Author Topic: Game Fodder / Story Fodder  (Read 724129 times)

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Re: Game Fodder / Story Fodder
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2010, 01:16:26 AM »
Recent paper (2007) on dirty bombs: http://www.princeton.edu/sgs/publications/sgs/archive/15_2_Magill.pdf

Also, an interesting examination on spent fuel pools and terrorism: http://www.cfr.org/publication/8967/are_nuclear_spent_fuel_pools_secure.html

The committee judges that successful terrorist attacks on spent fuel pools, though difficult, are possible. If an attack leads to a propagating zirconium cladding fire, it could result in the release of large amounts of radioactive material. The committee concluded that attacks by knowledgeable terrorists with access to appropriate technical means are possible. The committee identified several terrorist attack scenarios that it believed could partially or completely drain a spent fuel pool and lead to zirconium cladding fires. Details are provided in the committee’s classified report. I cannot discuss the details here.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2010, 12:53:32 PM »
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2010, 01:16:57 PM »

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2010, 04:30:58 PM »
Great website of weird patents: http://totallyabsurd.com/archive.htm

Featuring the bunny syringe and the life expectancy watch.

You initially program the watch by answering a series of questions about your lifestyle such as exercise, disposition, food consumption and alcohol and tobacco use (big negatives, kids!).  Living a healthy lifestyle?  This watch has an on/off button so you can stop it temporarily while you engage in a healthy activity (e.g. taking a walk, cleaning the closet, etc.)   

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2010, 07:21:11 PM »
Steampunk computers and other things: http://www.datamancer.net/

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2010, 11:22:51 PM »
Interesting collection of anomalies and conspiracy theories that's been floating around the internet for years: http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/

Unfortunately, I don't think the site has been updated since 04 if then.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2010, 12:22:55 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen, the craziest theory on dreams since Freud, Oneiric Darwinism found in Mark Blechner's book The Dream Frontier.

I propose one more reason that we dream--to create new ideas, through partial random generation, which can then be retained if judged useful. . . . Dreams introduce random variations into psychic life and internal narratives. They produce "though mutations" Our minds can then select among these mutations and variations to produce new kinds of thought, imagination, self-awareness, and other psychic functions.

Dream interpretation as a science really begins in the late-eighteenth century with the publishing of several oneirocritics. Even though these early dream interpretation manuals were designed primarily as fortunetelling books, they represent an intersection between pre-modern beliefs of dreams being divine revelation and modern liberal epistemological structures (what we would call "science") that sought to define events as derivative of certain natural laws. By Freud's day, the divinity of dreams had been relegated to mere superstition, while the scientific explorations of dreaming had exploded.

robotkarateman

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Mulsk!
    • View Profile
    • AARG roleplaying system
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2010, 08:37:57 PM »
Never been a fan of About.com, but I thought this was fun - 10 Most Puzzling Ancient Artifacts.

Most of the items on the list have been debunked, but there's still some good fodder for Old Ones artifacts and anomalous archeological finds.

Now I really want to dig out my clay and 1-1 molding and make an ancient spaceship.

GENERALA, my free dungeon-crawling RPG, is now available! And it's free!

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2010, 07:12:03 PM »
Right wing terrorism in the US: http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/publications/terror-from-the-right

Now, someone find a study of far left wing terrorism during the same period. You know, econuts, animal rights people, etc.

robotkarateman

• Mulsk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2010, 08:49:33 PM »
A SHORT HISTORY OF ECO-TERRORISM

Your post reminded me of this article I read today, Conspiracy Theorists are the new Terrorists.

malyss

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Gimme some sugar baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2010, 01:15:49 PM »

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2010, 09:37:21 AM »

robotkarateman

• Mulsk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2010, 04:18:03 PM »
The Large Hadron Collider is down again. This time for a year or more as several support struts and shielding units are redesigned and rebuilt.

Which brings me to two things -

• Is The Large Hadron Collider Being Sabotaged from the Future? - Posted way back in 2009, when the thing had failed only three times. At this point, I'd be willing to accept that. This thing is either the biggest technological failure or the most dangerous thing ever built, possibly both.

It'd be interesting to run a campaign where the players are protecting something sciency from future saboteurs - only to find out in a Shyamalanian non-twist that the saboteurs are themselves! From the future!

• What do the LHC and Hilary Duff have in common? When either one goes down you know someone just blew a fortune.

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2010, 11:19:26 PM »

• What do the LHC and Hilary Duff have in common? When either one goes down you know someone just blew a fortune.

Both are terrible preformers and need a team of PHD's to work properly?

robotkarateman

• Mulsk!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #74 on: March 11, 2010, 12:33:50 AM »