Author Topic: Dirk Daring Appreciation Thread  (Read 25568 times)

wrotenbe

• Zombie Apocalypse Survivor
  • RAWRF
    • View Profile
Dirk Daring Appreciation Thread
« on: April 02, 2009, 01:19:26 AM »
I just want to take this opportunity to single out one of the heroes of roleplaying lore; Dirk Daring. There is a constant criticism about DMPCs stealing the spotlight from the PCs, but I find that criticism to be fueled almost completely by the petty jealousies of simple people. Whenever the PCs having trouble in an encounter, who do they turn to? Dirk Daring. When the puzzle is too hard to solve, who solves it? Dirk Daring. When an NPC refuses to give up some crucial piece of info, who gets them to finally crack? Dirk Daring. Instead of complaining that the game has 'devolved into a reading of the GM's self-fellating Gary Stu fanfic', I think it's about time to give credit where credit is due.

So, come on people, man up and give props to the man who saves every session. You should all notice that the Actual Play session ended in disaster because of ONE crucial mistake; Dirk Daring was absent. He could have dodged Azathoth, sure, but he would've mowed him down first with three tommy guns (one being attached to a codpiece and fired using his cock) and then shoved a stick of TNT down those stupid piping appendages before the gibbering mass even had a chance to react.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: Dirk Daring Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 02:29:03 AM »
Do you mean Dick Marvel from Achy Breaky Mythos or am I forgetting someone?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 02:32:00 AM »
Wasn't Dirk Daring the dude who punched out a cultist and then used him as a human shield as he walked down a hotel hallway towards the other cultists while shooting back by bracing his arm on the captive's shoulder?

wrotenbe

• RAWRF
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 03:16:52 AM »

You mention him in the Actual Play at 1:00 when you recap the last session where Dirk Daring helped them fight the Cult of Cthulhu. Dick Marvel is an analogy for disgusting GM abuse of pet NPCs, I don't sense any of that in the majesty that is Dirk Daring and I'm a little insulted you'd make such a comparison.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 03:18:31 AM by wrotenbe »

Maze

• Global Moderator
  • Oregon Trail 13 Superstar
  • Azathoth Janitorial Services
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 09:14:56 AM »

That Dirk The Daring?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 12:36:23 PM »

You mention him in the Actual Play at 1:00 when you recap the last session where Dirk Daring helped them fight the Cult of Cthulhu. Dick Marvel is an analogy for disgusting GM abuse of pet NPCs, I don't sense any of that in the majesty that is Dirk Daring and I'm a little insulted you'd make such a comparison.

FFFF I forgot because of the rage around losing an ENTIRE CAMPAIGN due to TOM'S STUPIDNESS

but yeah dirk daring is p cool

Tom Church

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 02:04:56 PM »
But Ross, ruining everything you do is the only thing that makes me want to get up in the morning.  Seriously, if I couldn't shatter your dreams, what the fuck to I have?

It keeps me up nights.
"The upper class keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes.  The middle class pays all of the taxes and does all of the work.  The poor are there just to scare the shit out of the middle class.  Keep them showing up at those 'jobs'."  George Carlin

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 02:25:09 PM »
But Ross, ruining everything you do is the only thing that makes me want to get up in the morning.  Seriously, if I couldn't shatter your dreams, what the fuck to I have?

It keeps me up nights.

>:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(  >:(

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 02:29:58 PM »
As someone who's imagined Ross's upset face many times from listening to the podcasts, seeing a digital representation of it is amazingly funny.

Also, it helps set a sense of scale.

Continually ruining Ross's dreams? Six froans. We have a bench mark!

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 05:13:19 PM »
BACK ON TOPIC

Dirk Daring was totally awesome and the fact that I destroyed all of my EXTENSIVE notes and backstory about him is a great loss for gaming. In one session, Dirk saved the Yithians from total destruction by inventing a TARDIS and fighting the flying polyps in a one man war. The players helped by keeping the TARDIS clean of polyp guts.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 05:34:36 PM »
Ah, so that's how Dirk Daring traveled back and taught the Shoggoth how to think and lead their rebel against the cruelly oppressive Elder Things. And the players, who where supposed to write it all down, got it screwed up and couldn't keep the names straight.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 09:42:08 PM »
Wasn't Dirk Daring the dude who punched out a cultist and then used him as a human shield as he walked down a hotel hallway towards the other cultists while shooting back by bracing his arm on the captive's shoulder?

No, that was Orlen Johnson. One of my characters in Masks.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 11:41:26 PM »
Johnson! I couldn't remember the name for the life of me. He got tossed through time and space or something right?

wrotenbe

• RAWRF
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 01:47:52 AM »
I never saw Ross's notes, but I overheard someone at GenCon '05 saying he'd seen Dirk Daring parachute from his personal bi-plane into a theater where a deranged performing arts group were doing their own interpretive dance rendition of 'The King in Yellow'. He proved that night that a man can maintain his masculinity while pirouetting if can fire dual shotguns into another man's chest at the same time. The players had spent weeks infiltrating the backstage crew and that came in really handy when Dirk took his bows and let the PCs draw the curtain in a suitably cinematic way on his ballet of carnage. The reviews were overall positive, though some people did object to the Dirk's maypole of human intestines. Critics, pffft.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 01:50:56 AM by wrotenbe »

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 10:53:58 AM »
Johnson! I couldn't remember the name for the life of me. He got tossed through time and space or something right?

He did. He also will (re)appear in an actual play that Ross has yet to post. Over spring break, my wife and I made it back down to Springfield from Milwaukee for the first time in two years. Also check this post for future Johnson stories.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read