Author Topic: I am a horrible monster because I didn't let a player control another PC  (Read 83405 times)

AmishNinja

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
    • View Profile
    • NaturalOne
Echoing the others who have said that Ross made the right decision in the game. Allowing one PC to control another via social skill is so fundamentally wrong to me. Story's about them, and that's why NPCs, who take a narrative backseat to the players, are able to be affected by those types of skills. Aside from magic/divine intervention, PC vs PC intrigue should be handled purely via RP.

Also gonna second the idea that Cody guest-star on the next episode.

rayner23

• President of the Apparatus of Kwalish fan club
  • Machine. Unexpectantly, I invented a time
    • View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
Ross called me and said, "So, since you shoe-horned yourself into this week's episode, when can you come by and do the show?"

Thanks fans!

Also, Patrick, I had planned on reigning in the swear words for this one. I know, it's a bit of a stretch, but I think I can handle it.
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
Also, Patrick, I had planned on reigning in the swear words for this one. I know, it's a bit of a stretch, but I think I can handle it.

Where the hell did this come from?

EDIT: Oh, never mind, I completely forgot about the "colorfully phrased" crack I made on the previous page.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 04:55:19 PM by Setherick »
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog

Where the hell did this come from?

EDIT: Oh, never mind, I completely forgot about the "colorfully phrased" crack I made on the previous page.

It's cool, I forgot to click "quote"
I'm from Alaska. About Fifty miles south of Ankorage there's a little fishing town, maybe you've heard of it, it's called fuck your momma.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
The stream of obscenities best be a flowing!

malyss

• I dream in graph paper lines
  • Gimme some sugar baby.
    • View Profile

Isn't it more like a waterfall?

FuzzyDan

• I am worth 100 points in GURPS...ladies
  • Official Keeper of The Line.
    • View Profile

If so, we'd better not chase it.
- Dan, Adding one to his Darkspiral Aura.

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog

If so, we'd better not chase it.

Dan brings up a great public service announcement, but I would like to go further and say that you need to stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to.

RobJustice

• Slayer of the Dread Gazebo
    • View Profile
Man, this topic has spiraled out of control! Haha.

Anyway, I made a TON of comment discussing this issue with someone else on the IoM article. Figured I'd spout off a bit here too. I wouldn't have gotten into podcasting if I didn't love giving my opinion on things. haha.

While I disagree with totally shutting down a player's ability to attempt any sort of mechanical ability I also disagree with anyone who says Ross made the wrong call. Or that he's a horrible monster. Well, he might be a horrible monster... I don't know him THAT well.

I honestly don't think this issue has a right side and a wrong side. Now, I do disagree and I would have done things differently. This does not, in any way, mean Ross made the wrong call. He made the call that he was most comfortable with under that situation. To me, that's the right call no matter how you look at it.

This also makes me sad face panda bear that I skipped out on recording with RPPR last week. I was just so desperate for a break from recording I didn't even think that we had a fantastic topic given to us to discuss. Oh well, live and learn. haha.

ShotgunSurgeon

doctorscraps

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
    • View Profile
http://ideologyofmadness.spookyouthouse.com//archives/11649

I ran an Age of Masks game at Fear the Con 3 last weekend. A player tries to persuade another PC of a certain plan and tries to use the persuasion skill to do so - not a supernatural ability just regular old diplomacy. I said no because I think that players have agency over their own PC - you can't force another PC to do something without an actual supernatural power. This guy thinks otherwise.

DISCUSS

I don't agree with the practice. What one should do is role-play it out and sell the character on the plan than trying to go with a I-Win dice roll.
When the GM can't roll higher than a ten on the D20, he see's his plot points flash before his eyes.

Boyos

• View Profile
http://ideologyofmadness.spookyouthouse.com//archives/11649

I ran an Age of Masks game at Fear the Con 3 last weekend. A player tries to persuade another PC of a certain plan and tries to use the persuasion skill to do so - not a supernatural ability just regular old diplomacy. I said no because I think that players have agency over their own PC - you can't force another PC to do something without an actual supernatural power. This guy thinks otherwise.

DISCUSS

I don't agree with the practice. What one should do is role-play it out and sell the character on the plan than trying to go with a I-Win dice roll.

Thats what the guy did at first, and when that failed he tryed the dice.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
My reply:

First off, kudos to digging out those flower beds. Totally badass.

"Now for some intelligent conversation on the subject, go check out this week’s Podge Cast where Luke, Adam/David, and Eric discuss the issue at length.  It’s the best discussion on the topic yet, and I’m not saying that because they mostly agree with me."

Let's face it, that's EXACTLY why you're saying it's the best discussion on the topic yet.

Listen up, scrote, and let's look at some bare bones facts that the incomparable RPPR folks forgot to mention: 1) You're a douche (maybe they touched on that.)
2) As your header so astutely puts it, this topic won't die. I think the main reason for this is because you want to continue to debate something that is such a moot point. It was one ruling at the end of a CONVENTION game. Ross shut you down because you tried to rob a player of free will, but he also shut you down so he could just end the fucking game and move on with his life.
 3)I think you said it best yourself: "I can also accepts that the game we were playing that day, Wild Talents, did not have a social combat system." Wild Talents doesn't have a social combat system, therefore, you can't impose your persuasion on another PC. Had you been playing a game that featured a social combat system, then Ross would be in the wrong. You can't impose rules from one game to another. Are you the kind of guy who tries to play Monopoly with Twister rules? You: "Left foot blue means I get to take Boardwalk and Park Place!" GM: "That makes no sense and you can't do that." You: "WAAAAH WAAAAAH!!! I'M GONNA BLOG ABOUT IT NOW!!!! AND THEN I WILL DO IT AGAIN!!!!"

You know who else makes up their own rules to win in a game? Children. You: "Pew pew pew! I shot you with my laser!" Some other asshole kid: "No you didn't! I have an anti-laser shield!" You: "Well, I have a gun that shoots through laser shields!" SOAK: "Well, I dropped a laser-jamming grenade earlier, but you didn't see it." You: "My gun was made by Tony Stark and it is immune to anti-laser grenades."

I certainly hope you're not reading this as you planting flowers because I'm sure it's gonna be hell on those petunias.

rayner23

• View Profile
    • Paladin Curse Blog
I also just posted a youtube link to "Damn it feels good to be a gangsta"