Author Topic: Real life player characters  (Read 32418 times)

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
Re: Real life player characters
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 01:24:24 PM »

Goddammit where did I leave my cyanide caps?
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 01:27:14 PM »
They don't have sex but their system of production is still clearly an understandable biological function and all resulting individuals are identical.

When the queen can pop out randomized monster versions of the "normal" ones at will, then we'll be getting into Mythos territory.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 03:02:45 PM »
They don't have sex but their system of production is still clearly an understandable biological function and all resulting individuals are identical.

When the queen can pop out randomized monster versions of the "normal" ones at will, then we'll be getting into Mythos territory.

Well, there you have it. That's how you can adapt super ants.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 03:42:01 PM »
I've been playing Earth Defense Force 2017 for the 360 lately. The common enemy is a 3 story ant. They come at you in the hundreds and it is actually kinda creepy to be totally swarmed by giant alien ants that bite and spit acid at you. No matter how many you kill, they just keep coming. And they climb over buildings and skyscrapers. Ugh.

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 12:34:07 PM »
This guy is awesome beyond belief:

Simo Hayha a.k.a. The White Death

I feel like statting him up and adding him to a game.

dragonshaos

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Amateur DM
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 12:37:53 PM »
I've been playing Earth Defense Force 2017 for the 360 lately. The common enemy is a 3 story ant. They come at you in the hundreds and it is actually kinda creepy to be totally swarmed by giant alien ants that bite and spit acid at you. No matter how many you kill, they just keep coming. And they climb over buildings and skyscrapers. Ugh.

That game is alot of fun.  Friend of mine got it and it was by chance, he dosent even like the game but keeps it just because me and a buddy of mine want it.  He's a dick.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Wooberman

• I have no mouth and I must LOL
    • View Profile
    • Woober's FB
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2013, 05:13:01 AM »
Live Topic! LIVE!!
 We need more of these.

Teuthic

• of the Bleak Cabal
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2013, 08:08:39 AM »
The Anarchist Prince, Peter Kropotkin

Kropotkin was a Russian Prince, the founder of Anarcho-communism, the man who figured out how group dynamics evolved in nature, world traveller, and the rival of noted evolutionary theorist and fascist, TH Huxley. Also, total PC.

In 1874 Kropotkin was arrested and imprisoned in the Peter and Paul Fortress for subversive political activity, as a result of his work with the Circle of Tchaikovsky. Because of his aristocratic background, he was granted special privileges while in prison, such as being allowed to continue his geographical work in his cell. He delivered his report on the subject of the Ice Age, where he argued that it had taken place in not as distant a past as originally thought. In 1876, just before his trial, Kropotkin was moved to a low-security prison in St. Petersburg, from which he escaped with the assistance of his friends. On the night of the escape, Kropotkin and his friends celebrated by dining in one of the finest restaurants in St. Petersburg, assuming correctly that the police would not think to look for them there.
I want to be Peter Kropotkin when I grow up.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2013, 11:21:26 PM »
blatantly stealing a post from the SA forums:

WWI use of horses:

WW2 use of horses:

WWI Armor:

"A German sentinel is wearing a Grabenpanzer"

"A Medic"

WWI Trench clubs:

Also:
"This rather disturbingly sobering photo is of WW1 servicemen looking at an impression in the ground that had just been caused by an airman falling to his death from a great height"
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:23:22 PM by clockworkjoe »

robotkarateman

• Mulsk!
    • View Profile
    • AARG roleplaying system
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2013, 08:23:38 PM »
Egyptian Unit 777, heavily armed player characters

In 1977, the Egyptian military created Task Force 777, a special unit of highly trained soldiers whose mission was to suppress terrorist activity and respond to terrorism in progress.

Their first action occurred the following year when the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine assassinated an Egyptian national in Nicosia. The PFLP terrorists then took hostages and were able to escape in a Cyprus Air DC8. When Egyptian forces threatened to shoot the plane down, it was forced to land in Larnaca, Cyprus. The Egyptian government attempted to negotiate with the Cypriot government to take custody of the PFLP hijackers, but Cyprus refused.

So the Egyptians sent in Task Force 777 to Larnaca.

The commandos landed in a C-130 near the hijacked plane. The transport's cargo door dropped and four commandos rode out on an armored jeep toward the hijacked plane while five dozen other armed commandos flooded out of the transport and proceeded down the tarmac on foot, firing warning shots at the hijacked plane as they went.

Unfortunately, Task Force 777 failed to inform Cyprus that they were coming.

The Cypriot National Guard, which had just watched an unidentified military transport land and dozens of armed men pour out firing their weapons, responded appropriately. 15 of the Task Force 777 commandos were killed, including the initial 4 who were killed when multiple rockets struck their jeep.

In 1985, the now renamed Unit 777, got a chance to redeem themselves.

Three members of Abu Nidal hijacked Egypt Air Flight 648 and attempted to redirect it to Libya. An Egyptian special security officer who was on board the plane produced his weapon and opened fire on the terrorists, shooting a hole in the fuselage in the process and causing a rapid depressurization which nearly suffocated everyone on board.

The plane made an emergency landing in Malta - after Malta refused this landing and actually shut off the runway lights so the plane couldn't land.

Again, Unit 777 was dispatched.

This time, however, American negotiators arrived before Unit 777. The negotiators arranged for some medical supplies to be brought to the plane for the injured passengers and set up a timetable for food to be brought for the terrorists and the passengers. American Delta Forces were to dress up as airline representatives and bring in the food, then subdue the hijackers when they got the opportunity.

That was the plan.

An hour before the food exchange was to take place, Unit 777, without consulting either the Americans or the Maltese government, stormed the plane. They attached an explosive to the plane's door, but failed to gain access. A second device was placed on the cargo hatch, it too failed. The two explosions did, however, cause plastic in the plane's walls to catch fire, filling the cabin with caustic smoke.
777 commandos climbed on top of the plane and tried again by placing a third device over the weakest point on the plane's frame - the oxygen exchanger. The resulting explosion ripped through the cabin and killed 20 hostages instantly. Four 777 commandos were also injured in the blast.

However, the resulting hole was large enough for 777 to gain entrance.

So they lobbed in at least three grenades, then jumped in with weapons ready. Once inside, however, 777 found their sight limited by the smoke from the fires lit by the previous explosions and the grenades. They ordered everyone on the ground, then, unable to tell passengers from hijackers, began shooting indiscriminately toward any movement.

Several passengers and one crew member managed to get the plane's door open and tried to flee the carnage inside the plane - only to be gunned down on the tarmac by 777 snipers.

In all, 57 of the 80 hostages were killed in the raid.

Two of the three hijackers were killed. The third abandoned his weapon and jacket and pretended to be an injured passenger. 777 commandos led him, along with the hostages, to waiting medical personnel. He was taken to a nearby hospital with the others and was recognized by one of the passengers just as he was attempting to leave the hospital.

777 was temporarily disbanded, but was reformed in 1991. Today they have blackhawks and mi-8s and train with the SEALs.
GENERALA, my free dungeon-crawling RPG, is now available! And it's free!

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2013, 10:00:15 PM »
yup that is some grade A player logic there. If you can't solve a problem with explosives, use more explosives.

Jacko

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Hrrrrrmmmmmm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 09:36:55 AM »
If you find yourself playing a politically oriented game, you could do a lot worse than this.  I present Saint Olga of Kiev.  How'd she become a saint?  By spreading Christianity through 10th century Eastern Europe.  What was doing before that?  Well...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olga_of_Kiev

Princess Olga was the wife of Igor of Kiev, who was killed by the Drevlians. Upon her husband's death, their son, Svyatoslav, was three years old, making Olga the official ruler of Kievan Rus until he reached adulthood. The Drevlians wanted Olga to marry their Prince Mal, making him the ruler of Kievan Rus, but Olga was determined to remain in power and preserve it for her son.

The Drevlians sent twenty of their best men to persuade Olga to marry their Prince Mal and give up her rule of Kievan Rus. She had them buried alive. Then she sent word to Prince Mal that she accepted the proposal, but required their most distinguished men to accompany her on the journey in order for her people to accept the offer of marriage. The Drevlians sent their best men who governed their land. Upon their arrival, she offered them a warm welcome and an invitation to clean up after their long journey in a bathhouse. After they entered, she locked the doors and set fire to the building, burning them alive.

With the best and wisest men out of the way, she planned to destroy the remaining Drevlians. She invited them to a funeral feast so she could mourn over her husband's grave, where her servants waited on them. After the Drevlians were drunk, Olga's soldiers killed over 5,000 of them. She returned to Kiev and prepared an army to attack the survivors. The Drevlians begged for mercy and offered to pay for their freedom with honey and furs. She asked for three pigeons and three sparrows from each house, since she did not want to burden the villagers any further after the siege. They were happy to comply with such a reasonable request.

Now Olga gave to each soldier in her army a pigeon or a sparrow, and ordered them to attach by thread to each pigeon and sparrow a piece of sulfur bound with small pieces of cloth. When night fell, Olga bade her soldiers release the pigeons and the sparrows. So the birds flew to their nests, the pigeons to the cotes, and the sparrows under the eaves. The dove-cotes, the coops, the porches, and the haymows were set on fire. There was not a house that was not consumed, and it was impossible to extinguish the flames, because all the houses caught on fire at once. The people fled from the city, and Olga ordered her soldiers to catch them. Thus she took the city and burned it, and captured the elders of the city. Some of the other captives she killed, while some she gave to others as slaves to her followers. The remnant she left to pay tribute.

Olga remained Regent ruler of Kievan Rus with the support of the army and her people. She changed the system of tribute gathering (poliudie) in the first legal reform recorded in Eastern Europe. She continued to evade proposals of marriage, defended the city during the Siege of Kiev in 968, and saved the power of the throne for her son.

robotkarateman

• Mulsk!
    • View Profile
    • AARG roleplaying system
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 12:14:25 AM »
Hall opened the door and grabbed the Marine, demanding to know who he was. The pair fell backward and scuffled for 90-seconds, Streets said.

The Marine eventually put Hall in a headlock and encouraged him “to take deep breaths and relax,” Streets said.

During the fight, the woman fled and told a neighbor that Hall was going to kill the Marine, Streets said.

The neighbor “ran out of his house shirtless and armed with an aerosol can of bear repellant,” Streets said.

Man acquitted in romantic bear-spray squabble

This is what happens when you try to introduce romance to a typical campaign.
GENERALA, my free dungeon-crawling RPG, is now available! And it's free!

Angry Ted

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2013, 03:23:52 AM »
Izzy and Moe walked the streets of NYC during the prohibition busting Gin Houses. It's not hard to imagine them walking the back alleys of Red Hook.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/Controversies/Biography-Izzy-Einstein-and-Moe-Smith.html#.UkaCMdJ6b6E

Izzy Einstein's success was based on his skill in disguising himself. His ability to speak German, Polish, Hungarian, Bohemian, Yiddish and some Italian and Russian helped him deceive his victims. The human chameleon disguised himself as a German pickle packer, a Polish count, a Hungarian violinist, a Jewish gravedigger, a French maitre d', an Italian fruit vendor, a Russian fisherman and a Chinese launderer. His disguises included a streetcar conductor, an ice deliverer, an opera singer, a truck driver, a judge, a traveling cigar salesman, a street cleaner, a Texas cattleman, a movie extra, a football player, a beauty contest judge, a grocer, a lawyer, a librarian, a rabbi, a college student, a musician, a plumber and a delegate from Kentucky to the Democratic National convention. "In Coney Island, he entered a drinking joint in a wet bathing suit, shivering and gasping for aid. Wearing an attendant's white jacket, he shut another saloon near a hospital."2 He even disguised himself as an African-American man in Harlem.

"Izzy once tossed his agent's badge on the bar of a Bowery saloon and — this fat, unkempt individual — asked for a pint of whisky for ‘a deserving prohibition agent.' The bartender sold it to him, thinking him a great wit."3

Izzy and Moe Smith made 4,932 arrests of bartenders, bootleggers and speakeasy owners with an amazing 95 percent conviction rate. On a particularly busy day, they raided 48 speakeasies. Izzy referred to his successful operations as the "Einstein Theory of Rum Snooping."4 Einstein never carried a gun, although Moe sometimes did, and was shot at only once; fortunately, the gun jammed and he escaped harm. With arrests he typically announced "There's sad news here. You're under arrest."5

Gorkamorka

• Let me GURPS that for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 04:08:30 PM »
Some PCs just got arrested in Mexico

Gorkamorka (Fridrik)