Author Topic: Monsters questoin  (Read 11685 times)

KallMeKip

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
Monsters questoin
« on: February 18, 2010, 08:47:06 PM »
I got the book and I got 2 of my 5 groups to agree to try it. I figured I would stat with a premade to get a feel for running it. What premade for monsters is best for people new for the game?

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
Re: Monsters questoin
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 09:16:52 PM »
There are some in the book.  I took a look at them and they seem pretty simple.

KallMeKip

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 09:18:34 PM »
My players have read them already so I cant

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 09:55:54 PM »
I don't know if there are many published adventures (if any) for Monsters and Other Childish Things...

KallMeKip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
True I think ross made one but I am not shure if it is Good for begginers. And theres the Candlewick manor.

ristarr

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 10:11:21 PM »
I would suggest the one Ross wrote, Curriculum of Conspiracy.  The introductory adventure contained in it is very newbie friendly.   And the rest of the book is a lot if fun. Candlewick is great also, but I think of it as almost a different game. Your character starts with monsterous powers and the monsters are more like NPCs

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 10:45:10 PM »
Shane Ivey wrote a decent adventure called Sky Maul http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=77807

only a buck

KallMeKip

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 10:53:31 PM »
Might Run the one dollar One then if either of the groups like it I will buy Ross's and run that next. Thank you guys for the help

ristarr

• View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 12:36:19 AM »
Sky Maul is cool too.  I like the 4 lavatories of howling blue doom!  I like the short format adventures they are starting to publish.  They are cheap and can be published quick by Arc Dream.

crash2455

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
  • #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
Re: Monsters question
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 03:14:42 AM »
I figured it was better to necro this thread than create a new one.

Anyway, I was wondering how people ran the rules on Spray.  Do you let your players apply all their extras (mainly Gnarly) to each Spray match?  I ask because in my last session one monster had Spray x2 and Gnarly x4, and got 3 matches, and after applying all of the modifiers, nearly obliterated the opposing monster in the first round.  I let it go because it was the intro adventure and there were 2 combats in total.

I dealt with this problem when I was running Sucrose Park by just having more sentry robots and traps for that monster to deal with.  I suppose I can abuse the hell out of the threat system to fight fire with fire if need be.

Perhaps I was wrong in cluing the players into the Ben Baugh quote "You can break my game, but what's the fun in that?" by missing the fact that there's at least one Power Gamer in my group.

Also, SkyMaul was the first MaOCT adventure I ran for my group one late evening and did not expect it to be as long as it is.  I seriously expected it to be about an hour and it somehow stretched into four (including Character Generation, I believe this session was like 6 hours).  I later re-read SkyMaul and realized I missed a few things (including how Tik-a-Tak speaks).  I tried to re-write it into Road Trip, and ended up with Ed's Diner.

Dogfish

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 01:45:22 PM »

Perhaps I was wrong in cluing the players into the Ben Baugh quote "You can break my game, but what's the fun in that?" by missing the fact that there's at least one Power Gamer in my group.

Well it's fairly easy to break the game as a new player by complete accident, as a DM what I would do is have the players give you their concept and then you work it into a monster. It's just the safest way to keep balance.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2010, 03:00:33 PM »

You're not wrong in the sense that all games can be broken, you just have to figure out how.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 12:37:49 PM »
I believe what the quote meant is that Monsters can be pretty easily broken.  Ben Baugh just didn't care too much because combat is only a small part of the game.  I guess the only thing that happens as a result of a broken monster is quicker and more fearsome battles because I throw a ton more guys at the broken monster.

ArtfulShrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 12:46:15 PM »
I believe what the quote meant is that Monsters can be pretty easily broken.  Ben Baugh just didn't care too much because combat is only a small part of the game.  I guess the only thing that happens as a result of a broken monster is quicker and more fearsome battles because I throw a ton more guys at the broken monster.

I always interpreted it as Ben's acknowledgement that any game can be broken, his included. Really not much easier to break than DnD or WoD (i.e. Play a cleric, or take Celerity 5)

crash2455

• #1 Brovine
    • View Profile
    • The Drunk and the Ugly
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 12:57:46 PM »
I always interpreted it as Ben's acknowledgement that any game can be broken, his included. Really not much easier to break than DnD or WoD (i.e. Play a cleric, or take Celerity 5)

I'd argue that it's a little harder to break DnD and then I remember Vow of Poverty -> Vow of Peace.  I suppose that game's asking to be broken simply by the sheer number of rules it has.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 02:48:11 AM by crash2455 »