Author Topic: Iron Heroes  (Read 5696 times)

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Iron Heroes
« on: January 16, 2010, 07:54:18 PM »
I've had the Iron Heroes rulebook forever but I've never actually ran anything with it. I was thinking about starting a New World based campaign with the Iron Heroes rules. However, the New World campaign is heavily influenced by magic and because all the classes in Iron Heroes are designed to be in a low magic/no magic setting I wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Heroes
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 08:19:13 PM »
If I were in your position, I would probably try to take the primer and ideas and history of colonizing the United States and work more aspects from history in since that would be lacking in magic.  I'm not familiar with the Iron Heroes rules, so I can't really offer a lot of mechanical advice, but another idea is perhaps making the "new world" much more hostile with more monsters and harsher conditions thereby extending the phase in which the characters fight to gain a foothold...

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 09:18:38 PM »
There's still magic in Iron Heroes, but it's like Conan - magic is for monsters and NPC wizards who scare the shit out of you even if they're allies.

It would take very little work to do a new world iron heroes game. There's actually nothing in either new world supplement that would be changed by the Iron Heroes rules. The colony is based on slave and peasant labor - all powerful spellcasters are NPCs who are behind the scenes types and the goblin hulk still works - just make it even more dangerous and corrupt.

The colonists don't rely on magic.
The grippli don't rely on magic.
The natives use magic but they can get by without a lot of it.

Read Conan stories like Red Nails and go from there.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 04:24:33 PM »
There's still magic in Iron Heroes, but it's like Conan - magic is for monsters and NPC wizards who scare the shit out of you even if they're allies.

It would take very little work to do a new world iron heroes game. There's actually nothing in either new world supplement that would be changed by the Iron Heroes rules. The colony is based on slave and peasant labor - all powerful spellcasters are NPCs who are behind the scenes types and the goblin hulk still works - just make it even more dangerous and corrupt.

The colonists don't rely on magic.
The grippli don't rely on magic.
The natives use magic but they can get by without a lot of it.

Read Conan stories like Red Nails and go from there.

Thanks Ross.