Author Topic: Gamming Recommendation  (Read 6414 times)

KallMeKip

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Gamming Recommendation
« on: January 20, 2010, 03:22:36 PM »
So for the past year During our 1 hour lunch breaks My friends and I (me?) get some gamming in. We are getting Bored of 3.5 and you can't do Coc in the environment. We play in. Any good rpgs that can be played in 45 minute segments and don’t need a serious environment.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Gamming Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 03:33:40 PM »
All Flesh Must Be Eaten - you can do an episodic zombie survival game - make each scenario a quick mission - get gas for the car, find supplies to board up the house - etc.

Arena matches in a rules lite system or maybe a D&D variant - OSRIC pit fights, 3.5 grudge matches etc.

Recreate scenes from famous movies - police station gun fight from Terminator, Tea house fight from Hardboiled, car chase from the French Connection etc.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 04:18:05 PM »
So for the past year During our 1 hour lunch breaks My friends and I (me?) get some gamming in. We are getting Bored of 3.5 and you can't do Coc in the environment. We play in. Any good rpgs that can be played in 45 minute segments and don’t need a serious environment.

There's all those free games like Wushu. I think they're pretty fast to play. 

Avoozel

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 12:15:58 AM »
Classroom Deathmatch can be run episodic, but by it's subject matter doesn't promote long term growth of characters (though a Lost style deathmatch could be interesting).

Toon is pretty fun and fast paced, but if you don't want people staring at you for laughing like maniacs, might not be a good choice.

I second All Flesh Must Be Eaten, even though I am not a huge fan of the rolling mechanics, it's fun and allows for some fast paced cinematic stuff.

If you just want to get a game of something in, and don't mind expanding beyond RPGs, the card game Dominion is quite nice, though you might find it difficult to get the first couple games done in 45 minutes.

Avoid GURPS.   I love that system to death, but 45 minutes is not enough time. 

IDaMan008

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Lucky 13!
    • View Profile
    • Rag-NERD-rok Actual Plays
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 05:14:16 AM »
If you just want to get a game of something in, and don't mind expanding beyond RPGs, the card game Dominion is quite nice, though you might find it difficult to get the first couple games done in 45 minutes.

Dominion is a bit expensive, isn't it? I think the core cards alone cost almost $50, and the expansions are just as pricey. It is a really fun game, but only if you've got someone who's willing to invest some cash in it. Also, if you've got the expansion sets, hunting down the right cards for setup can be kind of a chore. 45 minutes might be cutting it a bit close.

If you're looking for other fun card games, I highly recommend Bohnanza (see here for more details: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/11/bohnanza). It's a quick, not as expensive, and easy to learn. It's essentially about bean farming, but don't describe it that way to your friends or no one will want to play.

As far as RPGs go, the only suggestion I have to offer is to give Mutants and Masterminds a look see. I haven't run or played it as of yet, but it looks like a pretty streamlined system that can allow you to get things done quickly, especially combat heavy scenarios. Maybe try an episodic 4-color style game that's heavy on the fisticuffs? Beating the crap out of some bad guys does sound like a pretty interesting way to spend a lunch break.

TigerStorm

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Cardio! Cardio! Cardio!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 03:12:24 PM »
As far as RPGs go, the only suggestion I have to offer is to give Mutants and Masterminds a look see. I haven't run or played it as of yet, but it looks like a pretty streamlined system that can allow you to get things done quickly, especially combat heavy scenarios. Maybe try an episodic 4-color style game that's heavy on the fisticuffs? Beating the crap out of some bad guys does sound like a pretty interesting way to spend a lunch break.

I agree with the MnM idea. It can be as simple or complex as you want. A short session can easily be done by thwarting a robbery. Or, if you want, you can make it a bit more. "Layers upon layers" if you will. Either way, it's pretty streamlined as all you need is a 1d20 to play.

pwvogt

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
    • The Hopeless Gamer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 06:10:37 PM »
I've been on a Savage Worlds kick lately, and would recommend it for its ability to run combat very quickly. In addition, anything that uses the One Roll Engine (thinking Wild Talents specifically here for Supers action) has quick and fun game play as well.
The Hopeless Gamer Blog! http://thehopelessgamer.blogspot.com/ - Come check it out!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Paul_Vogt

Staff Writer for Eye of the Vortex - gaming magazine at the center of all things nerdy/interesting! http://www.eyeofthevortexonline.com/