Author Topic: Anecdote Megathread  (Read 345700 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Anecdote Megathread
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2010, 03:11:43 PM »
That is a pretty epic clusterfuck.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2010, 10:27:05 PM »
A couple good moments from the Savage Worlds session I played today, essentially we are playing a postapocalyptic game based on Fallout 3.  The characters themselves are pretty interesting:
  • A 17-19ish year old guy who is trying to emulate MacGyver and is quickly becoming a packrat (gathers everything that "could be useful") (I play this character)
  • A somewhat crazy preacher "Father James William" who wields a double barreled shotgun
  • An Amish character who is very good at driving, but forsakes technology and fights with his fists
  • A sniper who has to make headshots (and only headshots)
  • A sharpshooter who dual-wields Desert Eagles and has metal teeth (like Jaws from James Bond)
  • A somewhat musclebound character whose delusion is that he is in a videogame (specifically Super Smash Bros.)

Essentially, the greatest parts of the session where:

We were about to enter a building that was clearly haunted and the Amish character took a moment to ask Father James William to bless some water which he would then dip his hands in to cleanse them.  The player playing Father James holds up his hands as if holding a shotgun pointed in the air, pantomimes pumping it (complete with sounds), and says, "Consider yourself blessed."  (Not quite as great without the voice he used, but it stopped the game for about a minute as we broke out laughing at such a crazy statement).

My character modified an energy shield in order to put a forcefield on the trashy car we found that we have been slowly fixing up and modifying (currently it is crammed full with all of the stuff I've found, and has a turret mounted on top, the two energy turrets we pulled off of a downed helicopter, and the various bits of armor plating we have scavenged).

We had a chance to modify our characters as we were entering a new section, and in order to explain this, the muscleman was killed and resurrected as a zombie.  Because we had just essentially seen hell rise up before us (it's a little weird yeah), the GM wanted to make sure that we knew the characters resurrection was from good (it used up a point of Karma I had recently earned).  So an angel comes down and pulls the character up and back to life.  The first thing the character (whose delusion was being in videogames) says, "I told you guys I had three lives.  Oh hey, Pit."

TigerStorm

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Cardio! Cardio! Cardio!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2010, 11:35:54 PM »
So, while listening to the last podcast and hearing Ross, Tom, Cody, and Aaron talk about their first time GM'ing, it got me to thinking... I'm sure a lot of people have interesting stories about their first experience as a GM.

Anyone want to share?

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2010, 11:51:26 PM »
I've said before that I'm not a very good GM.

This goes back to high school, so we're talking eighteen to twenty years ago.  We're playing 2nd edition AD&D, and I'd chosen a desert/jungle/tropical islands kind of setting.  I started the party off at 5th level, because I wanted the casters to have a small arsenal, rather than just the one magic missile or cure light wounds spell.  Anyhow.  I gave them almost everything they asked for, gear-wise: magic weapons, armor, cool stuff like that.
And then, during the third encounter (the second planned encounter, but I gave them a random one for the hell of it), they fought a priestess of a decay god and some of her minions.  She had a spell called Rend (actually I think it was a wand) and I broke all their stuff with it.
And the party cleric had hurled some sacrilegious insult at her, so after she broke his armor, she used the wand again to disintegrate his clothing.
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

Mckma

• Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2010, 12:54:58 AM »
I feel a bit ashamed to admit this, but my first time GMing I had a deus ex machina in the form of 30th level dwarf Fighter/Dwarven Defender leap off of the mounts they were flying on to take down a dragon that attacked the party...

In retro-retrospect I have decided it may not have been so bad since it was planned and should have been right at the beginning and the only reason I had the dwarf was because I wanted to make a 30th level character...

But still, I think that was one of the factors that lead us to stop playing that campaign (I think we ran three sessions before we got bored).  On the bright side, I was GMing for a new player who really enjoyed it because he was obsessed with the spiked chain he picked, and kept rolling really well.

I also need to send an e-mail with a condensed version of my CoC anecdote should the podcast overlords decide they might use it...

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2010, 02:41:43 PM »
My first time GMing was while I was in high school and it was with mostly new players. I'd played a character in Dungeons and Dragons for three sessions, my first time playing, and that group basically fell apart.

So, I went out and bought some pre-made adventures, Forge of Fury and Speaker in Dreams if anybody remembers them, and started my own group. I got my two younger brothers and two younger friends so we had a mix of junior high and high school players. Only one player had played 3rd Edition before and he'd been in the first group along with me.

We started out well with the players all playing good characters except the rogue who was 'chaotic neutral'. Pre-made held together well and we got through three sessions with only one really tense player vs GM moment involving 3d6 Constitution damage from yellow mold.

Characters had developement but the central plot was very loose. The players always jumped for the plot hooks and did as I asked without me having to force them into anything. We changed out players as people came or went but the game somehow maintained a focus and the players who came to each session where fairly into the game world.

My youngest brother, who played from the first game all the way to the end, the only player do so, and to this day remembers it as the best campaign ever.

So, over all, a very positive first time DMing.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2010, 06:12:55 PM »
After discovering the amazingness that is RPPR I started listening to episode 37 or so and continued

from there, after Tom's letter about how anyone who just came in now was not going to get a prize and

being verbally abused into going back and checking out the older episodes I also branched out into

the actual plays. I listened to the Divine Fire Play test 2 and I knew then I wanted to try playing a Call

of Cthulu game.

So I found some books and got the King of Chicago premade. I told everyone I game with, "I am running a

small scenario for CoC and I am only allowing 4 people to play." That sentence was met with a bunch of
"Eh" and "Ok...." One of my friends however was completely into the idea, he convinced 2 of the other

guys to play by telling them about how great Lovecraft is and that it would be a nice change of pace

from 3.5 D&D. Well I was at 3 and that was good enough for me, until my room mate wanted in and one of

the players brought their brother. I was past my target number and I was feeling a little overwhelmed

but decided not to say anything. We had a friend of mine who is a theatre actor who wanted to play

because I told him Role-playing would help his improv skills, so with a whopping 6 people we began.

It didn't take long for this epic clusterfuck to hit the fan, they made it to the end of the

adventure(without any information they needed to actually be effective) they stumbled upon the parking

lot that the evil monster lived under, so after I prayed that they would fail the search required to

find the secret tunnel I was forced to follow through with the conclusion of the adventure.

Upon entrance to the room the creature whips up a wind storm to put out the lights they are carrying.

This wind power says it does 1d20 Damage to every person within range.

All of them were within range. I read the passage carefully while they sat asking what they see.
I looked up closed the laptop I was using, grabbed my d20 out of the box and rolled. A 12 was all that

was need to kill even the beefiest among them. I rolled a 17.

Everyone sat there quiet for a while until one of the guys said, "You guys I think we premised too

hard."
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

IDaMan008

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Lucky 13!
    • View Profile
    • Rag-NERD-rok Actual Plays
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2010, 08:48:56 PM »
LOL, great story, Flawless! I wish I could have seen their faces. CoC can be a pretty difficult system to adjust to if you're used to playing an adventuring game like D&D. Like Tom, I sort of favor a more action-oriented Keeper style, so I usually allow my Investigators to find / carry around some ridiculous hardware for the purposes of killing terrible shit. I think they got too used to it, because when another friend of ours ran a CoC story that had more of a classic Lovecraftian feel to it, things ended in a TPK. I'm currently working on writing a scenario about Deep Ones infiltrating a southern prison farm, which I plan to be more of a Lovecraftian horror / mystery story that ends in a confrontation with the unspeakable, which'll hopefully throw my players for a loop.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2010, 09:00:02 PM »
That's some hella wind damage.

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2010, 09:00:17 PM »
Yeah I got the same problem with my group. Any CoC game I run has to be very pulpy. More like Indiana Jones with terrible monsters instead of Lovecraftian horrors that will kill you.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2010, 09:24:54 PM »
Bah you should have let each player roll their own damage but don't tell them what they are rolling for until all have rolled. That would have been more fun. The real acid test is if the players want to play CoC again after that. Do they?

Flawless P

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2010, 11:03:09 PM »
Bah you should have let each player roll their own damage but don't tell them what they are rolling for until all have rolled. That would have been more fun. The real acid test is if the players want to play CoC again after that. Do they?

Actually yes all 6 of them.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2010, 12:31:17 AM »
Im pretty sure if I ran a TPK CoC game my buddies would want to play it again to see if they could beat it. Prob 2 or 3 times haha!

Salrantol

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2010, 05:33:10 PM »
One of the better games I've run was an oWoD game billed as a knock-off of Buffy: the Vampire Slayer, where the PCs would be a bunch of teenagers latching on to a vampire hunting classmate.  Said vampire hunter was actually a super-hyped-up generations-bred super-ghoul used to fight rival vampires--developed by a Toreador master of the art of breeding.  The story, which eventually involved the vampirism of nearly every PC, centered around three of the PCs forming a band, which won a local battle of the bands against their rival band (one of the PCs had a flaw to that effect).  Said band then went on a tour, allowing us to explore exotic locales outside their small town.  The final destination of the tour was near their sound tech's hometown, out of which, according to the character's background, his family had been driven by the Technocracy after they were found out as Sorcerers.

So, of course, the character decides to visit his family's home, which is occupied by a team of Hyper-Intelligence Technology androids of various kinds.  I dropped lots of very-much-not-subtle hints that he probably didn't want to be here (what with his backstory indicating that everyone here wanted him dead and all), but eventually he and the band's vocalist found themselves in one of the towers (yes, his family's house had towers) where the HITMarks had put in a minigun for defense of what had become a regional headquarters of sorts.  He prodded the guard (you know, the one manning the minigun) about the fate of his beloved sister.  When he didn't like the response, he proceeded to attack the guard (you know, the one manning the minigun).  I gave him an obligatory roll and informed him he was reduced to a puddle of so much goo.  The guy who had accompanied him up asked for a retcon, offering to shove him out of the way.  He rolled exceptionally, so I allowed it.  Of course, the enraged PC proceeded to squander his opportunity to exit the premesis alive, again attacking the guard (you know, the one manning the minigun, who had just, pre-retcon, reduced him to so much goo), and again being liquified.

At the next concert, the band had their best performance ever with their new song "Uriel's Dirge," Uriel being the surname of their very dead sound tech.

IDaMan008

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Lucky 13!
    • View Profile
    • Rag-NERD-rok Actual Plays
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2010, 02:53:24 AM »
I'm feeling a bit nostalgic tonight, so I figured I'd share this little tale from my early days of GMing. I'd been running games successfully for about a year at the time this story went down, but so far, none of them had lived up to the expectations I'd had for them when I planned them out. It was early 2001, and I had started an oWoD Mage chronicle that revolved around the establishment of the Virtual Adepts as part of the Council of Nine in the early 1960s. Most of the characters were playing renegade Difference Engineers who took to the roads to avoid being killed in the Technocracy pogrom while their application for admittance was stymied in the byzantine machinations of Council politics. I managed to cook up some pretty interesting encounters with the Men in Black, but the story didn't really hit its stride until I decided to bring a new big bad onto the scene: a twisted Nephandic cult leader and time mage bent on summoning his demonic master to Earth. The session in which I introduced him has always stuck out in my mind as the first game in that cycle that really worked, the point where the story crested the first hill and became a roller-coaster ride, and it will always be one of my favorite games that I've ever run.

Part of this was due to the details that I put into the planning. The villain was based off of a serial murderer from the 19th century, Dr. H. H. Holmes, who would lure his victims into his home and then torture them to death in various nasty ways. I spent hours mapping out my version of his mansion, a four-story maze with deadly traps and horrific scenes to be explored. I also took great care in my descriptions of his mannerisms, so that I would be able to play him as I imagined him: a charismatic charmer who could turn into a raving maniac at the drop of a hat. I also decided to warn the players in advance that they would be playing for their characters' lives, thereby waiving a tacit agreement in our group that a GM would do anything possible to avoid an unexpected character death.

Another element that largely made the game was the setting in which we played. I had recently purchased an eight-person tent to serve as a portable roleplaying arena when our parents didn't want us in the house, and we would often host all-night Mage parties using it as the venue. On the night we played this game, there was a terrible thunderstorm raging around us as we played, and I narrated the entire game by the glow of a single press-light positioned at the center of the tent. It threw off a faint florescence that was barely enough to read by, but set the mood perfectly.

In any case, the most suspenseful scene came when one of the characters, a happy-go-lucky VA named Steve O'Riley, discovered the murderer's secret basement torture room. Being a small man, Steve was the only character able to crawl through the secret passageway that led through the killer's furnace, and into the hidden rooms on the other side. Everyone else in the party listened as I described the foundations made of human skulls, the trinkets made from preserved body parts, and the perverse instruments of torture that littered the room. He also discovered a man being kept alive by magick who was stapled to the wall in three places, with large metal brackets wrapped around his spine and driven into a support beam behind him. The effect of the scene was so profound that Steve's player decided that he should have post-traumatic stress disorder as a result of the experience, and completely changed his upbeat portrayal of the character.

I've run many other games since then that I would consider more successful, more dramatic, or more fun, but this was the first one that really clicked for me as a GM. It was an awesome feeling to run that game, one that I'll never forget.