Author Topic: RPPR Community AP Podcast site  (Read 689552 times)

Judson

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Re: RPPR Community AP Podcast site
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2010, 08:28:28 PM »
ok mckma and tad - i changed your roles to author and editor - see if you can post to the main community site

judson - what options do you see available?

I can make blog posts, and edit my site. I don't have any more options than that. I'm not sure whats going on...

*BTW, I've realized the logistical realities of recording a podcast, and that I won't be able to do it. Is it okay if I just maintain a blog?*
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 08:35:42 PM by Judson »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2010, 08:51:16 PM »
register on the main community site - easier if I manage all of it on one site instead of having to track everyone's blog.

Judson

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2010, 08:59:49 PM »
Okay, I've registered. I'm ready to blog!

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2010, 09:14:37 PM »
So, Ross, once this is up and running how will it work? You talked about it in the the first post but are the aps going to be be managed for quality/content through the community or by moderators or by something else?

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2010, 10:39:41 AM »
I'm guessing someone here knows the answer to this.  What exactly are laws and rules governing use of pre-published/"others' stuff" in these recordings.  I ask because I used a map I grabbed from WotC's archive on their website and have thus also used the names of the countries/areas on it for convenience's sake.  I also will be using a module from the 4E book Dungeon Delve in my first session.  Would I be able to still post the recording/do I need to specifically credit WotC?  I ask only because I know certain things like copyrighted music is a no-go generally.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 12:59:53 PM »
I don't allow copyrighted music because that would technically be pirating music.

Talking about copyrighted material is entirely different. You're not reading the entire text and posting a recording  of it, just quoting it in the context of a game. I am not a lawyer but I would bet money that game recordings of published games would fall under fair use.

So just don't quote lengthy verbatim quotes from the books (i.e. more than a page) and you'll be fine. Since no one will be see the map you're using, it's fine.

I do think it's a good idea to credit the work you're using though in the show notes.

AP episodes are great marketing for RPGs so I wouldn't worry about it. WOTC knows this too - after all they sponsored the PA/PVP D&D AP podcast.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2010, 02:42:25 AM »
So I've got a recording that needs a few tweaks before it's ready, but I wasn't sure exact specification on file size/type or if there was somewhere I could look to find out about uploading...

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2010, 03:34:06 AM »
# FTP Username: rpprupload@slangdesign.com
# Password: RPPRis#1
# FTP Server: ftp.slangdesign.com
# FTP Server Port: 21

if you upload, post the file name so others can download it and listen to it so they can check it to make sure it is appropriate.

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2010, 03:40:53 AM »
# FTP Username: rpprupload@slangdesign.com
# Password: RPPRis#1
# FTP Server: ftp.slangdesign.com
# FTP Server Port: 21

if you upload, post the file name so others can download it and listen to it so they can check it to make sure it is appropriate.

Alright, have to do some work on it (cutting out where we got food, splicing the two halves together, and the like).  Not too sure on the file transferring, but with Google and the internet by my side, I'm sure I can figure it out.  Hopefully it will be up and out sometime this weekend.  (Oh, and sidenote, it wasn't too great as it was a first session of a new campaign and very much a kick in the door, kill the monsters, grab the loot scenario for this first one)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2010, 11:06:10 AM »
FTP isn't that hard. Just take some time to look through the file locations before uploading so you don't send anything to the wrong place.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2010, 02:13:10 PM »
that account is set up to go to the right directory automatically and not let you see the other directories on slangdesign.com

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2010, 12:16:46 AM »
So you mentioned compressing, did you want it compressed before it was uploaded?  If so is there a specific way I should do it (if you just point me in a direction I can figure it out).  Also, is there a specific picture you want associated with the Community APs?

EDIT:  Also, should it be tagged in any specific way/how do you usually do it?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 12:42:02 AM by Mckma »

Mckma

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2010, 01:51:50 AM »
So, figured out how to upload, started, but it looks like it's going to take about 2 hours, so I'm not sure if I'm doing it right...

EDIT:  So I think this is because I'm sending from school, but my upload speed quickly falls off and keeps stalling.  I'm going to try and upload from a friend's house at some point, but otherwise I don't know if I'm doing something wrong (as I don't know how long it should take for about a 100mb file, or if I should compress it more somehow as I compressed it when I made the mp3 and put it in a zip file).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 11:44:50 AM by Mckma »

ristarr

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2010, 08:22:46 PM »
What about recording published modules?  I use a good bit of the Goodman Games and other non-WOTC modules in D&D and other games.  Would there be an issue with podcasting one of those?

JonHook

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2010, 08:41:24 PM »
This is such a cool idea. Good job Ross.
"Isolation on a ship like this can breed heresy in the dark unwashed corners. I won't find evidence of heresy here, will I?" - Festor Sorebol (an Imperial Psyker in Tadanori's Dark Heresy game: House of Dust & Ash)