Author Topic: Gobo Hulk playthrough  (Read 11081 times)

beej

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Gobo Hulk playthrough
« on: January 10, 2010, 10:32:42 PM »

So I ran my New World campaign group through a side quest on the Goblin Hulk and they loved it.   I started with the lvl 6 encouter of bribing their way out of the prison.   After that they had return to the Hulk to find their missing friend who had been kidnapped with them but had not been put in the prison.   The group ran jobs for Bel the Fat to build up a cover as being mercs.   The missions turned out more challanging and hilarious that I had ever planned.   

One mission they had to go back into the prison to find a corpse of a Goblin that had swallowed a very valiable item.  Between fighting zombies and digging through goblin corpses they were dying to get of the prison...again.   However there was a hitch, right when they reached the prison door, they were charged by two bugbear zombies.  They ended up fighting with their backs to the prison door bars and the goblins on the other side started taking bets on who would win.   Then on the spur of the moment I had a goblin backstab one of the players through the bars.  This triggered a riot between the goblins who had been betting and with in a few turns everyone nearby was swept up in it.  Someone who had bet on the players let them out (after the zombies were re-deaded...) and the players had to wade through a 20 goblin riot...and then kill the Kuo-toa Maruader prison guard commander.   

A second mission they had to break into one of the Prison Vaults for Bel and retreive some goods he wanted from it.   The group came up with a very complex super spy type approach of stealth and avoiding patrols and any witnesses.  However halfway through the plan, the players remembered "Wait..this is the Hulk....no one cares about dead goblins here!" and then just starting murdering anyone who got in their way to the vault.  Of course things went south at the vault.  They had to collapse the only stairwell that lead to the vault to avoid being over run by goblin patrols.  They then bashed their way through the floor, dropped down a floor into the Prison, avoided a horde of zombies and bribed their way past the gate guards....again. 

The last encouter of the session they had to make their way through the Crew Decks.   The had to walk down a very long, narrow corridor to get off the deck.   However the deck was a cross between the corridors of Das Boot and tiered like a jail house block, so there there rooms everywhere and walkways and gantries criss-crossing in a mind boggling maze.   With goblins walking everywhere and the general state of the deck, everying was considered hazaderous terrain to non goblins.   They ended up having a running fire fight with snipers in the upper tiers, fight off random thugs/rogues popping out of rooms and trying to avoid getting hit with alchemic bombs and moltov cocktails being thrown down at them.   

Of course I looped the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack through the entire rsession.   They really loved the wild, choatic feel of the environment of the Hulk, the often cramped and dank maps and the freedom of choice that one doesn't have in say the colony when executing plans.   They haven't finished the quest in the Hulk but they loved it so much I felt I had to post how much fun you can make from Ross's module.

"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
Re: Gobo Hulk playthrough
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 10:58:07 PM »
I felt I had to post how much fun you can make from Ross's module.

I had to read this like 3 times before I realized it didn't say "how much you can make fun of Ross's module."  Don't know why I saw that...

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 04:16:45 PM »
that is the most amazing review/feedback I've gotten so far on either New World PDF.

malyss

• Gimme some sugar baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 12:16:06 PM »
That sounded like a ton of fun.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 12:29:34 AM »
A second mission they had to break into one of the Prison Vaults for Bel and retreive some goods he wanted from it.   The group came up with a very complex super spy type approach of stealth and avoiding patrols and any witnesses.  However halfway through the plan, the players remembered "Wait..this is the Hulk....no one cares about dead goblins here!" and then just starting murdering anyone who got in their way to the vault

this is the single best part I think

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 12:34:02 AM »
If you cared, I plan on using this in my campaign at some point, and am seriously considering introducing it at a point where almost the entirety, or the entirety of those on board are undead (as in the goblins and whatnot)...

beej

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 12:36:10 PM »
I'm glad you liked what I did with your baby Ross.

I would have loved to do an actual play of it but my friends aren't as funny as the RPPR guys.     Interesting fact, if you make you goblins a mix of italian gangsters and pirates, it's pretty freaken funny.   

The big climax I'm planning on is having the two rogues have a crazy 'At World's End' type duel with a weaker version of the Albino Grippili high up in the rigging.   Acrobatics checks to move every round, the ability to cut rigging to unbalance your enemy for combat advantage and lots of throwing knives.
"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 12:20:47 AM »
I did a quick search and couldn't find anything but this, so I wanted to ask to be sure.  Is this something you came up with on your own Ross?  Because the more I've read of it, the more I like it and I think it fits the character of goblins beautifully.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 12:26:23 AM »
I did a quick search and couldn't find anything but this, so I wanted to ask to be sure.  Is this something you came up with on your own Ross?  Because the more I've read of it, the more I like it and I think it fits the character of goblins beautifully.

Yeah. I do admit I was inspired by space hulks in warhammer 40k, http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Space_hulk but that's the only direct influence. I know of the novel the Scar by China Melville but I haven't read it yet.

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 12:39:32 AM »
Ah, is that what "Space hulk" meant? Man, I hated/loved that game.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 02:15:17 AM »
There's an excellent pre-made adventure session that focuses around a Space Hulk in Dark Heresy, part of the Purge the Unclean package.

Christy

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 09:58:58 PM »
I used this as a guide for my first ever GM experience (a delve) last Friday night.  The setting was not the Hulk itself but Hogwarts and the players were a team of 8th level American wizards, sorcerers, invokers, etc sent in because British magic wasn't cutting it with the craziness in the castle.  Highlights included grilling the Slytherin students who'd created the Junked Man and then weren't able to control it and a PC getting turned into a zombie under the control of the Shoggothic Garden.  I let the player control the zombie his character had become and was amazed how quickly and with what glee he turned on his former allies...

Thanks for the awesome pdf guys, the group is excited for a second chapter of this adventure. 

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 02:10:20 PM »
I used this as a guide for my first ever GM experience (a delve) last Friday night.  The setting was not the Hulk itself but Hogwarts and the players were a team of 8th level American wizards, sorcerers, invokers, etc sent in because British magic wasn't cutting it with the craziness in the castle.  Highlights included grilling the Slytherin students who'd created the Junked Man and then weren't able to control it and a PC getting turned into a zombie under the control of the Shoggothic Garden.  I let the player control the zombie his character had become and was amazed how quickly and with what glee he turned on his former allies...

Thanks for the awesome pdf guys, the group is excited for a second chapter of this adventure. 

I like this because I never would have thought of using the hulk in other settings. Good job.