Author Topic: Minis - Holy shit, gripplis!  (Read 29575 times)

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
Minis - Holy shit, gripplis!
« on: March 05, 2010, 11:31:20 AM »
Hey, I was looking on the internets for minis and stumble upon those:

http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/gallery/v_7910_FrogMinstrel.htm
http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/gallery/v_7906_FrogPrince.htm
http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/gallery/v_7908_FrogChampion.htm

Albino grippli anyone?: http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/gallery/v_7909_FrogAssassin.htm

If they were a little less than 10$ I'd probably a lot from this website.

What do you guys use for miniatures?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: Minis - Holy shit, gripplis!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 11:38:07 AM »
Cool.

I use D&D's prepainted minitures from the Skirmish Game and now from their line of D&D minis. I probably have a hundred that work for PCs and half again that monsters including a good collection of the larger monsters done recently. I only started acquiring them about two years ago so I don't have alot of the early pieces, though I got alot of the cheap ones online where you can buy them in bucket filling qualities for cents per mini.

There's really no denying the things are expensive, even if you get the cheap minis. A little snap together pack of 40k minis (which I've gotten several of for games which require a sci-fi bend rather than fantasy) are about eight bucks for four or five minis. 2 bucks each for gray molded plastic.

Luckily, I have a brother who actually plays Warhammer who's willing to paint any minis I buy during his spare time.

Back in High School for D&D 3.5 we used glass animal figurines from tea boxes. Since I had more sheep and zebras than anything else, those played the primarly role as monsters. We played on a home made grid created on a wet erase white board using a green permanent marker and a ruler.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 11:43:16 AM by Tadanori Oyama »

sarendt

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • Alien Weasel Puppy from the planet Tepid :*)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 11:42:37 AM »
Those are amazing!  Totaly cool mini's!  You could paint those up really interestingly too!

-Scott
2242656361757365204920676574206d6F72652062616E6720666F72206D7920636861726163746572207769746820484558203A2A29202d53636f747422

Mckma

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Sometimes Murphy's Law needs to be enforced
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 03:08:43 PM »
In the past my friends and I have just used whatever was small enough (LEGO minifigs, Pokemon pencil toppers, whatever).  Now with another group, we have two starter sets of minis (mostly monsters) that each of the characters uses one of.  For monsters we usually use monster tokens or my old Pokemon card damage counters...

I should look into buying one of these alleged buckets of figures, I would really like some minis...

robotkarateman

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Mulsk!
    • View Profile
    • AARG roleplaying system
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 03:47:54 PM »

I've got a friend who's got 20 years worth of painted minis from all kinds of games. I'm constantly trying to come up with things I 'need' a mini for that he doesn't have. Invariably, he'll have one the next week.

I also look for things that aren't gaming minis that I can use. As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm currently buying Safari Ltd animals for a campaign based on The Mysterious Island. I've also used plastic dinosaurs (the ones that come in a tube have velociraptors that are beautifully scaled for regular minis), I've used the Mongoose Games' Starship Trooper bugs, and I've even used a Mechwarrior construction mech to represent a steampunk robot.

Lately, I've taken to drawing critters in photoshop and printing them out for custom minis.

I bought a bunch of card bases to stand them up with. They work a champ - except when I did a giant bug and it was paper thin on the table. I've got to rethink that design.
GENERALA, my free dungeon-crawling RPG, is now available! And it's free!

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 04:55:47 PM »
Print it on card stock.

robotkarateman

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Mulsk!
    • View Profile
    • AARG roleplaying system
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 05:01:50 PM »
No no, what I mean is that a bug that should be 10' wide to the characters is the width of a piece of paper on the table. Even with cardstock the width proportion is off compared to the minis. Figures on either side of the beast could be right next to each other on the table when they should be an inch apart.

I've thought about making a triangular tent-style paper mini and seeing how that works. I'm going to test it next time there's something big for them to fight.
GENERALA, my free dungeon-crawling RPG, is now available! And it's free!

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 06:16:25 PM »
Frog champion looks like one amphibian you don't want to pick a fight with.

Maze

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 06:35:01 PM »
Lately, I've taken to drawing critters in photoshop and printing them out for custom minis.

I bought a bunch of card bases to stand them up with. They work a champ - except when I did a giant bug and it was paper thin on the table. I've got to rethink that design.

That's an awesome idea. God, what didn't I think of that!

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 07:34:10 PM »
Quote from: Maze link=topic=577.msg10205#msg10205 date=1267806680

[/quote

Ross has my minis and tries to get his bearded dragon to eat them.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Maze

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 07:56:07 PM »
Oh, is this the one?
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 09:55:05 PM »
Oh, is this the one?
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

That would be the bearded dragon in question, yes.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 11:43:14 PM »
No no, what I mean is that a bug that should be 10' wide to the characters is the width of a piece of paper on the table. Even with cardstock the width proportion is off compared to the minis. Figures on either side of the beast could be right next to each other on the table when they should be an inch apart.

I've thought about making a triangular tent-style paper mini and seeing how that works. I'm going to test it next time there's something big for them to fight.

Well I think for that situation your gonna have to make it more 3D then perhaps incude a side version of the bug to give it the size your looking for. But yeah your idea of for a single tile size guy is great.

Boyos

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 11:45:05 PM »
Hey, I was looking on the internets for minis and stumble upon those:

http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/gallery/v_7910_FrogMinstrel.htm
http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/gallery/v_7906_FrogPrince.htm
http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/gallery/v_7908_FrogChampion.htm

Albino grippli anyone?: http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/gallery/v_7909_FrogAssassin.htm

If they were a little less than 10$ I'd probably a lot from this website.

Just now got to click your links. Wow thats some cool looking frogs. The champion and the Spy VS Spy are amazing.

Sean-o-tron

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • heard nonsense
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 01:46:20 AM »
Yeah, paper minis are pretty much awesome.

I've made about 5x that amount more since I took the picture and I'm such a huge nerd I have a Flickr account full of this kind of nerd cataloging.  Stuff like Descent, Heroscape, and the Pirates CCG.

One Monk Miniatures is a great place to graze for free downloadable paper mini sets, both in the Downloads and Forum section.

... so hey, those Grippli-style minis are something else, eh?