Author Topic: Recording Game Sessions  (Read 187385 times)

Max_Writer

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
Re: Recording Game Sessions
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2011, 12:26:35 PM »
Sorry to res this thread but I thought I'd give my 2 cents.

I use an Olympus WS-110 digital voice recorder and have since 2009.  It uses a single AAA battery which lives about 8 to 10 hours and picks up voices very well.  It also has a usb jack built right in that can be hooked to the usb port on my computer to download the information quickly and easily.  If anyone is interested in the quality of the recordings, some of the sessions I've recorded can be found here:

http://www.zanysite.com/maxwriter/

ArtfulShrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2011, 01:15:21 PM »
Okay, this might be a bit off-topic/unrelated by now, but has anyone considered setting up an Audio Out cable on the computer that's running Skype, and connecting it to some sort of external recorder? Solves the memory issues pretty handily.

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2011, 04:26:16 PM »
I've essentially done this, but with programs on my computer.  The problem is that it would still require patching together two audio tracks...

Though I just realized that in the future (because i have two computers), I might have one just sit in the call to record...

beej

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2011, 09:57:29 PM »
Hey,

I recorded a game with my ipad2 and can only export it to my pc as a .caf file.  What software is recommended to get it to mp3 so I can cut it up / edit it?

Mahalo
"Old R'lyeh Brewery. Enjoy a cold one on the Great Old One!"

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK

beej

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2011, 12:34:16 AM »
Thanks Ross.

So I got the software and converted/cut up the file.  However now I'm having some trouble with the FTP. 

I'm using FileZilla since I can't get Cyberduck/FireFTp because either I don't have a legal copy of an OS or it just won't work with Firefox.  Anyway, I created an account with the AP site.  When I attempt to connect with the FTP I get the following error.

Protocol error: Unknown protocol identifier (0x50 0x50 0x48). Most likely connected to the wrong port.
Connection to server closed.

For the port I put in: 21
for the address i put in:  ftp.slangdesign.com
for the password i put in:  RPPRis#1

mahalo

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2011, 02:21:50 AM »
are you using rpprupload@slangdesign.com as the username?

beej

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2011, 02:27:10 AM »
won't give me a username option

scratch that program, onto SmartFTP.  I think this one will work.

-- edit

Currently the log window says it can't check the file extension (which is mp3) and is adding it to the transfer queue.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 02:37:25 AM by beej »

tomas246

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2012, 06:37:01 AM »
I know it's beat to death, but if anyone was interested in other recording options, my group and I just started using the Sony ICD SX712 (http://www.abt.com/product/53635/Sony-ICDSX712.html?utm_source=scfroogle&utm_medium=sc&utm_campaign=froogle&gclid=CMjljOGftq0CFWg0QgodkzzalQ).  It is a small portable MP3 recorded with a dual surround sound mic.  The sound quality is pretty good, it records for up to 13 hours with 2 AAA batteries that last about 8 hours.  Once the files are recorded, it easily uploads to my lap top computer where I edit the tracks instantly using Garage Band.  Check out my groups Live Play podcasts on iTunes to see a sample of the sound, search for: This Quest Sucks! Gaming Podcast.  The podcasts I'm currently uploading are from our Gamma World sessions! :)

(You can also check out a sample on the RSS feed here: http://tmcd.podbean.com/2011/10/09/this-quest-sucks-presents-gamma-world-drones-clones-and-armored-automobiles-episode-1-part-1/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 07:08:59 AM by tomas246 »

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2014, 04:35:14 PM »
Update on recording

I use a zoom h2n in 2 channel 360 degree recording mode, set to record to .wav. I then use levelator on the wav file then compress the output file into a mp3, using the same settings in Final Cut Pro as I have always done.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2015, 07:41:01 PM »
More details on Zoom H2n settings

I use uncompressed (.wav) on 2 channel 360 degree (the control on the top of the mic) Lo-Cut ON,  COMP 2 (VOCAL) for comp/limiter, auto gain off. I then use Levelator on the source audio file http://web.archive.org/web/20130729204551id_/http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator/

Then I encode the wav file to a 64kbps mono mp3. You can use any number of programs to do that. Audacity is free.  Sometimes I use Audacity for noise removal as well.

I use a 32 gig sd card - that gets over 50 hours of wav file recording. I never reuse sd cards because they're pretty cheap.

BTW you can use a USB battery pack to power a zoom h2n - put in the standard batteries so it accurately time stamps files though.

I also use a foam windscreen.