I'd had a rebellious party it wouldn't have worked.

My current game, I have a vague idea of what else is going on in the rest of the galaxy and a loose timeline, but no real plan. Still works pretty well. :)
This cloaking device is heavily destroyed.

Tom Church

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 09:06:45 PM »
Dude, I don't play good aligned that often.

But when I do, I play my character GOOD!

Like, "good to the detriment of completing the mission in a timely, efficient manner" good.

Like "I actually try to negotioate with the Lizardmen" good.
"The upper class keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes.  The middle class pays all of the taxes and does all of the work.  The poor are there just to scare the shit out of the middle class.  Keep them showing up at those 'jobs'."  George Carlin

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 12:25:50 PM »
I'm typing furiously now! I'm pretty proud of some of my backgrounds and my head is swimming right now. I could seriously play in this world forever, but with new characters. I HAVE SO MANY IDEAS! BRAIN EXPLODING ALL OVER FACE!!!!
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Murph

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 08:56:28 PM »
I actually will be running a New World Campaign starting on the 9th!  I'm very excited!

We are being difficult and are running it in 3.5, however.

I'm starting everyone at level 3, with one low level magic item, one masterwork item, and as much mundane stuff they can fit in a sack?  Does this sound reasonable?