Author Topic: GenCon Preparations  (Read 87875 times)

ristarr

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
Re: GenCon Preparations
« Reply #180 on: August 09, 2010, 07:41:58 PM »
Big thanks again to Ross for entertaining us at Gen Con. Operation Endgame was funny and enjoyable even if I got taken out early. Aaron of all people was the one to initiate the PvP. I was proud. Afterward, Ross ran a brutal Delta Green scenario (seriously, ask him about Artifact Zero sometime and he'll explain) for some of us afterward was also a good time.

Agreed!  The RPPR crew was great at Gencon.  After a successful Road Trip, I ended up with a 50% survival rate in their games.  It was great to meet and game with everyone.

Also I'm gonna plug the Jenga-based horror game Dread for anyone who doesn't know about it. I played in a session of it on Saturday night and it was amazing. There were six players and we all got really into our characters/the scenario. Hell, I'd be willing to run one for next year's Gen Con if there's another RPPR meetup.

I agree here also.  Dread is a lot of fun for players and GMs alike.  It is great to see the fear in the player's eyes as they approach an already teetering tower.  The suspense really gets amped up. 
I used the jenga tower mechanic in a recent 4e game to simulate how long it was going to take for an airship the characters were riding in to blow up.  They ended knocking down the tower way too early though.  But it helped their ultimate survival.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #181 on: August 10, 2010, 12:21:32 PM »
sounded like fun.

Did... did you  get to touch Ross or Tom or Aaron or Jason or anyone?

I know I touched Ross. Pretty sure I made skin contact with Aaron and maybe Jason. Looking back I don't know if I did with Tom, which is kind of weird since I sat next to him for the better part of an hour. I wish I had though, Tom is an entertaining gentleman. And it turns out Aaron is also enjoyable company. I only saw Jason for like an hour, during the Operation game.

In which, by the way, a certain artist felt I needed to die!

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 10, 2010, 01:26:29 PM »
sounded like fun.

Did... did you  get to touch Ross or Tom or Aaron or Jason or anyone?

I know I touched Ross. Pretty sure I made skin contact with Aaron and maybe Jason. Looking back I don't know if I did with Tom, which is kind of weird since I sat next to him for the better part of an hour. I wish I had though, Tom is an entertaining gentleman. And it turns out Aaron is also enjoyable company. I only saw Jason for like an hour, during the Operation game.

In which, by the way, a certain artist felt I needed to die!

hmmmmm

Who will be GMing?

there is no gm, apparently
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 01:28:31 PM by Kroack »

ristarr

• I dream in graph paper lines
    • View Profile
    • Underwater Blues
« Reply #183 on: August 10, 2010, 02:04:57 PM »
Tad, have you made it home yet?  You had a mighty long drive ahead of you.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #184 on: August 10, 2010, 04:10:11 PM »
Tad, have you made it home yet?  You had a mighty long drive ahead of you.

We drove like hell and I took of Sunday morning since I didn't have anything else planned to do. Two 19 hours drive sessions wit a few hours sleep between and I'm home. Got in late last night. I remember sitting in a Perkins at the Iowa/Wisconsin border looking at the map of how far we'd come after the first 15 hours and comparing that to the distances from Indianapolis to Springfield or Atlanta. I believe the words "lucky fuckers" came up more than once.

Ross was the GM Kroack. This was the first (maybe now annual) RPPR Fan Meet Up so Ross ran same stuff after we'd talked and gotten dinner. We had a massive game (eight players) made up for RPPR "crew" and RPPR fans. Then, since everything went crazy so fast, Ross ran a second game which only the RPPR fans played in (except for Shrapnel and spouse who had to take off). So that was me, Murph, ristarr, and AmishNinja. The three of them where Delta Green agents and was the friendly. I kept eating egg salad and throwing up. Out of character I think we figured out what the "problem" was pretty damn fast but having no idea what was causing it or how to was spread or what the fuck to do about it, the game spiraled into this insane cluster fuck as we ran around trying not to die (which we failed at, across the board).

Less said the better, since the game was recorded and might somebody see the light of day (on the internet) in the event Ross has to throw more fodder into the next ransom reward pile. Personally I can't wait since I'm in love with the sound of my own voice. My only regrete is that I didn't make people say my name on the recording more.

Kroack

• I walk between the rain drops, tommy gun and katana in hand
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 10, 2010, 05:59:05 PM »
Tad, have you made it home yet?  You had a mighty long drive ahead of you.

We drove like hell and I took of Sunday morning since I didn't have anything else planned to do. Two 19 hours drive sessions wit a few hours sleep between and I'm home. Got in late last night. I remember sitting in a Perkins at the Iowa/Wisconsin border looking at the map of how far we'd come after the first 15 hours and comparing that to the distances from Indianapolis to Springfield or Atlanta. I believe the words "lucky fuckers" came up more than once.

Ross was the GM Kroack. This was the first (maybe now annual) RPPR Fan Meet Up so Ross ran same stuff after we'd talked and gotten dinner. We had a massive game (eight players) made up for RPPR "crew" and RPPR fans. Then, since everything went crazy so fast, Ross ran a second game which only the RPPR fans played in (except for Shrapnel and spouse who had to take off). So that was me, Murph, ristarr, and AmishNinja. The three of them where Delta Green agents and was the friendly. I kept eating egg salad and throwing up. Out of character I think we figured out what the "problem" was pretty damn fast but having no idea what was causing it or how to was spread or what the fuck to do about it, the game spiraled into this insane cluster fuck as we ran around trying not to die (which we failed at, across the board).

Less said the better, since the game was recorded and might somebody see the light of day (on the internet) in the event Ross has to throw more fodder into the next ransom reward pile. Personally I can't wait since I'm in love with the sound of my own voice. My only regrete is that I didn't make people say my name on the recording more.

Oh well i was talking about the game Fiasco, but it sounds like the RRPR meet up was a ton of fun. Maybe next year, I'll actually be able to get to Gencon.

Tadanori Oyama

• Extreme XP CEO
  • The Full Time GM
    • View Profile
    • Full Time GM
« Reply #186 on: August 11, 2010, 01:17:05 AM »
I might be looking for roommates, Kroack, assuming you can get a pass and get to the city. I really want to stay at the Hyatt next year. I have at least one dude lined up to help share some of the cost already but he isn't extremely dependable.