Author Topic: Tides of Doom  (Read 5827 times)

ristarr

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
Tides of Doom
« on: January 31, 2010, 02:06:21 AM »
We just finished playing Tides of Doom and had a great time.  It was very difficult on the players and the NPC cleric ended up dying during the Sebastian fight.  That fight could easily have been a TPK with only 2 characters standing at the end ( and they were very bloodied and only had standard actions left ).  The other 2 characters were down with 1 and 2 failed death saves.  I had to let the icon escape and not try to dominate anyone.  They would not have made it through that.

In the anglerfish section, I got 1 PC in the water and attacked twice, then I had 2 more in the water once each.  Other than the mesmerizing gaze, they went in by rolling a "1" on an athletics check while navigating the bridges.  The drow rogue failed TWICE!  It was hilarious seeing their faces when the "1"s came up and fish started chomping on them.  The drow rogue also found both tripwires on the 2nd level.  The hard way...

The garbage monster hurt them pretty bad too.  After they got the red brigands warning, the got a little paranoid about it returning.

I didn't get too much into the extra info, except as background.  I did have the Red Brigand arrow the message at them and also I poisoned them at dinner.  One fun thing I did is to let them find out about Sebastian during one of the extended rests.  They went to the fishing village section and found his abandoned house.  He had built a crude altar in his bedroom and made some sort of bloody sacrifice.  I went a little overboard with some of the extra descriptions and the PCs wanted to steal a boat and look for the "secret caves" that Sebastian had been overheard talking about.  Not a boater among them!

The only problem I had was getting them to make enough corruption rolls.   I got 2 characters with the minor effects, but nothing else.

They had a lot of fun though.  Thanks for the adventure Ross!

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Tides of Doom
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 02:42:56 AM »
Haha, sounds like you had a better time than I did running it for some drunk friends at vision con last year. Lovecraft and D&D mix really well and I wanted to break out of the standard dungeon crawl template a bit with Tides of Doom. So I take it none of the PCs voluntarily went into the water to get some treasure?

ristarr

• View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 09:21:07 AM »
"Voluntarily" is probably the wrong word.  Actually, the rogue went swimming twice, once for rolling a 1 on the athletics check navigating the bridge and the 2nd time to the mesmerizing lure ( mummuring "Gold, what pretty gold", even though he had already been in once ).  It seemed the whole party had very bad Will defenses and this dungeon ate them up on that.  The rest of the PC's kept going on about the greedy drow going after the gold.  And then the dragonborn in the plate mail rolled a "1" and went in after the drow got out.  That started a good conversation on whether lizards float.  He rolled 27 on his athletics check in the water and was upset I only let him swim 1 square.  I was like "you are in the water, wearing plate mail and have a bigass fish eating you, I think I am being nice".

ristarr

• View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 10:51:44 AM »
And, of course, since the Icon of Dagiy’tha escaped, I imagine it will be making an appearance at another time.  Maybe with a more established cult organization in place...

ristarr

• View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 08:41:36 PM »
Ross, you may enjoy this.  It is the log entry of the adventure from one of the players.  He is the one that got poisoned in the Inn.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/storm-of-war/adventure-log/nightmares-greed-and-a-down-friend