General Category > RPGs

Anecdote Megathread

<< < (50/66) > >>

clockworkjoe:
hahaha, it's good for a GM to keep secrets, but sometimes you can play things too close to the chest.

Henry Hankovitch:
I just ran a reverse-engineered version of "Lover in the Ice" for a Skype game.  I love the scenario and have wanted to run it for a while (though I was too po' broke to buy into the Kickstarter, more's the pity). 

Anyway, after the characters took out Skip and encountered the first monster in the college-students' house, they decided that what they should do was shut down the power grid for the rest of the town to freeze out any other creatures.

Welp.

They call a power-company engineer in the middle of the night and get him to come down to the station for some kind of emergency, then try to force him at gunpoint to help them shut down all the power.  (I didn't think shutting down a city-wide power grid should be a matter of hacking the gibson from the admin-building computers; any power-company employees out there can correct me if I'm wrong.)  I make a couple sanity/willpower type rolls for the engineer guy, and he basically drives the PC past a police station at night, tucks and rolls out of the truck, and runs for the station yelling for help.  PC tackles and shoots the engineer, then calls up the other PC and shoots himself as policemen start coming out of the station.

The other PC goes back to the HOMEPLATE computer, and informs A-cell that uncontrolled vectors are out there and everything is fucked.  He then grabs a truck and tries to get out of town before Lafontaine blows up, presumably to live out his life in an off-the-grid cabin somewhere.

An interesting case of players sticking to player-logic to the bitter end.  I had only two players, though, and both of them were new to Call of Cthulhu.

Edit:  when the PCs came out of Skip's house, I had Roslin step out of the truck and say "what's going on?"   Because they'd gunned him down in the back yard and set the place on fire--which I'm pretty sure is the only way anyone will ever play that encounter.  So the PCs then shot HER.  Those monsters.

I blame it on the fact that I'm not as good at playing adorably-sassy black women as Caleb.

Cthuluzord:
Holy shit! Did Aaron split himself in two via some form of mitosis, and did you play with both of him? It sounds like it.

Tadanori Oyama:
Wow. The things that players get into their heads...

Jacko:

--- Quote from: Henry Hankovitch on September 03, 2012, 08:17:08 PM ---I didn't think shutting down a city-wide power grid should be a matter of hacking the gibson from the admin-building computers; any power-company employees out there can correct me if I'm wrong.

--- End quote ---

Hi, I work for a power company!  In fact, I monitor the computer and radio networks used by most of the company.

You're kind of correct.  Turning off the grid from an admin-building that isn't onsite can't actually happen.  The reason I said 'most of the company' is because there are completely separate networks used for actually running each individual plant. 

If the players were actually at the plant, they could feasibly do something but there's personnel on site 24/7 (especially during a natural disaster like a raging blizzard) so you're going to have a lot of witnesses to deal with and circumventing all the redundancies would take quite a bit of time and involve handling some very high-voltage equipment.  'Operate Heavy Machinery' anyone?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version