Author Topic: Play by post question  (Read 4879 times)

KallMeKip

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Play by post question
« on: February 02, 2010, 02:53:14 PM »
So one of my groups wants to go from Coc to 4th ed dnd For our play by post games. I fell that The combat would be hard to do on a play by post. I Was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to make it easier? or should I just tell them no and stick with coc?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Play by post question
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 03:04:33 PM »
Like I tell people in real life: roll everything at once.
Roll attack and damage at the same time, it cuts rolling in half.

Luckily in 4E you don't have to ask players for saving throws on an enemy's turn, their defenses are static.

Also, play it no take backs style. You forgot to roll your saving throw? Too bad, you wait til next round.

Resolve Op attacks ahead of time. If the Fighter has somebody marked and there's a good chance that the mark will provoke an attack, have the Fighter roll an extra attack/damage roll at the end of his post. He doesn't need it? No harm. He does, you don't have to waste time waiting for him to post.

Each player's post should be their whole turn:
Start Turn.
Start with effects and ongoing damage.
Standard, Move, Minor, add Fluff as needed.
Roll saving throws.
End Turn.

Do not let your players break up their actions on a given turn between multipule posts. Make them ask all questions before they declare actions and then they must put all their actions in a single post. If they ready an action, they should roll it in the post where they ready it to save time for later (again, if their ready doesn't trigger, no harm done).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:08:34 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 06:10:54 PM »
yeah tad covered as much as I could think of. maybe try to have the group focus more on talking there way out of stuff like the new world crew does so your not combat locked. good luck.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 09:24:28 PM »
Honestly, 4th Ed relies so much on the grid that I think that playing it with play by post would take the fun and/or strategy out of combat.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 09:52:57 PM »
Honestly, 4th Ed relies so much on the grid that I think that playing it with play by post would take the fun and/or strategy out of combat.

I was thinking about this, depending on how exactly you "play by post" (i.e. if it's more IM than forum posting), you can use something like Maptool or other programs...