Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 51320 times)

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« on: December 19, 2009, 10:04:19 PM »
So, just got done watching Avatar, was pretty good.  Me and my wife enjoyed it. what did you guys think of it? did you see it in 3D? We watched it in normal but might go back in a couple weeks and watch the 3d part. anywyas just wondering what everyone thought bout it.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Avatar
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 11:37:19 PM »
Saw it in 3D. Spectacular visuals and action especially in 3D but the story was so goddamn thin. Colonial exploitation is such a complex issue and Avatar reduced it to such a retarded black and white issue.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 01:00:40 AM »
I hear the game is good, especially when compared to most movie games. You can play a ten foot blue guy.

beowuuf

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • DM.com - forums dedicated to a 25 year old PC game.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 08:53:25 AM »

Just watched it now. I think I was suitably warned and expected the whole Dances with Wolves and spiritual aspect. The visuals were good (especially CGI Sigorney cat creature) and it was quite enjoyable.

More importantly though, I thought of RPPR during it because 'Go! Go! Go!' count = 2

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 03:07:09 PM »
Saw it in 3D. Spectacular visuals and action especially in 3D but the story was so goddamn thin. Colonial exploitation is such a complex issue and Avatar reduced it to such a retarded black and white issue.

i feel they prob did that just to make it easyer for little kids to follow. after all there the new tow in McDonalds and im sure theres a whole line of action figures. I seen some of the more adult market items wich look realy cool, but yeah I figured thats the reason they made it more black and white. the more complex part such as the earth has a soul and all living beeings are concected was more for the adults trying to push the propaganda of global warming.

rayner23

• Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 03:27:33 PM »

What the fuck do you know about colonial exploitation?
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 01:37:51 PM »

What the fuck do you know about colonial exploitation?

::)

Murph

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 11:14:25 AM »
Shitty metaphores aside, I felt like I'd seen this plot before, across multiple genres

[Hero] starts on [bad guys/military/jocks/townsfolk] side who he think is good.  Joins the [good guys/rebels/nerds/supposed monster] and finds out they are super cool.  The  [good guys/rebels/nerds/supposed monster] find out the [hero] is working for the [bad guys/military/jocks/townsfolk] and feel betrayed.  The [bad guys/military/jocks/townsfolk] reject the [hero] and the [hero] does something to redeem himself to the [good guys/rebels/nerds/supposed monster] and challenges the supremacy of the [bad guys/military/jocks/townsfolk], in which there is a final confrontation with the [bad guys/military/jocks/townsfolk] leader.  The leader is defeated and we learn [good triumphs over evil/War is bad/Everyone is cool/We were the monsters all along].

Movies off the top of my head that fit this pattern: All of them

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 10:32:03 PM »
what I dont get is when people see this type of movie they allways have to say its the same story just diffrent people/visuals. sure it may be the same shit new smell but everyone likes it. not every movie is gonna be ground braking plot and awsome new story. It all brakes down to the hide behind a random name on the internet and bam i can call a rose shit and and expect everyone to suck my epeen. whats the point of pointing out the fact that its the same story done over 100 times again. shit starwars was the same story done over 100 times along with most movies that have some form of fantasy or si-fi aspect. if it truly bothers you that its the same story why see it?

Im, not saying anyone here is like that its just crazy that everyone says that. I know im guilty of it, i just dont get why.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 02:35:34 AM »
what I dont get is when people see this type of movie they allways have to say its the same story just diffrent people/visuals. sure it may be the same shit new smell but everyone likes it. not every movie is gonna be ground braking plot and awsome new story. It all brakes down to the hide behind a random name on the internet and bam i can call a rose shit and and expect everyone to suck my epeen. whats the point of pointing out the fact that its the same story done over 100 times again. shit starwars was the same story done over 100 times along with most movies that have some form of fantasy or si-fi aspect. if it truly bothers you that its the same story why see it?

Im, not saying anyone here is like that its just crazy that everyone says that. I know im guilty of it, i just dont get why.

Aaarrgh. STORY MATTERS. When you say something like the above, you are also in effect saying that every single song in your favorite genre (rock for example) is identical and Jimi Hendrix is no different than the average high school garage band. You are denying the possibility that some works of pop culture/art have a better structure than others - because you want to put them all in the same amorphous blob that is popular culture. Nothing is good, nothing is bad. Everything is to be judged on the content of its viscera - its explosions, body count, tits and asses, catchphrases, blood and gore and special effects.   

CRITICISM MATTERS. Not the generic "THIS FUKKEN RULES/THIS FUKKEN SUCKS" shit you see on the Internet but a more detailed critique of a film's strengths and weaknesses. Ebert is a pretty good writer actually and while I don't always agree with him, he's a good critic.

So it's not the same story every time. Great storytelling creates unique and satisfying variations on a common theme - it seems similar but it has a 'one of a kind' feel to it that lesser works fail to capture. The original Star Wars trilogy was not the same story done over 100 times - it was a unique fusion of Akira Kurosawa films, the best Westerns and many other things. It was something the world had never seen before and that is why it is so important to this day.

Let's look at two movies: Terminator 2 and Avatar - both are sci fi action flicks directed by James Cameron and noted for their high tech special effects.

Terminator 2 has a great story and structure - Avatar has a bad story and structure. I don't want to get into every little detail but here are a few reasons why:

THEME: Terminator 2 has several important themes interwoven with the plot: Fate (can we change our fate?), the nature of humanity, The danger of technology/progress and our inherent warlike nature. For example the theme of humanity is shown throughout by not only the T-800's actions and his education by John Connor but through Sarah Connor's decision not to kill the engineer responsible for Skynet - this is a moral gray area. Is right to kill someone for something they haven't even thought of doing yet? How do you know it's right? These themes are shown through good storytelling and do not distract from the overall story - they enhance it.

In Avatar the themes are very simple (nature good, exploitation bad) even the nature of humanity theme. Jake Sully is a human but decides to become a Navi by the end of the movie. There is no moral ambiguity, confusion or even hesitation over falling in love with an alien and siding with them or even permanently transferring into his alien body. This is lazy storytelling because it doesn't cause us to question our own values or raise tension in the movie. Don't you think the movie would have been better if it had addressed how much of a leap it was to side with an alien species or if Jake was losing his humanity at all?

CHARACTERIZATION: Look at the character arcs of Sarah and the T800 in T2. Both start out as rather cold, hardened warriors in their own way but become wiser through the course of the movie. Sarah decides to spare the engineer's life because he has a family and as a mother she realizes the value of human life. The T800 learns why people cry and heroically sacrifices itself to save humanity and THAT MADE THE MOVIE MORE ENTERTAINING. Isn't that scene just fucking INCREDIBLE? It's not great because of the effects. It's because the T800 has gone full circle - from a soulless machine to a true hero. I could go on and on about how most of the characters changed over the movie but you get the idea.

There is NO comparable scene or character arc in Avatar. The only character who even changes is Jake and there's no real moral dilemma. He makes the obvious choices and never doubts himself or his cause.

Sooo it's okay to criticize a movie's storytelling because it's even more important than the fight choreography or CGI effects - a great story makes a kickass movie. 

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 08:29:31 AM »

Aaarrgh. STORY MATTERS. When you say something like the above, you are also in effect saying that every single song in your favorite genre (rock for example) is identical and Jimi Hendrix is no different than the average high school garage band. You are denying the possibility that some works of pop culture/art have a better structure than others - because you want to put them all in the same amorphous blob that is popular culture. Nothing is good, nothing is bad. Everything is to be judged on the content of its viscera - its explosions, body count, tits and asses, catchphrases, blood and gore and special effects.   

CRITICISM MATTERS. Not the generic "THIS FUKKEN RULES/THIS FUKKEN SUCKS" shit you see on the Internet but a more detailed critique of a film's strengths and weaknesses. Ebert is a pretty good writer actually and while I don't always agree with him, he's a good critic.

So it's not the same story every time. Great storytelling creates unique and satisfying variations on a common theme - it seems similar but it has a 'one of a kind' feel to it that lesser works fail to capture. The original Star Wars trilogy was not the same story done over 100 times - it was a unique fusion of Akira Kurosawa films, the best Westerns and many other things. It was something the world had never seen before and that is why it is so important to this day.

Let's look at two movies: Terminator 2 and Avatar - both are sci fi action flicks directed by James Cameron and noted for their high tech special effects.

Terminator 2 has a great story and structure - Avatar has a bad story and structure. I don't want to get into every little detail but here are a few reasons why:

THEME: Terminator 2 has several important themes interwoven with the plot: Fate (can we change our fate?), the nature of humanity, The danger of technology/progress and our inherent warlike nature. For example the theme of humanity is shown throughout by not only the T-800's actions and his education by John Connor but through Sarah Connor's decision not to kill the engineer responsible for Skynet - this is a moral gray area. Is right to kill someone for something they haven't even thought of doing yet? How do you know it's right? These themes are shown through good storytelling and do not distract from the overall story - they enhance it.

In Avatar the themes are very simple (nature good, exploitation bad) even the nature of humanity theme. Jake Sully is a human but decides to become a Navi by the end of the movie. There is no moral ambiguity, confusion or even hesitation over falling in love with an alien and siding with them or even permanently transferring into his alien body. This is lazy storytelling because it doesn't cause us to question our own values or raise tension in the movie. Don't you think the movie would have been better if it had addressed how much of a leap it was to side with an alien species or if Jake was losing his humanity at all?

CHARACTERIZATION: Look at the character arcs of Sarah and the T800 in T2. Both start out as rather cold, hardened warriors in their own way but become wiser through the course of the movie. Sarah decides to spare the engineer's life because he has a family and as a mother she realizes the value of human life. The T800 learns why people cry and heroically sacrifices itself to save humanity and THAT MADE THE MOVIE MORE ENTERTAINING. Isn't that scene just fucking INCREDIBLE? It's not great because of the effects. It's because the T800 has gone full circle - from a soulless machine to a true hero. I could go on and on about how most of the characters changed over the movie but you get the idea.

There is NO comparable scene or character arc in Avatar. The only character who even changes is Jake and there's no real moral dilemma. He makes the obvious choices and never doubts himself or his cause.

Sooo it's okay to criticize a movie's storytelling because it's even more important than the fight choreography or CGI effects - a great story makes a kickass movie. 

I'm not saying that criticism, is by any means bad, I just don't get whats the point of pointing out that its the same old movie warmed over again. Anyone that saw it can say that, unless they don't see movies often, and I fully agree that T2 had the more developed characters. Jake did question what he was doing but your right if you blinked you would have missed it, right after he got done "becoming a man" while laying in the tube he said, "Oh shit what am I doing." pretty blunt way of questioning him self but he still did it, and that's the only time he did. So it is much weaker in the plot areas, and I'm not trying to compare it to the greatest film ever made, or even a really good one like T2. I just don't get why the nature of the internet is to go on there and point out the simplest part of hey its the same story done over again.

I have to disagree with your Music comparison, there are plenty of bands out there that have a very distinct sound to them, even in the day of modern rock its pretty easy to here the difference between 2 bands that are of the same rock genre. Now in the world of rap, I have a harder time telling the difference at points, but I also don't like modern rap. Wu-tang Clan FTW!

But with a movie such as Avatar that has the plot line of Nature good, explosions bad, they played the movie out well. I cant say the movie had a weak plot, its not the strongest plot but to say its a weak plot, I don't feel gives it a fair enough opinion and to just compare it to one of James Camron's best movie isn't fair either. Its been what 18 years since that time, he i sent going to go off and make a movie with shit plot in it, he made a movie based around a new experience on a untamed planet.

Again I know that critiquing a movie is all opinion based, and were all going to have different opinions, and maybe I'm just taking the view of the typical American movie goer. I don't typically go into a movie expecting to see ground braking plot, I go in to enjoy something that is visually appealing, maybe its wrong to see a movie based on just that. As for my opinion on Avatar, I enjoyed it, Plot was good, visuals were great, over all a very enjoyable movie.

I watched it in 3d last night, Honestly I think seeing the movie a 2nd time did not help any. It really didn't change any, and we were sitting to far back on a smaller screen so the Visuals were about the same as it was in normal vision. Seeing all of the corners of the screen on a 3d movie hurts the Visual effects of it. Your right story matters, but to say its story was not there or done 100 times before, is just not fair for a movie that was enjoyable. If you didn't like the movie fair enough, but whats the point of going to a movie like that then? You should know that most movies these days are going to fall into that category of its been done before.

Just like the transformers, I didn't understand why people were harping on it so hard, Sure the plot line was weaker then the first one, but It was still an enjoyable movie. My favorite part of that movie to make fun of is the fact that the power of love saved Optimums Prime at the end, talk about cheese. Kids loved it, parents that took there kids to see it enjoyed it, the hard core movie fans or hard core transformers fans hated it. Why? Because they can simple as that. That of course is my opinion. haha!

Murph

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 12:49:21 PM »
The problem isn't that the Avatar plot has been done before.  Its that its been done quite a bit, and the Avatar retelling of that plot adds very little to the theme.  As Ross said, the good guys are good, the bad guys are bad, and everyone is sure in their beliefs, and everyone behaves predictably.  10 minutes in, I knew exactly how the rest of the movie would play out and because of that, I felt disappointed.

I don't go to see a ground breaking plot all the time, but I do expect the movie to bring something new to the table, the reason why I would see that movie over some other movie.  Avatar brought some very pretty and realistic visual effects.  However, I didn't feel that was enough of a variance from past movies.

As for exploring themes, it really didn't.  It hamfisted a message of NATURE GOOD CORPORATIONS BAD, with really nothing to think about.  Everything the corporation did was bad.  Everything the natives did was good.  Maybe if the "UNOBTAINIUM" was being used to cure cancer, or stop some super evil being from attacking earth,  or if the natives had slaves, or mind dominated the humans the captured,  we'd have some moral ambiguity.

As for why can't we just set the bar at enjoyable, its bad to keep your expectations low.  Maybe my expectations were set a little too high for Avatar, but I don't believe it was billed as just a "kids movie" or an action packed slugfest.  For example, I enjoyed "Shoot em Up", because it was a movie whose expectations were "hey we're not going to worry about plot and stuff, he's a dude being bad ass for an hour and a half".  No attempt at a moral, minimal character development, but an enjoyable movie.   

To provide a counter example, a movie with a similar theme (exploitation bad, nature good) that I enjoyed was "Men Who Stare at Goats".  The movie had good character development, and interesting plotline, and the moral was subtle and made you think.

In summary, all this bullshit comes down to - Avatar was an ok movie.  I wouldn't reccommend seeing it, because the plot was pretty basic and predictable, and you too will probably find yourself bored about 30 minutes.  It did have really good looking visual effects, so if that is what your into, have at it.

codered

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Don't Hate!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 01:22:30 PM »
I watch movies to be entertained. I read books to pick them apart yes I tend to pick movies apart also but I don't do it to the point of destroying the movie. but to each their own.

But you want a movie to hate watch Hell boy 2
Want a good movie watch Sherlock Holmes
and the best James Cameron movie was Titanic

Now let the flaming begin
Kenders Rock

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 01:55:53 PM »
I watch movies to be entertained. I read books to pick them apart yes I tend to pick movies apart also but I don't do it to the point of destroying the movie. but to each their own.

Terminator 2 is vastly superior to Titanic.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 06:24:26 PM »

Terminator 2 is vastly superior to Titanic.
/signed.

so how was the sherlock holms? I did not relise it was out yet, i only saw 1 preview of it.