Author Topic: The Tomb of Coddowalshagoth: Fan Project  (Read 24884 times)

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
Re: The Tomb of Coddowalshagoth: Fan Project
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 12:46:12 AM »
Yes, and you would be the most bruised motherfucker on the planet. 

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 01:26:48 PM »
A lot of pain and blood happen to be at hospitals.

EDIT: I'm not the biggest cultist so can anyone tell me if the Fan Club has ever established what dwells at the ?bottom? of the pits? If there is a bottom that is.

It hasn't been fully defined. My personal usage of the pits had been that the cult dwells at the edges or along the sides of the pits. It's also possible they could dwell at the bottom of outer pits.

I envision the beating heart of any cult being its main pit, a constantly lowering inverted structure. The main pit is fed by tunnels and holes, which the cult uses to throw things down. Water, blood, other liquids, people, whatever things they sacrific, are throwing through holes and end up in a god awful mess at the bottom.

I imagine that, at some point, the pits become self propetuating. The swill at the bottom, through magic or science, continually eats away at the earth or stone blow, sinking the pit ever deeper.

In both scenarios I've run the cults worshipped the Cathartic Lobster directly, rather than Coddowalshagoth itself so that imagery doesn't have to be universal.

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 12:43:39 AM »
OKAY.

After forgetting about this thread for about a month I am planning an adventure based around this megaproject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kola_Superdeep_Borehole

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 12:22:44 PM »
In an effort to be able to use as many different styles of CoC "villain" as possible while still maintaining a focus on Coddowalshagoth, I am proposing that various avatars fit tropes assosiated with other mythos entities. You have physical gods which can directly threaten, like Cthulhu or monsterous Nyarlathotep, and you have less physically existant types, no specific examples of which I can think of.

Anyway, I want both to be available. For the monsterous form we have the Cathartic Lobster and like any good monster it should be tightly controlled to allow for maximum plot use. As such, I propose that one can summon a manifestation of the Lobster using magic or can physically reach it if it's prison is discovered and pierced.

As an extension of my first Coddowalshagoth CoC scenario I'm proposing a location for the Cathartic Lobster's current physical location. The northest corner of Missouri is not widely populated and makes a good place for a cult to blossom. Pits and pools of water played well with the lobster so I suggest Atchison County in Missouri, on the border of the Polk and Lincoln Townships. It's effectivally the middle of nowhere but there is some human population in the area.

More importantly, there is an aquafier which connects to that area of the country, specifically a sand and gravel styled aquifier which refreshes from surface water and has a water flow. I propose that the Cathartic Lobster is imprisoned within the sand and grave deep underground and that it's cultists are digging their pit to free it.

ThnJonWasAZmbie

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Where bears can fly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 12:52:41 PM »
Servitor races of Coddowalshagoth would be themed around pain and blood. They could also be crustaceans of some sort.

Inspiration for artists (I just did a google search)

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/58573_amazingly-unique-and-weird-lobsters     

My I also suggest the scotoplanes also known as the sea pig.

Oh my god, I just google imaged a scotoplane........I'm gonna have nightmares.
Jumping off diving boards gives you the ability to make your rpg ring with authenticity.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 12:55:44 PM »
Servitor races of Coddowalshagoth would be themed around pain and blood. They could also be crustaceans of some sort.

The best part of the scotoplane is the four tentacles that grow out of their back that they use to stabilize themselves when they walk along the ocean floor.

If I owned a major sports team, I would name them the Scotoplanes. Go Scotoplanes!
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

ThnJonWasAZmbie

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Where bears can fly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 12:58:48 PM »

dude, no one would fuck with a team with that as a mascot.  shit I wouldn't even step onto the field/court  to play.

The best part of the scotoplane is the four tentacles that grow out of their back that they use to stabilize themselves when they walk along the ocean floor.

If I owned a major sports team, I would name them the Scotoplanes. Go Scotoplanes!
Jumping off diving boards gives you the ability to make your rpg ring with authenticity.

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 03:14:05 PM »
In an effort to be able to use as many different styles of CoC "villain" as possible while still maintaining a focus on Coddowalshagoth, I am proposing that various avatars fit tropes assosiated with other mythos entities. You have physical gods which can directly threaten, like Cthulhu or monsterous Nyarlathotep, and you have less physically existant types, no specific examples of which I can think of.

Anyway, I want both to be available. For the monsterous form we have the Cathartic Lobster and like any good monster it should be tightly controlled to allow for maximum plot use. As such, I propose that one can summon a manifestation of the Lobster using magic or can physically reach it if it's prison is discovered and pierced.

As an extension of my first Coddowalshagoth CoC scenario I'm proposing a location for the Cathartic Lobster's current physical location. The northest corner of Missouri is not widely populated and makes a good place for a cult to blossom. Pits and pools of water played well with the lobster so I suggest Atchison County in Missouri, on the border of the Polk and Lincoln Townships. It's effectivally the middle of nowhere but there is some human population in the area.

More importantly, there is an aquafier which connects to that area of the country, specifically a sand and gravel styled aquifier which refreshes from surface water and has a water flow. I propose that the Cathartic Lobster is imprisoned within the sand and grave deep underground and that it's cultists are digging their pit to free it.

Who managed to imprison the Lobster?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 04:58:37 PM »
The stars, same as most of the powerful things which inhabit the world. Or it might have just ended up there and doesn't see a specific need to leave at the time being. It is an immortal entity, it might enjoy a few millenia in the mud as a vacation.

It might have been the action of native inhabitants as well. A good lead in for the investigative side could involve native american legends and stories with an animal unknown to their region, or of an exaggerated nature.

Does northern Missouri have mud bugs? That region has a couple of streams and rivers.

Kroack

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 01:20:22 AM »
I google Northern Missouri and got:

An arrow and a road in the middle of nowhere.

EDIT:

Apparently this is what the sky typically looks like in Northern Missouri

Freaky or what? Perhaps too hopeful with the rainbow.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:22:30 AM by Kroack »

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2010, 03:21:24 PM »
Fuck SW MO, Im moving there!

ArtfulShrapnel

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2010, 04:04:01 PM »
I'd be willing to contribute some hours as a writer or artist. Any specific tasks need doing?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 05:36:13 PM »
Well we'll eventually need pictures of the various avatars. Since all the current avatars except for the Lobster itself and Coddowalshagoth's "true" form are based off of Cody's characters most of them already have solid images to do by. With most of the avatars I'd rather avoid detailed images since that spoils alot of the mystery and confusion vital to a good horror experience. The Lobster could certainly use a picture to give it focus though.

When I used it in play I envisioned a massive pool of water at the bottom of a pit with holes dropping water, blood, and other fluids down into the pool at the bottom. Something massive moved in the pool without breaking the surface and a set of red lights occationally moved just below the water (the Lobster's eyes, which I described as compound, like an LED traffic light, set in two rows of four).

So, if you have the time a shot like that would be nice. In the alternative a few rough sketches of possible looks for the lobster would be useful as well. I'm not sure if the creature has an upright chest or if it is built in a long line like a normal lobster.

I don't think I've ever read anything by you though. What have you written?