Author Topic: Temptation  (Read 8216 times)

TigerStorm

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Cardio! Cardio! Cardio!
    • View Profile
Temptation
« on: February 01, 2010, 09:54:24 AM »
So, I'm starting up a new PbP game on rpol and just recieved my first "broken" character submission which was obviously made for exploiting numbers rather than character development. This is Min/Max at its finest with only one facet of the character developing and the rest simply left stock. I've already discussed the implications of his concept and why I don't feel the mechanics are compatible with each other (he's using technicalities to make it possible) but he has argued his point and will not submit a different character concept. Part of me just wants to deny him access to the game... however, I'm tempted to simply let him in the game for the purpose of showing him the error of his ways (he wants to bring in a VERY physically capable character so I throw mages at him that attack his will). But there's a part of me that says not to be such a jerk about it and  deny him access and just leave it at that.

So, my question is this:

1.) Be a jerk and bring him in only to destroy his character with prejudice?
    (the downside to this is that it will waste the time of the other players)

2.) Ignore him?
    (the downside to this is that it is not nearly as satisfying)

3.) Let him in and raise the bar for the challenges and encounters they all will have to face? (explaining to everyone else that it was out of necessity to challenge this nearly invincible character)
    (the downside of this is that other PC's will likely die - they will either get mad at him or me - 50/50 chance at that one)

...decisions...decisions...

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
Re: Temptation
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 12:23:56 PM »
well you know your options. the question is if you reject him you only effect him, if you accept him you effect everyone. so the question is do you wanna piss off potential good players, or one min/maxer?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 01:31:58 PM »
My first thought was to pretend to be the dude that submitted that character and try to make this really ackward. But I didn't do it.

Anyway, let him in and throw stuff he isn't expecting at him to make sure the game can stay in a sort of balance. I don't see anything wrong with min/maxing if everybody has fun so do throw in some stuff that might be beyond the other characters physically and give the dude a chance to shine.

That's where the rudder hits the road for me: how somebody reacts to getting what the asked for. If he plays the character well and doesn't make it bad for other players, than it's a good game.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 03:10:43 PM »
games are for fun

this guy isn't being fun

do not let him in your game

someone who argues over stupid bullshit on the internet will not transform into a fun person

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 03:15:14 PM »
I think my action would depend on how they act.  If he is being a jerk about it, I probably wouldn't play with him (which it sounds like he is, refusing to make any concessions).  However on the other hand if he was just curious to see how a super min-maxed character would work out, then I would probably let them play and through enough variety at them that he figured out how things went.  I would also ask others how they feel about a min-maxed character who seems pretty "broken" (of course this would probably work better in a setting where you actually know the people better, maybe)...

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 03:34:40 PM »
someone who argues over stupid bullshit on the internet will not transform into a fun person

I reviewed the post. Missed that part about him arguing to keep the current design.

Ross is right: don't let him in.

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 05:20:47 PM »
Or: Have him play his awesome guy being awesome and even play it up. I don't know what setting this is, if it's fantasy having kill dragons and behead beholders, if it's sci-fi or modern having ride raptors fighting Nixon zombie clones. Keep him separated from the rest of the group and have him do stuff that is way too awesome to be real. Then, in every post, start talking about this blinding light in the horizon that keeps expanding.

Finally, have the player walk in a house where they find his character on a bed, with high fever and being delusional. His parents are standing next to him and ask the players to pull the plug. If they don't, the dad does. The blinding light expands until the power player can't see anything and cease to be. The end.

Professional dickage.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 05:53:07 PM »
Professional dickage.

Wow, that is some weapons-grade dickage. It's not bee rape, don't get me wrong, but it's still impressive.

Maze

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 06:55:27 PM »
Wow, that is some weapons-grade dickage. It's not bee rape, don't get me wrong, but it's still impressive.

Sometimes you gotta go with subtlety.

Wooberman

• I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 07:00:07 PM »

Wow This guy is a Genius!
He's Lex Luthor times 10!!

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 07:06:49 PM »

Gaming: The hoddy where 'you watch your parents remove your feeding tube' is subtle.

Maze

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 07:26:05 PM »
Gaming: The hoddy where 'you watch your parents remove your feeding tube' is subtle.

Hahahaha

TigerStorm

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Cardio! Cardio! Cardio!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 08:38:22 PM »
games are for fun

this guy isn't being fun

do not let him in your game

Yah... the more I thought about it, the more I realized it's just not worth the potential of wrecking the experience for the other players just to screw with this one...