Author Topic: 5 Best Video Game RPGs  (Read 24110 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
Re: 5 Best Video Game RPGs
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 12:33:10 PM »
I remember playing FFX for the first time. First PS2 game I'd ever played, me and some friends tag teamed it for like eight hours. Massive amount of fun. I loved when you finally broke through some sphere lock that'd be holding you back and you have a ton of saved nodes so you got to rush across the board and jump your power a massive degree... ah, good times.

Mason

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • he who laughs last, didn't get it.
    • View Profile
    • my myspace page
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 01:49:08 PM »
1) star wars: knights of the old republic- great game with a great twist.

2) mass effect-the fact that your given so much to do in the universe makes this a great game, also it reminds me a lot of KOTOR.

3)fallout 3 - I love the depth your character can attain and the choices you get to make right off the back. destroy megaton city, don't destroy megaton. kill the overseer don't kill the overseer. great stuff.

4)way of the samurai- this was an over looked PS2 game that had like nine different endings. depending on who you fought or didn't fight.

5) Star Wars : knights of the old republic 2- because I'm a Bioware whore.

I don't consider any of the final fantasy games RPGs  because your not given a choice. your not really roleplaying your following a set of events that you cant affect. only real choice you get is how you stat up your character. these games (to me) are considered adventure games like zelda and metroid. this doesn't make them bad by any stretch of the imagination but I do feel they're placed in the wrong category.
"a Kenyan man once told me you can get use to anything when money is involved... he use to stick mice up his ass for twenty dollars a pop." -Spider Jerusalem

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 05:04:25 PM »
No mention of the PC classic Darklands? Heathens.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

dragonshaos

• Amateur DM
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 05:31:43 AM »
This seemed to be the only place I could really put this.  Found it while surfin, pretty funny and true.

The Grand List Of Console Role Playing Game Clichés
http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 11:02:23 PM »
Did anyone NOT kill the overseer? He's kind of a dick. They all were.

Zeernebooch

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 02:00:08 AM »
On one or two of my saves I let him live. most of the other ones i decided to give in to my inner murderer and shoot him in the face
Welcome to dying! I don't let it out! Welcome to dying! Look to the mirror it
shows what I am! Welcome to dying!This town must burn now! Welcome to dying!
Can't you see the dragon's seed bears in me, the one who's been before!
-- Welcome to Dying by Blind Guardian

Mason

• View Profile
    • my myspace page
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 02:39:47 PM »
granted. he was defiantly douch-a-rific.
"a Kenyan man once told me you can get use to anything when money is involved... he use to stick mice up his ass for twenty dollars a pop." -Spider Jerusalem

Zeernebooch

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 04:53:08 PM »
not as douchey as those lamplight kids.Now I know why my buddy wes bitches about not being able to kill children....
Welcome to dying! I don't let it out! Welcome to dying! Look to the mirror it
shows what I am! Welcome to dying!This town must burn now! Welcome to dying!
Can't you see the dragon's seed bears in me, the one who's been before!
-- Welcome to Dying by Blind Guardian

Maze

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 06:00:06 PM »
Did anyone else felt kind of rejected after being kicked out of the vault a second time? For some reason I really felt sad for my character. I wasn't crying or anything, but that game got to me in ways that very few game do. Well, most of the time it's just this overall depressing feeling you get from seeing a world in shambles after a nuclear holocaust.

...You know, we should probably start a Fallout 3 thread. There's enough to talk about to make a complete derail.

Otherwise, anybody played The World Ends with You? If not, anyone hasn't but owns a DS? If you do, get it... seriously.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 06:07:35 PM »
My first play I let the guy be. Tried to play without killing anyone. That plan lasted about two minute.

Mason

• View Profile
    • my myspace page
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 03:29:45 PM »
the game sets you up to kill him, I almost think his daughter wanted him dead. "here is a gun with some bullets, try and get out of here alive." that two timing bitch.

I want to play that game "the world ends with you" but alas I dont have a DS. IM only slightly hesitant to purchase the two. on one hand the cover art reminds me of kingdom heart, which was an awesume game and anyone who says other wise will have their balls removed through their anus. but then I heard that you get powers based on the clothes you were, which then reminds me of final fantasy X2 where your powers were to change clothes. either switch way, is "the world ends with you" any good?

Maze

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 04:45:16 PM »
It is an AMAZING game. The art is pretty cool. The music fits well. The main character is kinda of emo but he becomes a okay guy after a couple of chapters. The story is pretty good and has some interesting twist.

The combat is basically done with the stylus, you don't actuallly change your clothes, you just collect pins. These pins each have their own powers and when used can be leveled up. The ones you wear even level up when you're NOT playing. (up to 4-5 days). You can have five pins, and each one have their own way of being used and cooldown time.

For example, I have a kind of energy sword that lets me slash across an enemy with my stylus to deal damage. Another one that lets me click on object such as cars or construction cones to pick them up and fly them around to deal damage. I have one that when I click it heals me and another one that is an upward slash. There's some that require you to blow in the mike but that's kinda gay when you play on the bus.

It's kinda pokemon in that way, depending one which section of the city you see different enemies and your pins will be enhanced or reduced.

Also, while you're struggling to fight enemies, you have a supporting character at the top screen that also fight those enemies with a simple set of controls. You have to match signs in a certain order to do certain attacks and at some point, you can also do synchronized super attacks. If you don't touch anything, the supporting character will auto-control itself, but it's pretty useful to control him as well. It's got good replayability value because you can collect more pins and there's a mode that gives you more information about the plot. It's always fun to play for 10 minutes on the bus or on the bowl, once you've beaten it.

Check on youtube for cool videos of it:
<a href="" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win"></a>

My judgement: Get it.

Flawless P

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 11:35:19 PM »
My favs
FF V
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Evermore(like secret of mana but more interesting)
KoTOR
Fallout 3

I wanna play demon souls really bad but cant buy it right now.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
If you can't fix it with duck tape you haven't used enough.
I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Maze

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2010, 01:59:16 AM »
I wanna play demon souls really bad but cant buy it right now.

Ha, I've just witness my friend's brother have his character drained of 11 lvls by a boss. He went from lvl66 to lvl55. He was soooo mad. I can appreciate a sadistic game.

Zeriken

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2010, 03:30:11 PM »
Lol, there is an easy way to fight King Allant without getting level drains (I farm him in my spare time, online). Anyways, Demon's Souls is pretty hardcore. I go with a melee build whom I have named 'Guts.' Melee build is one of the most difficult builds in the game to run, especially if you don't use any ranged.

The game is really fun.

@Cody

Yea, WKC is an alright game. It has a reincarnation system like Disgaea's, though you can only do it 4 times before it becomes pretty ineffective (And you can only access it at the endgame). From what I have experienced, it kind of turns into WoW once you beat the story mode; you basically need to complete quests in order to get a higher Guild Level so that you can get better weapons and armor. You also need to craft your own weapons and armor. It's kind of fun XD.

Anyone ever play Spectral Forces 3? One of my favorite characters was Dragan, who had a special attack that could hit half the map. I equipped him with an item that allowed him to move before and after an attack, and I had the healer refill his sp to full every turn. This allowed him to use his special move and pretty much hit whatever he wanted to every turn. He would say "Hey you! Don't you dare move! I'm gonna smack you right in the face!"

Guy was pretty epic.
Magadheera - Must find sub of this movie.