Author Topic: Favorite character class in 3.5 Dungeons and dragons  (Read 33752 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Favorite character class in 3.5 Dungeons and dragons
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2010, 07:06:33 PM »
The front liner has always held a special place for me. I like playing a cleric because I had heavy armor and could heal if I got hurt so I could just wade in at the front of the fight.

Same thing with the Warblade (thought not nearly as effective) because there's a feat that allows Martial Adepts to regain some hit points when they recover their moves.

Anytime I made somebody who could talk their way out of problems I seldom got the chance to do so, so I just stopped doing it.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2010, 07:14:12 PM »
In epic games, there is a whole lot more talking than fighting.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2010, 07:21:35 PM »

Well I suppose if you have the ranks to actually make someone want to negotiate than, yeah, there's more talking.

There's kind of a disconnect with your stories. Like alot of players I've never played an Epic game of 3.5 or even a really high level one. I just can't really relate to alot of these experiences you bring up.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2010, 07:30:45 PM »
No wonder. It's because I'm such a great GM that I can run a truly epic game.  8) I doubt few people could equal my skills.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2010, 07:44:37 PM »

Well I suppose if you have the ranks to actually make someone want to negotiate than, yeah, there's more talking.

There's kind of a disconnect with your stories. Like alot of players I've never played an Epic game of 3.5 or even a really high level one. I just can't really relate to alot of these experiences you bring up.

I keep trying to convince Ross to run an epic game via skype and maptools that would focus on social skills instead of combat.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2010, 07:45:46 PM »
I keep trying to convince Ross to run an epic game via skype and maptools that would focus on social skills instead of combat.

As someone who's only played two Skype based games and never been in an Epic 3.5 game, I have to say that sounds like it would be horrible.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2010, 07:47:37 PM »
Real Life: The definitive social game.     

Kelkesh123

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • "What would the DC be for eating him whole?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2010, 10:51:50 PM »
Real Life: The definitive social game.     

But...then I'd have to face people.
I JUST CAN'T HANDLE THEIR CRITICISM.
NO ONE UNDERSTANDS ME.

Oh, and I do have to say, I've never played in an Epic level game ever.

But slightly more on topic, less derailed, my favorite class would have to be the cleric. Combat support unit, heals your team, and can fight. I like that.
I generally avoid prestige classes, but I did enjoy the Dualist. It was a delightful change from my cleric days.
"THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!"

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2010, 12:12:18 AM »

As someone who's only played two Skype based games and never been in an Epic 3.5 game, I have to say that sounds like it would be horrible.

I would rather use 4E for an epic game anyway

honestly Iron Heroes is the only d20/3E system I would run these days - I am going to use wild talents instead of M&M

Boyos

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2010, 12:44:16 AM »

You can easly run 5 players on a free vent server. shouldent take too much time setting it up and the quality coming out sounds so much better.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2010, 12:49:39 AM »

You can easly run 5 players on a free vent server. shouldent take too much time setting it up and the quality coming out sounds so much better.

I like vent quite a bit. The most people I've been on a vent server with was probably 15 though.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2010, 12:53:14 AM »
Ive been threw 50+ on a single vent but you have to pay for anything more then a 5 man server. So unless ross wants to shell out more money for something hes gonna only use once it would be a waste. After listing to Tads Rogue Trader game, wich was great, but the problems they had with skype and other pod cast I have listend to on skype, It just seems clear to me that a Free hosted Vent server would be a better option, with ross having 3+ computers it would be easy to set one up as his vent server hosting his group of 5 people in a podcast.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2010, 12:59:05 AM »
Ive been threw 50+ on a single vent but you have to pay for anything more then a 5 man server. So unless ross wants to shell out more money for something hes gonna only use once it would be a waste. After listing to Tads Rogue Trader game, wich was great, but the problems they had with skype and other pod cast I have listend to on skype, It just seems clear to me that a Free hosted Vent server would be a better option, with ross having 3+ computers it would be easy to set one up as his vent server hosting his group of 5 people in a podcast.

The nice thing about vent is that it acts like a two way communicator because you have to hit a button instead of live communication, which is essential for large groups.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2010, 01:06:49 AM »
at the same time you can set up your personal settings to disable the push to talk if you want, but then if your mic is good like mine it picks up my kids playing in the background.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2010, 01:23:16 AM »
hell whoever pays the piper calls the tune so if they want to use vent instead of skype I will just deal