Author Topic: Recording Game Sessions  (Read 187370 times)

Dogfish

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Re: Recording Game Sessions
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2010, 04:48:47 PM »
Thank you everyone for the quick and informative replies. In all honesty I had done very little research into it bar hearing the woes of a fellow Skype gamer on getting it to work. I'll test out the free software this weekend and get back to you then.

Edit: Ok had the guy that related his woes to me try it (Soundtap) out. Apparently every 10 seconds it cuts out your own audio and replaces it with "Please Purchase Soundtap". I should of stated that really a free solution is the best one at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 05:14:50 PM by Dogfish »

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2010, 06:59:39 PM »
Off topic but whenever I'm listening to an actual play and I hear someone say, "Yeah, but Ross will probably edit this out." And Ross responds, "Yeah, edit...  :-\" I just laugh. 

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2010, 08:44:51 PM »
hahaha, I can't remember when anyone said that in any of the posted games.

Editing takes work so fuck that.

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2010, 08:54:29 PM »
I think it was one of the convention games. I don't remember which one or what was exactly said, but the game was just getting off topic and somebody said something along the lines of, "I hope this gets edited out."

nbneil

• View Profile
    • NerdBound
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2010, 09:43:02 PM »
Sorry Dogfish, I should have let you know you actually had to buy SoundTap.  The audio overlay on the free one is INSANE.  Definitely my bad on that one.
Check out the NerdBound podcast on iTunes or at NerdBound
Follow me on Twitter @nbneil

Sean-o-tron

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • heard nonsense
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2010, 01:14:36 AM »
I recorded the sessions I was in of the nerdbound Rogue Trader games with MP3 Skype Recorder.  It's free and very very stable.  Only downside I've found is it only records to mp3 format, but in my opinion the sound quality is just fine.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2010, 02:29:52 AM »

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2010, 09:56:43 AM »
http://www.powergramo.com/download.htm

Since it's only free for trial, what version do you think will work best when the trial runs out?

NEED MOAR INFO ROSS  OTHER THAN LINK.  :-\
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Dogfish

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2010, 02:51:50 PM »
I recorded the sessions I was in of the nerdbound Rogue Trader games with MP3 Skype Recorder.  It's free and very very stable.  Only downside I've found is it only records to mp3 format, but in my opinion the sound quality is just fine.

I got talking to the guy that does recording and he currently uses this however what has prompted him to start looking again is because it's not stable. It sometimes won't start recording, record only to be played through one 'side' and a few other minor hiccups.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2010, 08:43:52 PM »
If people are interested, I just finished spending about 2-3 hours tweaking and internet searching to find a way to record Skype games for free (on Mac).  I am fairly certain I will be able to record everything and the only final editing will be to lay my personal audio over all the other players.  It involves 3-4 programs, but I'm pretty sure it works and I'll let you know how well after I finish the game.

Just thought I'd throw this up as it seems that there was never a real definitive answer.

Programs used:
2 audio recording programs (I am going to use Audacity (free) and GarageBand (I got it with my computer,  but any other program you can find that will record audio would probably work))
Soundflower
LineIn

I don't know how much of this knowledge would carry over to Windows, but regardless I would be more than happy to help others set things up and get it all squared away.

Arvandus

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
    • Fandible actual play podcast
Audio question
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2010, 08:05:27 AM »
Hey guys,
            Since I got such great advice about what microphone to get for my podcast (love my BLUE SNOWBALL), I thought I would ask you guys what is a good replacement for audacity. I have had a few good sessions of my actual play podcast with audacity, but after crashing a couple of times, I think it might be time to upgrade. Should I upgrade to a paid program or stick with audacity because there isn't anything else thats much better. If I should upgrade, what program would you guys recommend. Thanks in advance.
                                                                                           - Arvandus
Fandible actual play podcast: www.fandible.com

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Audio question
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2010, 06:37:30 PM »
Hey guys,
            Since I got such great advice about what microphone to get for my podcast (love my BLUE SNOWBALL), I thought I would ask you guys what is a good replacement for audacity. I have had a few good sessions of my actual play podcast with audacity, but after crashing a couple of times, I think it might be time to upgrade. Should I upgrade to a paid program or stick with audacity because there isn't anything else thats much better. If I should upgrade, what program would you guys recommend. Thanks in advance.
                                                                                           - Arvandus

I use a digital field recorder because it goes straight to memory card and doesn't crash. The problem isn't the software per se - recording more than an hour of audio is taxing on a system. It's more likely that your computer simply runs out of memory after X amount of time.

Try recording in 1 hour segments - stop every hour to save and start a new file

upgrade your ram

I use garageband for recording standard episodes of RPPR but that's mac only.

Arvandus

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
    • Fandible actual play podcast
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2010, 01:40:19 PM »
I use a digital field recorder because it goes straight to memory card and doesn't crash. The problem isn't the software per se - recording more than an hour of audio is taxing on a system. It's more likely that your computer simply runs out of memory after X amount of time.

upgrade your ram

Thanks for the advice.
Fandible actual play podcast: www.fandible.com

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
Re: Audio question
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2010, 02:30:49 PM »

upgrade your ram

Dammit Ross, you jinxed me!  I had managed to record all of my games without any problems using Audacity, and the day you mention this is the first day it crashes.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2010, 04:48:43 PM »