Author Topic: A Study in the Logic of Gaming  (Read 142443 times)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: A Study in the Logic of Gaming
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2009, 12:29:13 AM »
Quote from: Setherick
the engaged and now married couple John and Katie

Hey, are these the couple that ran The Life and Times of Santa Claus?  Because that was pretty fucking awesome.

Yes, yes it was.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2009, 12:42:38 AM »
tonight's New World Campaign session 17 was full of player logic

-players need to build army to fight Cortez's horde of doom. One way to help? Recruit orgres to join your rag-tag resistance. The ogres want a big ass fortress built. That's fine but do you really want to give ogres a big fortress? Well, since you're building it, you can put in a secret tunnel so you can sneak in and kill the ogres if they turn on you. How to disguise the tunnel? Make it a latrine. How to keep the ogres from poking around in it? Put a Otayguh in it to eat the shit. How to get a shit eating monster? Buy one from local goblin chieftain Balgron the Fat. Then proceed to make 20 minutes of jokes about a shit eating monster salesman.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2009, 12:52:52 AM »
in a goblin new jersey accent:

you gotta dungeon full of ogres? Then you got a dungeon full of shit! Get one of my shit eating monsters to eat that shit!

Goblin shit, orc shit, even dragon shit!

I even got trained shit eating monsters! You can piss in their mouth and they won't bite your dick off!

wrotenbe

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • RAWRF
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2009, 12:57:27 AM »
in a goblin new jersey accent:

you gotta dungeon full of ogres? Then you got a dungeon full of shit! Get one of my shit eating monsters to eat that shit!

Goblin shit, orc shit, even dragon shit!

I even got trained shit eating monsters! You can piss in their mouth and they won't bite your dick off!

Please..Try my product.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2009, 01:32:03 AM »
More like this guy
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

wrotenbe

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • RAWRF
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2009, 02:11:44 AM »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #126 on: May 09, 2009, 03:12:31 AM »
The New World truly is a fantastic new realm of possbility.

Remember, when dealing with Ogres: "The enemy of my enemy is too stupid to understand the whole 'balance of power' thing and will still smash me into paste with a torn up tree".

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2009, 12:02:56 AM »
Shit eating monsters . . . they're fuckin' classy!
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #128 on: May 12, 2009, 01:58:31 PM »
Player logic in those fancy pants vidya games http://www.eldergame.com/2009/05/11/user-generated-quests-and-the-ruby-slippers/
    * Players subconsciously calculate the cost-to-benefit ratio of content when deciding if it’s fun. For most MMO players, more reward = more fun. (This is a bitch of a lesson to learn, too. “My custom-scripted quest was so incredibly cool! Why aren’t players doing the quest? Well, yes, the reward was a little sub-par, but so what? You’re telling me they aren’t playing it because of THAT? Players can’t be THAT shallow!” Ha ha, newb.)
    * Players aren’t objective reviewers. If you ask them to grade content, they will grade more rewarding content higher than other content even if it isn’t as good by other metrics (like plot, writing, annoyance factor, or originality).
    * Many players spend incredible amounts of time finding ways to min-max the system so they can get more power for less effort. That’s part of the fun for many players. So there are tens of thousands of people actively looking for mistakes, loopholes, and gray areas in your game. All the time.

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2009, 09:25:24 PM »
Let's face it, Captain Kirk is the ultimate player character. If he can't fuck it or kill it, then he is out of ideas.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Corrosive Rabbit

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 14, 2009, 09:53:38 PM »
Let's face it, Captain Kirk is the ultimate player character. If he can't fuck it or kill it, then he is out of ideas.

At which point he does what gamer logic demands -- he turns to the "smart" PC and puts it on him to fix it.  Spock = Wizard.

CR
A bullet may have your name on it, but hand grenades are like spam for the battlefield.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2009, 10:25:34 PM »

At which point he does what gamer logic demands -- he turns to the "smart" PC and puts it on him to fix it.  Spock = Wizard.

CR

Spock is the ultimate rules lawyer PC - minmaxed the fuck out of chargen (half human and half vulcan? Psionics and uber martial arts with a special knock out attack? Maxed out science skills in a sci fi game?)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #132 on: May 15, 2009, 12:15:53 AM »
Dr. McCoy put all his skill points into medical but always rolls low ("He's dead Jim") so his player spends all his time drinking and arguing with the other PCs.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 15, 2009, 11:35:22 AM »
Dr. McCoy put all his skill points into medical but always rolls low ("He's dead Jim") so his player spends all his time drinking and arguing with the other PCs.

The problem with McCoy is that he constantly has a -10 penalty because he's hungover constantly.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #134 on: May 15, 2009, 01:09:53 PM »
Scotty always wants to take twenty instead of just rolling.

Chekhov's player is the group's roleplayer and think the accent is "being in character".

I'm enjoying this excerise. Perhaps I need to make a new thread for this sort of thing.