Author Topic: Newbie looking to do a 1on1 pbp  (Read 43071 times)

sk8bum

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Newbie looking to do a 1on1 pbp
« on: January 21, 2010, 02:23:56 AM »
i have been listening to RPPR for a while and the games seem so fun but i cannot get people together to play. i was wondering if i could get someone who will basically hold my hand through a game so i can get experience in it. i have no big preferences about the campaign. i do like mystery and fantasy though.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Newbie looking to do a 1on1 pbp
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 04:45:18 PM »
Do you own any games? There's a game being run through Skype with the Rogue Trader system. If you have that, I suppose you could join them.

nbneil

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 10:11:20 PM »
Yeah, we're playing Friday at 9PM EST on Skype if you are interested.  The Quick Start rules can be found below.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=78&esem=4
Check out the NerdBound podcast on iTunes or at NerdBound
Follow me on Twitter @nbneil

sk8bum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 11:40:07 PM »
wow thank you for both of your help(s)? lol im just not sure i can join that and be consistent with that time on friday. again thanks

edit: i really would love to play and i may get off early but i work until 10pm est. i dont want to be the guy you wait for and he doesnt show up. let me know what you think
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 02:09:20 AM by sk8bum »

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 10:59:50 PM »
Sorry man. I didn't see your reply until now. We started around 830 est so you would have missed a ton. Look out for the next game for sure.

I could maybe do a quick play by wave thing sometime. What systems are you into?

sk8bum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 12:56:31 AM »
hey dont worry about it. i had to work over and i didnt want you guys to have to wait up for me. i havent play any rpgs yet but from all the podcasts i have heard, i like call of cthulu, rogue trader sounded fun, and dnd. i am really willing to try and genre though.

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 10:34:45 PM »
Well, I don't play Cthulhu and D&D is far too tactical for a Google Wave game.  That leaves Rogue Trader, which has quick start rules online and pregenerated characters.  It should be simple enough.  If you are interested, check out www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=78&esem=4 for the quick start rules.  I can try to run you through the sample adventure if you like.  Let me know what you think and I could send you a Wave invite if you need. 

My group learned Wild Talents over Wave and it made the live play so much easier.

sk8bum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 08:07:47 PM »
Yeah that would be awesome. Thanks for being so open to helping me. My email is sk8bum@live.com

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 08:36:30 PM »
No problem.  I know what it's like to not have folks to game with.  Trust me, the easiest way is to learn a system and run the games yourself.  People are much more willing to play when you can do the legwork on the adventures.  It will be a bit slow going since I'm buried with work right now.  I'll do my best to get you the invite and set up the initial Wave thread.  You can read through the Quick Start rules and pick a character.  I'll NPC the rest of them. 

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 04:39:04 PM »
Let me know when you are on Wave and the email addy for the account. I'll try to get things rolling.

sk8bum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 08:16:41 PM »
im really sorry but i recently had a change to my work schedule and am swamped. im sorry for all the trouble. i didnt assume this would happen.

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 10:40:06 PM »
No problem man.  Work has been crazy for me and I'm in the process of setting up a new NerdBound website, so I understand.  Just send me an email at nerdboundpodcast@gmail.com when you think you have some time.  I'll get the Wave thread started then.  No rush.

Dogfish

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 08:35:07 AM »
If you're interested in D&D there are many resources out there for you.

For the current edition wizards have this great little page to get you started. http://www.wizards.com/dnd/TryDnD.aspx
(the site is an absolute nightmare to navigate, don't get lost now)

If you'd like to play a little 3.5, the previous edition, a lot of the rules are made available free via the Open Gaming Liscence. http://www.d20srd.org/
(This site is agreed to be one of the better ones)

I believe other games have these little taster things, GURPs lite is another example of nice free stuff to get you hooked. When I started playing RPGs, honestly not too long ago, I joined a couple of play-by-post games on a forum I had joined. Luckily enough I managed to get a great GM for one of the games a dreadful one for another. This contrast made me realise one thing; learning and running a game is tough but if you do it right everyone has fun. So about a month or two after getting comfortable with the rules for 3.5 I ran a PbP game. It has been going for nearly a year now and I am glad I did it because it segwayed me into playing around a table (an entirely different experience I assure you).

I know I probably shouldn't be posting links to other websites for pure shout-out but the forum I did all this on was the one for the internet reviewer/comic/critic Spoony. His forum has a very active PbP section so if you don't find luck here you may want to try there as another option. www.thespoonyexperiment.com

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 02:12:00 PM »
Tad had also started a Monsters and Other Childish Things Candlewick Manor pbp game over on the NerdBound forum if anyone is interested.