Author Topic: GenCon Preparations  (Read 87873 times)

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
GenCon Preparations
« on: March 22, 2010, 04:45:05 PM »
It's a little early for this topic but since registration is open, housing is filling up, and event registration is only a few weeks off, I figured this would be a good time to get some GenCon thread action going.

This year is going to be my first GenCon and I've gotten the rough details done. I have a badge purchased (though I don't actually have it in my hand yet), a room reserved off site, travel to and from the city arranged, and at least a general idea of the major events ahead of me.

So, to put it as openly as possible, what is everybody's GenCon plan for this year?

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
Re: GenCon Preparations
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 04:57:12 PM »
plans

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 05:07:15 PM »
Ross plans to found a new nation and support the American lifestyle. Do we have a one up?

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 11:48:57 AM »
So I plan to take it "easy" my first time around and keep most of my schedule free to wander around and see all the crazy shit that's out there. I'll probably only sign up for one game a day to keep the schedule light and then try to keep some generic tickets on hand in case I get the chance to slip into an opening, or just hang around the library and see what happens.

Gotta play in at least one Ross Payton game, just to see what all the fuss is about. At least one Call of Cthulhu game and a One Roll Engine game (both of which I have never gotten the chance to be a player in).

I want to hunt down some of my favorite designers and writers, maybe get them to sign something. James Wyatt, Greg Stolze, Scott Glancy, the staff at Wildfire, see if I can find Matt Vancil somewhere.

I want to run a game, but I'm not sure if it's a great idea to do so my first year out.

ArtfulShrapnel

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 01:09:57 PM »
I'm in the same boat as you, Tad. There's also the issue of Violet coming along with me. We want to make sure we get in on the same games, because we so rarely get to game together. (I'm usually the GM)

I'd love the idea of running a game, but I feel like I want to actually play in a con game first.

Unfortunately I still need to sort out a place to stay at the con. :( I have a ticket already, but until I find a place to crash within walking distance, I'm SOL. I don't know anyone in town, and you can't rent a car until age 25(!) now. I'd also rather not pay thru the nose for a rental and parking...

Hopefully that will get sorted in the next couple weeks, then me and Violet can sign up for all of Ross's games together. (Joking... probably just most of them.)

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 01:40:11 PM »
You can always run games unofficially like I did with Mysteries of Mesoamerica.

I recommend planning ahead of time to figure out what things you must do and secondary goals if you find you have some spare time. Try to shoot for some diversity - some panels, workshops, seminars, games, demos, social events etc.

clockworkjoe

• BUY MY BOOK
  • Administrator
  • Extreme XP CEO
    • View Profile
    • BUY MY BOOK
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 01:41:30 PM »
oh and I'll probably run a RPPR fan game unofficially at least once. No promises but even if you guys cant get into my official games, I'll try to make sure you can play at least once. 

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 02:21:27 PM »
Unofficial is likely to be my stock in trade for this particular event.

Getting around isn't as hard as you'd think, based on the research I've done. Off site hotels are cheaper and most offer ways to get to the Con. GenCon isn't the only thing that happens at the convention center so alot of the airport hotels have shuttle service (the one I'm used does, I made sure to check on it) that'll take you downtown. There's also the "greenline" express bus that leaves from the airport and hits all the big hotels downtown so you can use that as well. It's $7 to ride it but that's 1/4 what a cab normally costs.

I've been hanging around the GenCon forums to get advise, and there is alot of advise to get.

ArtfulShrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 10:54:47 AM »
Unofficial is likely to be my stock in trade for this particular event.

Getting around isn't as hard as you'd think, based on the research I've done. Off site hotels are cheaper and most offer ways to get to the Con. GenCon isn't the only thing that happens at the convention center so alot of the airport hotels have shuttle service (the one I'm used does, I made sure to check on it) that'll take you downtown. There's also the "greenline" express bus that leaves from the airport and hits all the big hotels downtown so you can use that as well. It's $7 to ride it but that's 1/4 what a cab normally costs.

I've been hanging around the GenCon forums to get advise, and there is alot of advise to get.

Oh, cool. Which hotel are you using? Might try and get a room at the same place so I have someone to hang with after the con.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 11:13:13 AM »
Sleep Inn West, at the airport. I'm trying to get them to give me the shuttle schedule but the lady answering the phone says that they don't have the actual schedule until the week before the event. Still, if they normally have a schedule than they normally have a shuttle, so still a win for me.

I actually went with the place because it's the cheapest room price I saw.

ArtfulShrapnel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 11:43:01 AM »
Sounds like a plan to me. I'll try and get a room there myself. At least then if there's trouble with shuttle we can chip in together on cab/car/whatever. or just run some unofficial games at OUR hotel.

We don't need no stinking con! The party will come to US.  ;D

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 11:46:39 AM »
Sweet. I don't think we'll have much trouble luring the party to our hotel given how many people are gonna be in town for GenCon. Plenty of cool stuff to do in all the hotels.

Which reminds me: Hey Ross, have you ever checked out "The Ram"? There's people on the GenCon forums who won't shut up about the place. Supposed to be very pro-gamer.

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 12:36:13 PM »
Sleep Inn West, at the airport. I'm trying to get them to give me the shuttle schedule but the lady answering the phone says that they don't have the actual schedule until the week before the event. Still, if they normally have a schedule than they normally have a shuttle, so still a win for me.

I actually went with the place because it's the cheapest room price I saw.

Have you looked into renting a car for the few days that you'll be there? Well, never mind, the cheapest price that Orbitz lists for GenCon week is 20/day. It's still cheaper to take the shuttle back and forth.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 12:43:26 PM »
I don't drive. I've never liked to drive and I don't have a license. I walk, bus, bike, or bum rides when I need to get around, hince my intense interest in finding a hotel with a shuttle service (though somebody to slip cab fair with isn't a bad back-up plan).

Setherick

• Administrator
  • Cosmic Horror: 1d10/1d100 SAN loss
  • Economies of Scale
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 12:53:52 PM »
I don't drive. I've never liked to drive and I don't have a license. I walk, bus, bike, or bum rides when I need to get around, hince my intense interest in finding a hotel with a shuttle service (though somebody to slip cab fair with isn't a bad back-up plan).

You must live in a city with decent public transit.
"Something smart so that I can impress people I don't know." - Some Author I've Not Read