Author Topic: A Study in the Logic of Gaming  (Read 142456 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: A Study in the Logic of Gaming
« Reply #180 on: January 08, 2010, 06:35:05 PM »
In light of our new sticky, I'm going to give a little example of somebody who didn't really consider the end result of an action.

D&D 4th Edition game. Inspired by a recent cosmic horror kick I sent my players into the Far Realm, home of some of the freaker shit in D&D. They entered the realm and, from the start, where penalized on their ability to understand what was around them based on their intellegence and wisdom and on their ability to interact (physically, not socially) with things they encountered based on their charisma.

I figured it would be fun to reverse their roles within the part. The game is Epic level so I felt they could use a challenge. Suddenly the introvet Druid with 10 Intellegence is the only guy with any perspective on their surroundings, while the Sword Mage with Intellegence around 30 can't even see real shapes.

Long story short, they discover the world they are currently walking around in is a single entity, so the city itself is their enemy. Fight follows as the player try to fight a city (which, for the sake of having stats, was a 30th Level Solo monster putting it slightly below a number of deities in levels of power) with two of their characters begin, basically, blind.

The first, and most glorious, example of what I consider to be a transcendent form of gamer logic, the Sword Mage, realizing that because this instance of the Far Realm existed inside of the Elemental Chaos, he could make a simple Intellegence roll to alter the abiant physical laws, including appearances. The character is a Gensei (a native elemental humanoid) so he had "Elemental Chaos +2", using my homebrewed secondary skills system, and he managed to roll very high.

Given control of local physics, he forced his surroundings to become a flat, featureless brown expanse, segemented every five feet by perfectly straight black lines running at right angles across the surface of this plane. He farther forced all individuals within his field of control to exist only in one of these sqaures at a time. I was, quite honestly, speechless.

So, next round I hit him with a stun attack so he lost control and everything went back to the way it was before.

Second trick was the cleric. She decided to use what has become her favorite power which is basically a form of banishment. So, she uses it against the "monster". The "monster" is the city, and plane of reality, upon which the players stand. And the monster is now gone.

This creates a massive, completely empty space inside of the elemental chaos, with the PCs at the middle. And nature abhors a vaccum. The "implosion" of elemental energy didn't kill them (though it should have), but they didn't feel like adventuring for awhile afterwards.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 08, 2010, 09:04:46 PM »
Had your swordmage recently read Flatland?
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #182 on: January 08, 2010, 09:08:56 PM »
He had not.

Dawnsteel

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Dispensing indiscriminate justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 08, 2010, 11:12:35 PM »
I hate to go out on a limb, but had he, oh, say, looked at a blank battle grid?

That was a pretty awesome trick.  Also I like how you were able to undo it without resorting to the GM Fiat Stick (AKA "Because I Said So, Damn It").
I didn't come here to win. I came to make friends.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 08, 2010, 11:17:33 PM »

That was a pretty awesome trick.  Also I like how you were able to undo it without resorting to the GM Fiat Stick (AKA "Because I Said So, Damn It").

HA! I didn't even think of that. Shows how long it's been since I've been at a gaming table with one of those. Ross has mine and my minis.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #185 on: January 08, 2010, 11:57:37 PM »

That was a pretty awesome trick.  Also I like how you were able to undo it without resorting to the GM Fiat Stick (AKA "Because I Said So, Damn It").

Nail on the head. The player declared, with a grin, that he forced the reality of the game to repeat the reality of the battlemat we all sat around. He and I shared a grin but I think the existential moment was lost on the other players.

IDaMan008

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Lucky 13!
    • View Profile
    • Rag-NERD-rok Actual Plays
« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2010, 02:30:56 AM »
Here's a bizarre tidbit of insane gamer logic for ya. A while ago, I decided to run Tom's Divine Fire scenario, and my players liked it and the characters they were playing enough that they wanted me to continue the story. I decided to have the survivors of the debacle at the secret Nazi complex join up with a Delta Green-esque branch of the military whose mission was to investigate and deal with supernatural threats on the battlefield, and sent them off to investigate a small town in the Hautes Vosges mountains where a critical supply line to the Franco-American allies was being disrupted for unknown reasons. Basically, the Nazis approached some Mi-Go that were mining in the area and negotiated for some advanced alien technologies, while simultaneously conducting research into creating their own CoC versions of horcruxes ("Apportion Ka" is the spell, I believe), a scenario that resulted in a bunch of disembodied Nazi brains taking control of a company of American soldiers by apportioning little bits of their souls into their organs and transplanting said body parts into the unwitting Americans.

My players had a wonderful time with it, with the exception of one: the power gamer in our party who is constantly looking for ways to make his character bigger/better/stronger and generally ore able than the others, even if it means trafficking with supernatural horrors and sacrificing a few of his friends to get what he wants. For example, when I ran the original Divine Fire scenario, his character wanted to sell the others out to the ghoul in order to learn more about the mythos, a plan that he never carried out because he missed a session and I was a bit too new to running CoC to feel comfortable adding that complication to the plot. This may be all well and good in the World of Darkness, but in CoC, engaging the Mythos creatures with that kind of reckless abandon is a fast route to insanity and an untimely death, a fact I've warned him of several times. It could also be the reason why he's not so keen on being a part of my CoC adventures, and why he misses so many sessions.

Anyhow, the Power Player had missed the session where the characters found the operating theater full of advanced surgical equipment that the team's doctor was unable to identify, and the strange room full of organs in jars, and he decided not to pay very close attention to my recap at the beginning of the next session. When the party finally unearthed the disembodied brains of the Nazi officers, floating in jars attached to crude robotic bodies, he failed his San check and slipped into a temporary insanity. I rolled Echolalia on the Temporary Insanity chart, and told him that his character was horrified beyond the capacity for speech, and could only helplessly repeat what those around him were saying.

The rest of the party entered the room, and those who remained sane enough to do so made contact with the brains. When one of the party members asked what they had done to themselves, one of the Nazi brains told them, "The fungus has made us what we are! Gods among men!" Now, I had been dropping hints that the aliens who gave the Nazis the advanced surgical instruments weren't exactly animal in nature, describing the places where the Mi-Go had been as being coated in a thin film of unidentifiable fungoid sludge. The Power Gamer, upon hearing the Nazi's statement, decided that he would drop the echolalia and manifest his insanity by scraping the mold off the walls and shoveling it into his mouth. He continued to do this through the rest of the scenario, every time I asked him what his character was doing. Later, when I asked him what he was hoping to accomplish, he told me that he ate the sludge because he heard the brain say that the fungus had transformed the Nazis into gods, and he was hoping that if he ate enough of it, he, too would be granted the same powers. When I asked him why in the hell he thought eating handfuls of mold would transform him into a brain in a jar on top of a robot body, he simply shrugged and told me that it made sense to him at the time.

After that incident, the Power Player politely bowed out of the CoC chronicle, and I began the next session by announcing the sad news that his character had died following a bizarre illness brought on from consuming unhealthy amounts of the unknown ooze. As you can imagine, none of the other players were very upset to see him go.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 02:36:13 AM by IDaMan008 »

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #187 on: February 22, 2010, 06:13:49 PM »
A long string of them here. I'm running a CthulhuTech game at present and the players are all Tagers, people who can become destructive monsters with giant claws and laser mouths at will.

Long story short, the PCs are at a university investigating an artifact they got. Two are with a professor, the other is in the vault below, basically looting their artifact section. The PC in the vault gets tricked by a stealthy enemy psychic and is locked in the vault. He uses his monster form to tear out through the vault door, scaring the security guard so bad he passes out.

After chasing the psychic out of the vault (and ensuring that the 'good guys' where the ones caught on film) while in his monster form and causing panic among the civilians, the PC chooses to open fire on the bad guy in a crowded hallway. Using his cosmic energy "machine gun". He hit but because he was firing at what turned out to be an illusion that didn't matter much at all.

After alot of running, some fire, alot of dead college kids, ducking the police, and some discussion later the PCs figure out that they have been 'infected' by the psychic enemy agent. He's placed a psychic "worm" in their minds which allows him to read their thoughts as well as alter their memories.

Their central organization has cut them off because of this and they have to operate independently. Their first action? Go to the illegal underground magic market for information on mind worms. They find out they need money if they want a counter spell. None of them have income outside their organization so they go to the blood sport arena in the underground and one of the PCs jumps into the pit, easily taking down both of the fighters. The PC then allows the guards to lead him back into the cells where they lock him in. The other two PCs watch as the group dispurse, apparently sure that any moment now the arena 'owner' is going to come over to talk to them. When everyone else is gone they go to the betting booth and eventually manage to convince the man there that they own the PC who dove into the arena.

The PC in the cell changes into his monster form and starts trying to rip his way out of the cell. As he does so the two PCs upstairs are shown into an office where a TV screen clicks on and a man informs them they plan to see the captive PC to the highest bidder. The "leader" PC says they can't because he owns the captive PC to which the man on the screen replies "shapeshifters are extremely valuable." The screen displays a video of the captured PC changing form and thrashing around in his cell.

They fought their way out of it, stopped off long enough to rob the betting office, and ran away. They where really happy until I reminded them that they needed to go back to that same black market, the one they just trashed and got caught transforming on video at, to have the spell cast.

The PC who opened fire in the hallway is the same guy who recently, when told dramatically changing his way of thinking would destory the worm, decided to lock himself in an airtight freezer so he could destory his neutral pathways, then have his friends pull him out later and his supernatural regeneration would bring him back to life. That's the same freezer he keeps his collection of severed arms in.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 06:15:50 PM by Tadanori Oyama »

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 23, 2010, 04:05:55 AM »

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 24, 2010, 02:05:07 PM »
I split Tad's reply about inter-forum posts about the logic of gaming and set it as a new sticky.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #190 on: February 24, 2010, 02:14:16 PM »
I split Tad's reply about inter-forum posts about the logic of gaming and set it as a new sticky.

He turned my post into a topic... I didn't know higher learning gave you magic powers.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #191 on: February 24, 2010, 02:17:50 PM »
going to split your soul into two topics, then lock them.

8)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #192 on: February 24, 2010, 02:19:53 PM »
going to split your soul into two topics, then lock them.

8)

That sounds like a great World of Darkness game with a techno-style Mage villain.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #193 on: March 04, 2010, 03:14:33 PM »
My first time running a Candlewick game was last week and the entire session was spun out of the player's desire to do one another harm.

Five guys, three of which I'd never played with before but who where all friends, and I'm the GM. After spending two hours making characters I drop them off infront of Candlewick manor. Drive leaves, after telling them to wait, and I ask what they do.

One of the players has the skill to hide in small places, so he decides to hide in his trunk. Once he's inside his truck, another player, his best friend, decides to throw the truck into the lake.

The other players made vague statements about how maybe he shouldn't but did nothing to stop him, instead choosing to follow his character to the lake and watch. The player in the truck, having caught wind of the plan, tries to escape, fails, and gets dropped so he rolls down the hill towards the lake and falls in, still in the truck.

Floating, he manages to get out of the truck just as one of the other PCs leaps off of the cliff to "save" him from drowning and says he aims for the trunk.

At that point I pulled out the sea monster Ross used in oneof his Candlewick games to try and get the PCs to unite a little. It sort of worked though two of them choose to run away rather than fight or help.

Lots of Echos got thrown down so when they ended the conflict the PC who started the whole thing (the one who hid in his trunk), managed to have a Revelation. He got "Antagonist" with the Vendetta complicatioon. The only person he'd met in the game so far where the other PCs, so he choose to apply it to the PC who tried to throw him into the lake.

I ended the session there. Most of those guys won't be back next week.

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 05, 2010, 12:57:20 AM »
Player 1 "I hide in the trunk."

player 2 "Lawl I toss the trunk in the lake!"

the only thing that would have made it better is if Player 2 decided to go threw player 1's stuff while he was in the lake.