Author Topic: Random Podcast Question(s)  (Read 9734 times)

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
Random Podcast Question(s)
« on: January 22, 2010, 12:25:32 AM »
So I was wondering about something and I figured if anyone else had anything, it could go here too.

You have mentioned several times in the podcast (often comically) the "layers upon layers."  Is this a specific reference to something, or just a catchy phrase that has come up and stuck with you?

Like I said, random question, really doesn't matter, but something I was curious about nonetheless...

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Random Podcast Question(s)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 12:47:03 AM »
To be honest, I can't remember where I first heard that phrase - I often think of it in connection with "it's a rich tapestry" - I think I read in an article blasting bad reviews of art - and by bad I mean that they are poorly written and show that the reviewer is ignorant of art.

To me - those are such bullshit empty phrases so I use them ironically - if you read a review that includes either of those phrases, you know it is a worthless review. It's often used by people trying to review art movies they clearly don't understand so they fall back on "layers upon layers" - for example, if you don't understand the final scene of Bergman's Seventh Seal, you would just say it has layers upon layers in order to somehow get across it's complex without having to reveal you don't understand a goddamn thing about it.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 12:54:31 AM »
I like to think your secreatly an oger, and everyone knows there like onions, layers upon layers.

Mckma

• Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 01:21:18 AM »
To be honest, I can't remember where I first heard that phrase - I often think of it in connection with "it's a rich tapestry" - I think I read in an article blasting bad reviews of art - and by bad I mean that they are poorly written and show that the reviewer is ignorant of art.

I figured it was pretty much something like this, but didn't know for sure...

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 01:28:40 AM »

I figured it was pretty much something like this, but didn't know for sure...

well you are now driving me insane because I think I got it from a specific piece of writing but I can't remember what it was for the life of me and W̌̅ͪ̓̔̒̂͊ͮͥ́̀ͮ̓ͦ̚͏̛̘̝̝̠̣̩͇̩̺̦̮̭̼ͅH̴̭̥͓̤̭̺͍͙̲͉̆̅̄̎ͯ̓ͤͨ̒ͫ̓̌ͅY̴̴̛̮͇̬̤̰̜̳͍̹̤̤͓̌̏̈̇͌̒͗ͤͭͨ́͞ ̴̢͍͈͈̠̫̯͉̖̙͉̟͕̼͍͓̓̀ͫ͛̊̏̈́͊̿̓̏̕͜ͅC̴̩̠̗̰̋ͫ̏ͬ̽̀̊̉ͮ̏̿̔̊̌͡Å̷͆͋̀̀̆̌͊͋̅̈̋͆̍ͤ̆̒̚͜҉̧͈̜̺̯̦N̶̛̘̙̥̘̙͒̔̐͂̔̽̀ͅ'̴̛̿͑ͥͮ͊̂̾͑̓ͣ̐̄ͭͧ̚͏̝͇̫͖͎̗̝͉͎͘T̄̒̍ͩͨ͡͏̢̪̤̦̜͍̖̙̯̠͈͓̗̮͔̥ͅ ̢̧̭͚͎̝̪͉̻͕̦̞͓̘̬̙͍͕̑̊͒̅͆̈ͩ̀͜I̷̩͓̰͉̤͖̹̠̬̟̗̘̘̠ͤͥ̃̇̔͛̾̂̎͛ͫ̈́̇̚͜ ̷̬̻̮̭̞̮̜̇͊ͪͭ͗̉̀̆̓͐ͩ̆̔͆̅̅͆̈͢R̩̰̠̦̹͇̜͓͙̭̞̘̘͔̫̍͂͗̐̑̀̔̐́͠͞ͅͅĖ̸̸̹̠͙̪̱̮͓͍̺͚̟̥͎͖̯͔́͒ͧͭ̾̊́͟͞ͅM̵̨̬͎̺̝̗̹̖̟̳̮̪̬͚̽ͨ̓̿ͭͤ́͛ͦ̏͗̚̕E̛̺̬͎̭̺͍͕̭͇͇̱̪̩͓̮͒͛ͬͤ̃̏ͨ̌̑͒̅͒̓̾̇̎̊̍́̀́͢M̸͓̼̖ͦͬ͐̓̀̀͟B̦̱͎͓̱̯͖̖͖̹͇̪̫̭̲͎̝̪̲̿͆̂̇̊ͣͩ̕͝E͖̖͓͕̟̮ͯ̓̈ͩ̍̒̃͑̔̓ͤͣ̾ͥ͜͝R̡̤̠̞̲̥̱̖͇͓̦͈̘̫͔̀̓͗ͣͩ͛ͭ̀̈͊̑ͮͤ̊͝

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 03:10:24 AM »

well you are now driving me insane because I think I got it from a specific piece of writing but I can't remember what it was for the life of me and W̌̅ͪ̓̔̒̂͊ͮͥ́̀ͮ̓ͦ̚͏̛̘̝̝̠̣̩͇̩̺̦̮̭̼ͅH̴̭̥͓̤̭̺͍͙̲͉̆̅̄̎ͯ̓ͤͨ̒ͫ̓̌ͅY̴̴̛̮͇̬̤̰̜̳͍̹̤̤͓̌̏̈̇͌̒͗ͤͭͨ́͞ ̴̢͍͈͈̠̫̯͉̖̙͉̟͕̼͍͓̓̀ͫ͛̊̏̈́͊̿̓̏̕͜ͅC̴̩̠̗̰̋ͫ̏ͬ̽̀̊̉ͮ̏̿̔̊̌͡Å̷͆͋̀̀̆̌͊͋̅̈̋͆̍ͤ̆̒̚͜҉̧͈̜̺̯̦N̶̛̘̙̥̘̙͒̔̐͂̔̽̀ͅ'̴̛̿͑ͥͮ͊̂̾͑̓ͣ̐̄ͭͧ̚͏̝͇̫͖͎̗̝͉͎͘T̄̒̍ͩͨ͡͏̢̪̤̦̜͍̖̙̯̠͈͓̗̮͔̥ͅ ̢̧̭͚͎̝̪͉̻͕̦̞͓̘̬̙͍͕̑̊͒̅͆̈ͩ̀͜I̷̩͓̰͉̤͖̹̠̬̟̗̘̘̠ͤͥ̃̇̔͛̾̂̎͛ͫ̈́̇̚͜ ̷̬̻̮̭̞̮̜̇͊ͪͭ͗̉̀̆̓͐ͩ̆̔͆̅̅͆̈͢R̩̰̠̦̹͇̜͓͙̭̞̘̘͔̫̍͂͗̐̑̀̔̐́͠͞ͅͅĖ̸̸̹̠͙̪̱̮͓͍̺͚̟̥͎͖̯͔́͒ͧͭ̾̊́͟͞ͅM̵̨̬͎̺̝̗̹̖̟̳̮̪̬͚̽ͨ̓̿ͭͤ́͛ͦ̏͗̚̕E̛̺̬͎̭̺͍͕̭͇͇̱̪̩͓̮͒͛ͬͤ̃̏ͨ̌̑͒̅͒̓̾̇̎̊̍́̀́͢M̸͓̼̖ͦͬ͐̓̀̀͟B̦̱͎͓̱̯͖̖͖̹͇̪̫̭̲͎̝̪̲̿͆̂̇̊ͣͩ̕͝E͖̖͓͕̟̮ͯ̓̈ͩ̍̒̃͑̔̓ͤͣ̾ͥ͜͝R̡̤̠̞̲̥̱̖͇͓̦͈̘̫͔̀̓͗ͣͩ͛ͭ̀̈͊̑ͮͤ̊͝

Ross, Why do i get the feeling you just wanted to find a use for the funky text?

IDaMan008

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Lucky 13!
    • View Profile
    • Rag-NERD-rok Actual Plays
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 04:14:18 AM »

Ross, Why do i get the feeling you just wanted to find a use for the funky text?

In fact, Ross has a rich tapestry of reasons for using the funky text, layers upon layers of different justifications, with a large dollop of motivation on the side.

It's all very complicated, and I don't understand it one bit.

beowuuf

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • DM.com - forums dedicated to a 25 year old PC game.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 06:07:04 AM »

Just to be ultmately sad, Joss Whedon and Nathan Fillion used the phrase too in the commentery to the TV pilot 'serentiy'. There it was 'layers upon layers of acting challenges'. So it could be a common phrase?

Shallazar

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I AM TOM!
    • View Profile
    • Never do Nothing
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 11:41:49 PM »
Its also in this video!
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>
I wish I was Tom.

Granted, you are now Tom.