Author Topic: Game Fodder / Story Fodder  (Read 731932 times)

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Re: Game Fodder / Story Fodder
« Reply #645 on: May 19, 2013, 05:29:07 PM »
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Wooberman

• Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #646 on: May 20, 2013, 05:49:45 AM »
Not rpg based but This might at least help the would-be writers out there. - http://karinacooper.com/rules-to-live-by-own-your-shit/

ThadExMachina

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
  • I put these words inside your brain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 22, 2013, 05:55:45 AM »
Parasitic worms that grow and live curled up inside of ants, warping their anatomy over time, until they burst out to go a matin'.

Scale that up to human-size and you've got some good monster fodder.
"You who read me, are you sure you understand my language?"
--Jorge Luis Borges

Tim

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 22, 2013, 12:13:40 PM »
Parasitic worms that grow and live curled up inside of ants, warping their anatomy over time, until they burst out to go a matin'.

More fuel to pull out when people say how good nature is. Nature is one cruel m-fer.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

bidoof

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 22, 2013, 10:16:57 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taman_Shud_Case
An unsolved murder case that involves a mysterious death, a book of poetry, a secret code, and a possible love affair.

Wooberman

• I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB

QuickreleasePersonalitY

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • if you see your self on the road, kill it
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 28, 2013, 09:02:39 PM »
pretentious i am
lest pretentious i become

Gorkamorka

• Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 02, 2013, 06:03:53 PM »
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Review Cultist

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 10, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »

http://www.deviantart.com/download/377122041/mr__wiggles_of_tweed_by_crazon-d68j189.jpg?token=69a6d04f8b2b2a65d9f07a18e3a7aa038f6e19d3&ts=1370893329

Just a little something something I'm planning on tossing at my players next game, inspired partially by the parasitic worm.

Tweed, Ontario has a very peculiar urban legend/ local monster. Though some description of the entity tends to vary, the basic form is always the same. a strangely tall, twisting human form that drags and waddles and stalks around the woods, farms, and roadsides outside of town. The first sighting was in August 21st, 1969. Multiple disappearances have also accompanied these sighting.
Liquid Water?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #655 on: June 12, 2013, 11:18:19 PM »
Liebot, what is the worst thing?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/12/us-nigeria-shipwreck-idUSBRE95B0M120130612

This. This is the worst thing.

Gorkamorka

• Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 13, 2013, 06:33:06 AM »
Gorkamorka (Fridrik)

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: June 13, 2013, 06:50:07 AM »
I see this thread has been going strong in my absence, so I'll have to up my game. Atlas Obscura may be my new favorite website:

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-grotesques-of-chapelle-de-bethlehem

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-museum-of-witchcraft-boscastle-cornwall

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: June 18, 2013, 07:28:07 AM »
Carbon fiber elevator ropes may make incredibly tall skyscrapers possible: http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21579437-new-lightweight-lift-cable-will-let-buildings-soar-ever-upward-other?utm_source=feedly

Lighter, stronger ropes mean the main limiting factor in constructing higher skyscrapers would become the cost, says Antony Wood, an architect at the Illinois Institute of Technology, in Chicago. Dr Wood is also executive director of the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, which, among other things, lists the official heights of skyscrapers. At present the tallest is the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, which was completed in 2010 and, at 828 metres, shot past the previous record-holder, the 508-metre Taipei 101 tower. The Mecca Royal Clock Tower in Saudi Arabia, completed in 2012, is now, at 601 metres, the second-tallest. The Freedom Tower in lower Manhattan, built near the site of the World Trade Centre’s twin towers (417 metres and 415 metres) that were destroyed by al-Qaeda in 2001, had its spire added in May to reach 541 metres. But work has now started on the Kingdom Tower in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Its exact proposed height is still a secret, but it will be at least a kilometre.

With a big enough budget it would, says Dr Wood, now be possible to build a mile-high (1,600-metre) skyscraper. Even with carbon-fibre ropes few of such a building’s lifts would go all the way from the entrance lobby to the observation deck. Most would debouch into intermediate sky lobbies, where passengers could change lifts (not least because a mile-high lift which seemed to stop on every other floor would not be popular; it would be unutterably tedious and might force the poor souls on board to make eye contact).